Half The Stadium Not On Sale: GB v Tonga

Scubby

21 hours ago, Dave T said:

They are possibly in the same place as all those England fans that failed to pack out Hull last year (17k crowd) when they had 67k versus the Kiwis just a few years earlier.

I don't understand your first line of your 2nd para - of course the WC attracts bigger crowds, as it should, I'm not sure why it would be met with stoney silence, it was hardly a controversial claim.

I'm not sure what the point is you are making?

This thread David is about how bad the projected crowd figures are going to be for the Hamilton test v Tonga, the very popular reason suggested on these pages is that it is because no one is interested in a GB team.

The vast bulk of the attrndance for a fixture being played 13,000 miles away will be from the home supporter's I am offering a different suggestion that if the game is drastically undersold it is that RL is not as popular with the Tongan community as people believe it to be so, the Surnami of support from only 2 years ago will have dropped to an ebbing of the beach at very low tide.

Have a look at Ghost Crayfish's comments in the other thread "Is it almost the end" regarding the respect of International RL down under. The 1st test in Auckland v NZ when also Fiji v Samoa and Australia v Tonga will be playing, will be good barometer of the state of the International game in NZ, irrespective of that also being the day of the rugger WC Final, what self respecting RL advocate would want to miss that.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should be full of beans going to support my country on the other side of the world flying out of Manchester tomorrow night, but I just cannot drum up much enthusiasm, the RL is the primary reason for travelling all that way but I have now resigned myself to making it secondary to enjoying what else the trip has to offer, reading a lot of the comments on these pages has really deflated my desire, it has nothing whatsoever to do with my well published dislike of selecting some Australian's that has been good banter and debate, it is the complete downbeat attitude of those who say they love this sport only to down it at every opportunity, I care deeply and passionately about RL it has been my go to for well over 50 years.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I should be full of beans going to support my country on the other side of the world flying out of Manchester tomorrow night, but I just cannot drum up much enthusiasm, the RL is the primary reason for travelling all that way but I have now resigned myself to making it secondary to enjoying what else the trip has to offer, reading a lot of the comments on these pages has really deflated my desire, it has nothing whatsoever to do with my well published dislike of selecting some Australian's that has been good banter and debate, it is the complete downbeat attitude of those who say they love this sport only to down it at every opportunity, I care deeply and passionately about RL it has been my go to for well over 50 years.

I often don’t agree with a lot of your views on the game but I do wish you a safe & enjoyable trip.NZ  is a country of amazing landscapes,culture and friendly people with the added bonus that they play RL.

The crowds might not be huge but I’m sure the collisions will be and I’m looking forward to the games albeit 12.000 miles away from the action.

It is always great following your countries fortunes down under,be it England/GB,I’ve done it twice and have memories that I will cherish for life as I’m sure you will also.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Youve had a lot of input into deflating your own desire Harry.  On most threads we've got the message, so I cant find a reason to agree with you regarding the downbeat attitude.

I hope you enjoy the trip btw.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

This thread David is about how bad the projected crowd figures are going to be for the Hamilton test v Tonga, the very popular reason suggested on these pages is that it is because no one is interested in a GB team.

The vast bulk of the attrndance for a fixture being played 13,000 miles away will be from the home supporter's I am offering a different suggestion that if the game is drastically undersold it is that RL is not as popular with the Tongan community as people believe it to be so, the Surnami of support from only 2 years ago will have dropped to an ebbing of the beach at very low tide.

Have a look at Ghost Crayfish's comments in the other thread "Is it almost the end" regarding the respect of International RL down under. The 1st test in Auckland v NZ when also Fiji v Samoa and Australia v Tonga will be playing, will be good barometer of the state of the International game in NZ, irrespective of that also being the day of the rugger WC Final, what self respecting RL advocate would want to miss that.

Isn't it quite clear that both things can be true?

If GB were a popular draw it would be reflective in the crowds. Likewise for Tonga. If the game gets 7k as mentioned below, then Tonga v GB hasn't been an attractive fixture.

There is a chance it will be lower than the England Knights vs Jamaica.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You, with respect, are a huge hypocrite.

You have been hugely vocal about the team selections. I have found your attitude to be very downbeat.

I hope you have a wonderful trip, but don't blame anyone else for airing concerns, which is exactly the same as what you have done.

Just seen that the GB squad has been moved out of their hotel after a major fire in Auckland, it's cursed this trip I tell ye, there all doomed!

There again it might be a cost cutting exercise and their all kipping out in a park in tents?

2 hours ago, Beavers left nut said:

People here are laughing at the fact that Austin, Coote and Hastings are in the team. They were all playing reserve grade a year ago. If that’s the best GB have got no one will be paying to go watch them

So if they contribute towards defeating Tongan/NZ sides packed with NRL stars.....then that means SL turned them into world beaters, right? That's how this works - no? 

3 hours ago, Abicus said:

They are expecting a crowd of 7,000 on Saturday. They are considering closing sections of the ground. Sorry I don't have the direct link to the article yet.

It may be useful to look at history to see manage expectations here.

Since 1984 we (GB /Eng) have played the Kiwis 16 times in NZ. We have an average of 11,950.

1980's - 4 games, 9.1k average

1990's - 8 games, 10.6k average

2000's - 2 games, 16.7k average

2010's - 2 games, 18.2k average

Let's be honest with ourselves, 15-20k would be par for NZ v GB in this series. 

7 hours ago, Abicus said:

They are expecting a crowd of 7,000 on Saturday. They are considering closing sections of the ground. Sorry I don't have the direct link to the article yet.

Playing in New Zealand and clashing with the all blacks World Cup Semi Final is madness. A simple solution would be to move our kick off forward 1 hour. 

Archived