The Greatest ever RL XIII

I wouldn't be able to comment on players who finished their careers before I started watching the game (1984), the team below is the best I have seen when they are playing at their absolute best.

1. Darren Lockyer

2. Martin Offiah

3. Mal Meninga

4. Greg Inglis

5. Wendell Sailor

6. Wally Lewis

7. Andrew Johns

8. Kevin Ward

9. Cameron Smith

10. Glen Lazarus

11. Mark Graham

12. Paul Sculthorpe

13. Ellery Hanley

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Damien said:

This is where these kind of debates fall down. Someone like Sullivan finished playing in 1946. Even a 80 year old would have only been 6 at this time and would be in no position to have an opinion other than one based on heresay. Anyone younger is picking people like that based on stats alone. Rugby League was a completely different game then with a completely different skillset.

True.  All I went by was who I’ve seen.

Seems crazy leaving out Sterling, Lewis, Webcke, Millward, Ettinshousen, Wiki, Graham, Karalius, etc etc etc and there are just as many from yesteryear.

Where is Kevin Costner when you need him.

My GB X111.  Again since the mid 80's and when each player was at their very best.

1. Jonathan Davies

2. Martin Offiah

3. Garry Schofield

4. Paul Newlove

5. Jason Robinson

6. Tony Myler

7. Andy Gregory

8. Kevin Ward

9. James Roby

10. Andy Platt

11. Paul Sculthorpe

12. Andy Goodway

13. Ellery Hanley

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, doc said:

This is far too hard, my head hurts.?

Although Tony Myler would be the first name in my 13. Utter class!

Superb player.

14 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Just amended it slightly; forgot about Webcke.

I see you swapped out Lazarus for Webcke.  Big call as Lazarus was a huge presence in the front row.  To make way for Webcke I would have kept Lazarus and swapped out Civoniceva.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I see you swapped out Lazarus for Webcke.  Big call as Lazarus was a huge presence in the front row.  To make way for Webcke I would have kept Lazarus and swapped out Civoniceva.

I did. I remember Lazarus being excellent for both club and country but I was still young so the memories of Webcke and Civoniceva are a bit clearer. The joys of youth! ?

7 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Just amended it slightly; forgot about Webcke.

Yes, some prop he was.

I remember taking a youth team to watch him play for Australia.  Aus scored and he appeared to be hobbling back to receive the restart - then we kicked off, he hit it up stronger than ever.  

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes, some prop he was.

I remember taking a youth team to watch him play for Australia.  Aus scored and he appeared to be hobbling back to receive the restart - then we kicked off, he hit it up stronger than ever.  

not good enough to lace the boots of Brendan hill, now theres a true great

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I am in my 30s so can only comment on players from the mid-80s onwards. So my team from the players I have seen live:

1. Slater 2. Robinson 3. Meninga 4. Inglis 5. Offiah 6. Lockyer 7. Thurston

8. Webcke  9. C Smith 10. Civoniceva 11. Tallis 12. Gallen 13. Sculthorpe

Tallis, really, you can't think of better 2nd rowers than that in the best part of the last 40 years? ?

4 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Tallis, really, you can't think of better 2nd rowers than that in the best part of the last 40 years? ?

I can think of quite a few second rowers: Betts, P Clarke, Sironen, Boyd Cordner, even SBW. But I use to love watching Tallis hence why I've selected him.

2 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Not sure about 5, 7 or 12 but like many of your selections.

Whole thing is subjective bit of fun anyway.

I think a lot comes down to personnel choice I’m happy I wouldn’t change most of that team unless there’s someone obvious I’ve forgot. I think the players that I’m not 100% committed to and could easily of selected some else are 10,11 and twelve 

This is my ' if I was playing against them I would ###### myself if it kicked off' XIII.  I can't think who I should have at full back,  hooker and one wing though.

2. Des Drummond

3. Dean Bell

4. Paul Cullen

6. Wally Lewis

7. Andy Gregory

8. Steve Bowden

10. Jim Mills

11. Kurt Sorenson

12. Les Boyd

13. Malcolm Reilly

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

I think a lot comes down to personnel choice I’m happy I wouldn’t change most of that team unless there’s someone obvious I’ve forgot. I think the players that I’m not 100% committed to and could easily of selected some else are 10,11 and twelve 

Platt Skerrett Crooks at 10?

Betta or Clarke at 12?

My personal choice would always be Sterling at 7.

Believe Murphy was a magnificent 7.

2 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Platt Skerrett Crooks at 10?

Betta or Clarke at 12?

My personal choice would always be Sterling at 7.

Believe Murphy was a magnificent 7.

Think that’s the point I could name 10 props and 15 second rows with not a massive amount between them. Just felt Tallis at his best and watching Pearce on that tour left a bigger impression. 

Archived