Grace wants to join Holbrook

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We here a lot when coaches move that they may take their best players with them to the new club.  But does it really happen that often?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Doesn't read that he wants to actually go to the NRL just if he had the choice he would go to Gold Coast. 

He says he would like to play in the NRL, but if you asked any ambitious player if they would like to test themselves at a higher level they are bound to say yes. 

Story fabricated out of nothing IMHO. 

Considering the relative salary caps you could re-frame the question as, "Would you like to get paid twice as much for doing the same job?" and of course they'll say yes.

Australia is a very nice place to live though so if I was a 20 - 25-year-old mechanic or a bank teller and someone offered me a 3-year contract in Oz, I'd definitely consider it.

23 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Considering the relative salary caps you could re-frame the question as, "Would you like to get paid twice as much for doing the same job?" and of course they'll say yes.

Australia is a very nice place to live though so if I was a 20 - 25-year-old mechanic or a bank teller and someone offered me a 3-year contract in Oz, I'd definitely consider it.

There wouldn’t be much considering surely?

Listening to the full eighty minutes podcast, whenever they have any player on you often hear them talk about the dream of playing NRL. It would surely show a lack of ambition not to want to go. Not just on the field but off the field, to get recognition from the media and the general public would be too appealing.

We need to do all we can to keep our talent over here (or in France or Canada). Time passes and things change. Who knows, in a few years the NRL may find their next TV deal is lower, exchange rates could revert to historic levels, we could get a cash injection through a bumper TV deal...

Life is uncertain, but we have to do all we can to aim for parity, even if it is off the back, say, of 2 well backed NA teams and 2 French teams. 

It is a shame that it is now the perceived wisdom that any player worth their salts must want to play in the NRL. I know it’s true, but I don’t like it. 

6 minutes ago, DC77 said:

There wouldn’t be much considering surely?

Listening to the full eighty minutes podcast, whenever they have any player on you often hear them talk about the dream of playing NRL. It would surely show a lack of ambition not to want to go. Not just on the field but off the field, to get recognition from the media and the general public would be too appealing.

If I was trying to get into the England team, what better way than to play against Vunivalu and Maumalo and Addo-Carr etc, week in, week out and show the selectors what you can do? It's not just "playing in the NRL" it's auditioning against the very players you will have to face at Test Level.

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

If I was trying to get into the England team, what better way than to play against Vunivalu and Maumalo and Addo-Carr etc, week in, week out and show the selectors what you can do? It's not just "playing in the NRL" it's auditioning against the very players you will have to face at Test Level.

Luckily he's Welsh so doesn't need to try that hard to make the team.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Can't think of a single reason !!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

He might prefer Blackpool.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

We need to do all we can to keep our talent over here (or in France or Canada). Time passes and things change. Who knows, in a few years the NRL may find their next TV deal is lower, exchange rates could revert to historic levels, we could get a cash injection through a bumper TV deal...

Life is uncertain, but we have to do all we can to aim for parity, even if it is off the back, say, of 2 well backed NA teams and 2 French teams. 

It is a shame that it is now the perceived wisdom that any player worth their salts must want to play in the NRL. I know it’s true, but I don’t like it. 

The way to keep talent here is to raise the salary cap, it’s too low. 

9 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

And risk getting eaten by a crocodile? 

No thanks 

Or a great white shark ... or poisoned by a massive snake ... or bit by a big spider ... or attacked by a , err , kangaroo . I’ll stick to cumbria , a daddy long legs isn’t lethal 

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Too right marra

Hang on... Won't the cold kill you up there eventually though? 

No never . Just like people born in scorching countries are used to it , it’s just the same in reverse . Cold is just a state of mind  . Folk wander round in shorts in mid winter , although it’s not compulsory 

19 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ha ha.... Tough stock up there for sure! 

They're a pale blue colour, they have to sunbathe abroad for 3 days to turn white. 

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Or a great white shark ... or poisoned by a massive snake ... or bit by a big spider ... or attacked by a , err , kangaroo . I’ll stick to cumbria , a daddy long legs isn’t lethal 

A few months ago my eldest daughter (26) was sat on the floor of the living room of her home and handling her pet snake.  However from nowhere another snake came in through the patio door and slid by her and went under the Fridge.  The snake catcher came along and retrieved the six foot snake.  Asked if the snake was poisonous the snake catcher said ‘Only if it bites you’. ?

How many Saints players would Holbrook consider to be good enough for the NRL? Roby, Walmsley and Thompson immediately spring to mind but Roby has had more than one chance to go, Walmsley will be starting enter the final few years of his career when his current contract expires and I all I have read about Thompson is him saying that he is happy at Saints.

Archived