Music you had to listen to as a kid

A spin off from music you don’t get. 

Long car journeys meant listening to the Dubliners. These days my family is my Danish wife still in her twenties, so you think it would change. She is also the youngest Dubliners fan in Denmark and we have been to see them twice. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depended who was in control of the music

Me mam introduced me to things like Billie Holiday and sometime opera that she sang her own words to cos she didn't understand any of the languages it was in  and Our Kid to the Stones, Ready Steady Go and Geno Washington, Otis Redding etc etc. And Gud Keever introduced me to a shed load of Soul Music so I thought he deserved a mention too.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

my Danish wife still in her twenties

Look, we can all see why you started this thread.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Merseybeat music. Wilson Picket. Stevie Wonder. Rolling Stones. Sam Cooke. Nat King Cole. Bagpipes. 

That might be accurate, but not quite in the spirit of things,

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Growing up as child constant Jim Reeves , Patsy Cline and Charley Pride. Though thanks to my dad i have my appreciation of Hank William's and Johnny Cash.

Wasnt until much older I realised Ihow big the country music scene is in Ireland

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

3 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Growing up as child constant Jim Reeves , Patsy Cline and Charley Pride. Though thanks to my dad i have my appreciation of Hank William's and Johnny Cash.

Wasnt until much older I realised Ihow big the country music scene is in Ireland

Ah yes , I forgot , also ' a boy named Sue ' ?

God bless me dad. Music head but some poo amongst the way. he got burgled but they didn't pinch a cd of his! My dad opened my mind to various music. He had T Rex  on vinyl. I was 9 when Paul Simon Graceland came out. It has carried on. I saw Kirk Hammet, of Metallica who is part fillipino, comment on his immigrant parents bringing him up on Bob Dylan, Led Zep, etc. I was sick of driving to nursery rhyme so took on board what he said and played "my music". He's 10 y/o had played trumpet in front of 800 and has a fender stratercaster  3/4 in his bedroom...……….and to think it took me 5 years to get a spectrum computer!!

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

junior choice- the runaway train went down the track etc etc

Ohhh, that song takes me back!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 09:27, GUBRATS said:

On weekly trips up to our caravan in Sebergh , north riding in the 70s , big bad John , king of the road ,but mainly ' El Paso ' by Marty Robbins which started and ended both sides of the one cassette we had ?

A pedant writes, Sedbergh was in the West Riding, not the North, though quite close to the North Riding, which took in Swaledale and Arkengarthdale.

I don't quite understand whether the OP is asking about music we had to listen to with the inference that this was a chore, or that we might have enjoyed it.  My mum and dad were into classical, mostly orchestral music; I liked some pieces and not others.  They also enjoyed opera, which I didn't like then and still don't!

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

A pedant writes, Sedbergh was in the West Riding, not the North, though quite close to the North Riding, which took in Swaledale and Arkengarthdale.

I don't quite understand whether the OP is asking about music we had to listen to with the inference that this was a chore, or that we might have enjoyed it.  My mum and dad were into classical, mostly orchestral music; I liked some pieces and not others.  They also enjoyed opera, which I didn't like then and still don't!

The inference was a ' Chore ' , and at the time it was , now ' kind of the road ' , and ' big bad John ' fill me with joy when I hear them on the radio , don't think I've ever heard EL Paso since , but sure I'd know all the words to it now after 30 years , it is what it is ' memories ' of your childhood and the experiences attached to them are what make you the person you are 

5 hours ago, BryanC said:

"Sing Something Simple" in the car on Sundays. Sounded very like the Black and White Minstrels - I suspect they were the same singers. 

Cliff Adams Singers rings a distant bell, mind you, so do The Mike Sam Singers! The other lot were bossed by George Mitchell I think!

Archived