Super League 9s

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

That's how I see it too. I mentioned it on the other thread, but this strikes me as 'Rugby League for the Instagram and YouTube generation'. 

80 mins of two packs going at it might appeal to the purists, but they're a dying breed. There's a reason why football fans ger 'Messi' or 'Ronaldo' on their shirts and it's becasue those players dominate the highlight reels. 

Yes, I agree with you totally

35 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

That's how I see it too. I mentioned it on the other thread, but this strikes me as 'Rugby League for the Instagram and YouTube generation'. 

80 mins of two packs going at it might appeal to the purists, but they're a dying breed. There's a reason why football fans ger 'Messi' or 'Ronaldo' on their shirts and it's becasue those players dominate the highlight reels. 

Which is fine but Super League’s equivalent top players are likely to not be involved in this concept as they’ll play Good Friday. 

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Would be a strange and disappointing way to go about it. 

Seems an almost exact replica of what didnt work before on a different day.

It seems odd the game seems so desperate to go away from what is shown to work, a fun weekend in the sun. Easter isnt the time for that. Its more likely to snow at easter than christmas. 

Also how do they sell that to tv?

Sometimes it seems the game tries to do everything as poorly as possible

At least you'll be there , enjoy ?

Since the inception of the NRL nines and the initial talk of 9's becoming a future staple of the game I'd always thought SL should have started their own version much sooner. Simply because if it was something that was always going to happen, why wait till the Aussies and Kiwis have mastered it before entering into it ourselves (which is pretty much what's happened). I've always though pre-season would be the best place for such an event, though not as part of SL. A separate event that could be sold outside the SL contract.

Held the week before SL would start and including all teams (naturally), points accumulated through the tournament would be carried over into the start of SL, hopefully ensuring teams took it seriously. Some might think that gimmicky, but the more I've thought about it the more I like it, though many won't I'm sure.

simply replacing the magic weekend with a 9's format and/ or following a similar framework for an alternative weekend would impact elsewhere within the season IMO. At the start of the year when fans are hungry for games it might work.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, quite a bit.

Why’s it such a daft idea?

Based on a mid season thingy

1. Its utterly pointless

2. Injuries

3. Repeat from 1 

4. Who cares. 

5. No

6. Focus on stuff that matters for s sake

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

9s replacing loop fixtures would be interesting. No one likes loop fixtures as it is, you could still have 22/23 (with Magic) rounds and then 4-5 rounds of 9’s with a trophy for each round and then an overall table at the end with the ultimate winner crowned Champions. 

That’s an interesting way of doing it.

Archived