Reserves

Rarefrith

5 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Halifax's statement https://www.halifaxrlfc.co.uk/article/52944/bod-statement---reserve-grade- As Robin says running a reserves ain't cheap. I think 'fax had a scheme were local businesses and individuals subscribed to help run the reserves. Even with this help (I've seen £30k mentioned) it's clearly not sustainable. Let's face it, even SL clubs seem to be reluctant to do so.

Nothing is cheap these days, especially anything connected to sport, but to disband the clubs future players is a slippery slope to mediocrity. You  get what you pay for

5 minutes ago, saddleworth said:

Nothing is cheap these days, especially anything connected to sport, but to disband the clubs future players is a slippery slope to mediocrity. You  get what you pay for

Would not making several of the new signings we've announced recently be acceptable? Would not re-signing two or three of those we have for the next 2 seasons? Would slipping down the table to bottom half or worse? Because one (or more) of those scenarios or running a Reserves is the real choice the Club has had to make.

23 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Would not making several of the new signings we've announced recently be acceptable? Would not re-signing two or three of those we have for the next 2 seasons? Would slipping down the table to bottom half or worse? Because one (or more) of those scenarios or running a Reserves is the real choice the Club has had to make.

Yep. In real terms it might be something like: "if we release Dane Chisholm and Brad Day, we can afford to run a reserve team." Put it that way to the fans and plenty would see things differently.

The other point is that there are no guarantees of rewards if you do run a reserve team. Consider Halifax, widely regarded as a successful reserves venture, yet look at the two most obviously talented players that their reserves produced, Nick Rawsthorne and Chester Butler. Rawsthorne has played for Hull, York, Doncaster, and Leigh, and has now signed for Hull KR, having barely played for Halifax. Butler did play a fair number of games for them but has now signed for Huddersfield. I doubt they made much, if any, cash out of those moves, it's hard to tie talented youngsters down to long-term deals.

We did get burned a couple of years ago when we had no reserves to call on at the end of the season, but at least the new set-up should help avoid that scenario. It's far from ideal, everyone can see that, and tough on those lads in this season's reserves that aren't being retained, but for me it's not hard to see why the club has done it.

55 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Pretty much as I see it LTSS.

On 19/10/2019 at 12:14, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I believe it did initially but the rules now don't appear to allow players to DR upwards except to play in the Reserves of another (possibly not even necessarily the official DR partner's?) club.

Untitleda.jpg

Untitledb.png

When Steve Gill was on the RL Back Chat show just over a month ago he made one comment that I might have misunderstood, but might have suggested that the rules are changing. It was a bit vague how he put it, but it seemed to imply that a Fev player could potentially be DR'd with Leeds and be called upon to play SL.  I might have totally misinterpreted it, and he may have been talking about our reserves, but what he described made me wonder. Around 31.00 into this piece.

It'd be grand if there were a stack more players playing rugby league at all levels of the game, junior and open age, amateur and professional.

But it's not happening.

The future pathway at Fev (maybe even in 2020) appears to be something like:

1. Leeds Academy @ Headingley

2. Leeds Reserves @ Post Office Road

3. Featherstone 1st team @ Post Office Road

4. Leeds 1st team @ Headingley

51 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

When Steve Gill was on the RL Back Chat show just over a month ago he made one comment that I might have misunderstood, but might have suggested that the rules are changing. It was a bit vague how he put it, but it seemed to imply that a Fev player could potentially be DR'd with Leeds and be called upon to play SL.  I might have totally misinterpreted it, and he may have been talking about our reserves, but what he described made me wonder. Around 31.00 into this piece.

I'd agree with your interpretation of what he says. I'd also forgotten that there is still the somewhat wishy washy clause in the rules that implies that almost any situation can be approved if it fits in with the idea of improving player development. The fine print of the DR rules seems to change every year so it wouldn't surprise me to see upward DRing being added explicitly considering the potential situation with reserves.

I understand that it costs a wad nowadays to run a reserves Team but in the 70s and 80s we had an A Team running which supplemented our Senior Team successfuly for years when we didn’t have a pot to p### in. I would play for nothing and cover the cost of travelling expenses. What has happened to Rugby League nowadays for fs when we are tossing lads who want to play for Fev on the scrap heap   

8 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Rugby league is described as Rugby league, Rugby Union as rugby, says it all really in the media. 

It’s described as something quiet different in my house.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

How do the RL/SL expect the media to take us seriously when they don't themselves? Swoping and changing rules far too regularly, telling teams they might not be able to go up, wanting all or most of the money, not being bothered about grassroots level. You're lucky to see RL mentioned on television and most of the papers it's a crying shame compared to Union, i don't know how people can watch it. 

Archived