The Greatest ever RL XIII

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This is my ' if I was playing against them I would ###### myself if it kicked off' XIII.  I can't think who I should have at full back,  hooker and one wing though.

2. Des Drummond

3. Dean Bell

4. Paul Cullen

6. Wally Lewis

7. Andy Gregory

8. Steve Bowden

10. Jim Mills

11. Kurt Sorenson

12. Les Boyd

13. Malcolm Reilly

Paul Woods at full back or wing. Only small but hard as nails.

I really struggle with this stuff. Weights, conditioning (and lack of), defence structures, coaching, sports science, part-time, full-time make it really difficult for me to make comparisons. The only players who would be there for certain in my eyes are Martin Offiah, Cameron Smith and Wally Lewis. The big forwards are harder to judge for the reasons mentioned earlier.

1 Graeme Langlands. 2 Billy Boston, 3 Mal Meninga, 4 Reg Gasnier, 5 Brian Bevan, 6 Wally Lewis, 7 Andrew Johns. 8 Arthur Beetson, Cameron Smith, Brian McTigue, Gordon Tallis, Bill Ashurst, Mal Reilly.

Tempting to put Jim Sullivan at 1 and Offiah at 5. Haven't as that would be taking my Wigan bias too far. So only gone for players I've seen. That first series Langlands came over (1963 I think) he was superb, the best full back display I've still ever seen. I think those are the best players I've ever seen in their respective positions play our game. 

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

This is my ' if I was playing against them I would ###### myself if it kicked off' XIII.  I can't think who I should have at full back,  hooker and one wing though.

2. Des Drummond

3. Dean Bell

4. Paul Cullen

6. Wally Lewis

7. Andy Gregory

8. Steve Bowden

10. Jim Mills

11. Kurt Sorenson

12. Les Boyd

13. Malcolm Reilly

You need Les Davidson in there.

"Bundy" knew how look after things.

1. Billy Slater

2. Israel Folau

3. Mal Meninga

4. Greg Inglis

5. Martin Offiah

6. Darren Lockyer

7. Jonathan Thurston

8. Shane Webke

9. Cameron Smith

10. Petro Civoneciva

11. Sam Burgess

12. Brad Thorn

13. Jason Taumololo

This is close I think.

Some of these guys are unanimously the best in their position of all time like Smith, Meninga and Slater. Folau is in for his prowess in the air, still unmatched by any other player (he's a reprehensible person though).

Everyone else speaks for themselves.

new rise.jpg

In my time.

1 Billy Slater

2 Eric Grothe Senior

3 Greg Inglis

4 Mal Meninga

5 Martin Offiah

6 Brett Kenny

7 Andrew Johns

8 Glen Lazarus

9 Cam Smith

10 Kevin Ward

11 Sam Burgess

12 Gavin Miller

13 Ray Price

Honorable mentions to Brad Clyde, Wally Lewis, Peter Sterling, Jason Robinson, Petero Civoniceva, Adrian Morley, Ellery Hanley, Garry Schofield and others.

You only need so many on field Generals in a team and this has plenty of Generals / playmakers.

22 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

His first ever match in the UK was at Leigh in 82 , we were watching him practicing kicking pre match , thought unusual to see a prop kicking , then ran out with the number 2 on his back 

His first match was against Hull KR in the first match of the tour. I remember it well. Played number 3 with the not much smaller Eric Grothe at 2. Played number 3 against Leigh later in the tour and was 1st choice centre all tour and for the rest of his international career. His hand off on Les Dyl in the 1st test will live long in the memory. 

1 minute ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

His first match was against Hull KR in the first match of the tour. I remember it well. Played number 3 with the not much smaller Eric Grothe at 2. Played number 3 against Leigh later in the tour and was 1st choice centre all tour and for the rest of his international career. His hand off on Les Dyl in the 1st test will live long in the memory. 

You are a day late , this was pointed out yesterday , where I accepted my memory disfunction , although we are talking about 37 years ago when I basically watched football and went to Hilton Park every other Sunday because the pubs shut at 2 , we didn't have the information back then we had now , and I didn't seek it out in the press ?

Can only go back to the 82 kangaroo tour when I started watch RL, Il probably forget some players as well!

1. B Slater

2. E Groth

3. M Meninga

4. G Inglis

5. M Offiah

6. B Kenny

7. J Thurston

8. A Morley

9. C Smith

10. S Burgess

11. S Kearney

12. W Pearce

13. E Hanley

FB    1    Nigel Barker

RW    2    John Marsden

RC    3    Steve Quinn

LC    4    John Gilbert

LW    5    Ken Kellett

SO    6    Alan Banks

SH    7    Terry Hudson (c)

PR    8    Michael Gibbins

HK    9    Raymond Handscombe

PR    10    Steven Hankins

SR    11    David Hobbs

SR    12    Tim Slatter

LF    13    Peter Smith

On 19/10/2019 at 15:24, Dunbar said:

I wouldn't be able to comment on players who finished their careers before I started watching the game (1984), the team below is the best I have seen when they are playing at their absolute best.

1. Darren Lockyer

2. Martin Offiah

3. Mal Meninga

4. Greg Inglis

5. Wendell Sailor

6. Wally Lewis

7. Andrew Johns

8. Kevin Ward

9. Cameron Smith

10. Glen Lazarus

11. Mark Graham

12. Paul Sculthorpe

13. Ellery Hanley

Great side, still don't know if it's the best ever.

I once went to watch Leeds United with Mark Graham's cousin, he insisted on it.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

16 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

I once went to watch Leeds United with Mark Graham's cousin, he insisted on it.

Mark Graham's cousin insisted or Mark Graham insisted?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Mark Graham's cousin insisted or Mark Graham insisted?

Mr Graham insisted, a boatbuilder from Te Atatu. I never knew until about 20 years ago that they were cousins.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

So many great players over the years from different eras, Billy Boston was one of the all time greats.

Here's mine 

1. E.T.

2. Brian Bevan

3. Mal Meninga

4. Greg Inglis

5. Martin Offiah

6. Darren Lockyer

7. Jonathan Thurston

8. Kurt Sorenson

9. Ben Elias

10. Paul Harrogan

11. Paul Sironen