The Greatest ever RL XIII

I don’t see how this is definitively possible... here’s my 1-13 of favourite players... and I reckon this team would take some beating too:

1- Jonathan Davies

2- Eric Grothe 

3- Andrew Ettingshausen

4- James Leuluai

5- Martin Offiah

6- Brett Kenny

7- Benin Marshall

8- Paul Anderson

9- James Roby

10- Kurt Sorensen 

11- Wayne Pearce

12- Mike Gregory

13- Wally Lewis

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/10/2019 at 21:51, Scubby said:

I really struggle with this stuff. Weights, conditioning (and lack of), defence structures, coaching, sports science, part-time, full-time...

...jumpers for goal posts?

14 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

4. Rogers

I am assuming this is Steve, not Mat?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Buck

He said from the 1980's onwards, Buck's representative career only really took off in the 25th century.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Very few Kiwis in these teams...

I noticed that as well, I only included Mark Graham in my selection.

I guess it is because we would choose English/British players through familiarity and favouritism and Aussies because they have been so dominant.

But the likes of Stacey Jones, Ruben Wiki, Hugh McGahan, Stephen Kearney, Gary Freeman, Dean Bell, Sonny Bill Williams (I nearly added him), Shaun Johnson, Tawera Nikau and Kevin Iro wouldn't look out of place in these teams.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I noticed that as well, I only included Mark Graham in my selection.

I guess it is because we would choose English/British players through familiarity and favouritism and Aussies because they have been so dominant.

But the likes of Stacey Jones, Ruben Wiki, Hugh McGahan, Stephen Kearney, Gary Freeman, Dean Bell, Sonny Bill Williams (I nearly added him), Shaun Johnson, Tawera Nikau and Kevin Iro wouldn't look out of place in these teams.

KEVIN IRO

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

KEVIN IRO

Did you not rate him?

4 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Wish i could remember the sexy Widnes teams of late 80s early 90s

The team that beat Canberra in '89 is a good start

1 Alan Tait

2 Andy Currier

3 Jonathan Davies

4 Darren Wright

5 Martin Offiah

6 Tony Myler

7 David Hulme

8 Joey Grima

9 Phil McKenzie

10 Derek Pyke

11 Kurt Sorensen (c)

12 Paul Hulme

13 Richard Eyres

59 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The team that beat Canberra in '89 is a good start

1 Alan Tait

2 Andy Currier

3 Jonathan Davies

4 Darren Wright

5 Martin Offiah

6 Tony Myler

7 David Hulme

8 Joey Grima

9 Phil McKenzie

10 Derek Pyke

11 Kurt Sorensen (c)

12 Paul Hulme

13 Richard Eyres

Always competed against and on several occasions beat a great Wigan side when it mattered especially league championship titles.

If memory serves ICI withdrew sponsorship and after Wembley 1993 Widnes sadly fell away.

Was saddened too by what happened to them over inclusion in Super League in 1996.

On 19/10/2019 at 14:30, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Whatever, he's a running forward and nothing more, stick him in the 2nd row if you like but his passing is bobbins and he's not mentally quick or has the ability that a true World class 13 has. Sorry but you're wrong. He's not even the best GB 13 in the last quarter of the 20th C for gods sakes. Talk about one eyed, no blinded bias opinion.

he's a class act but he isn't a 13 and doesn't have the skillset of a world class 13, when did Hanley ever put grubbers in, when did he ever kick for field position, when did he make quality passes like a Norton could do, he's an immense physical specimen and hard as nails but he is not a class 13 compared to the very, very best which is what a GOAT XIII is about.

I’m sorry but you are quite a pompous poster. How can someone’s opinion be wrong. It’s an opinion. Think you are the only one who is one eyed. No discussion just your opinions go. Grow up

On Ellery Hanley.

Yes, he didn't particularly have a passing game.  Yes, he didn't particularly have a kicking game.  I am not sure we could negatively describe his tactical acumen because he was a very good captain and then coach (and I really don't know what is meant by not 'mentally quick' in this context).

So Hanley was not a 'complete player'.  But this misses the point.  What Hanley did do he did better than anybody I have ever seen play the game.  His running threat was unbelievable and his work rate immense.

I selected Hanley at 13 in my best ever team.  I would be happy for people to argue that he was a better 6 or a better centre (I wouldn't say wing as that undervalued him in my opinion).  What I like about Hanley at 13 is he was always involved in the game.  Yes, he was a running 13 rather than a 3rd pivot but what is wrong with that when he is the best runner of the ball we have ever seen.

All I know is that Hanley would be in my all time XIII any day of the week and he is definitely the best British Rugby League player I have seen and probably the best overall Rugby League player I have ever seen.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

On Ellery Hanley.

Yes, he didn't particularly have a passing game.  Yes, he didn't particularly have a kicking game.  I am not sure we could negatively describe his tactical acumen because he was a very good captain and then coach (and I really don't know what is meant by not 'mentally quick' in this context).

So Hanley was not a 'complete player'.  But this misses the point.  What Hanley did do he did better than anybody I have ever seen play the game.  His running threat was unbelievable and his work rate immense.

I selected Hanley at 13 in my best ever team.  I would be happy for people to argue that he was a better 6 or a better centre (I wouldn't say wing as that undervalued him in my opinion).  What I like about Hanley at 13 is he was always involved in the game.  Yes, he was a running 13 rather than a 3rd pivot but what is wrong with that when he is the best runner of the ball we have ever seen.

All I know is that Hanley would be in my all time XIII any day of the week and he is definitely the best British Rugby League player I have seen and probably the best overall Rugby League player I have ever seen.

Couldn't add to anything you have written.

He moved from 6 to 13 to accommodate Edwards when Gregory signed as 7 in 1987. And he didn't complain.

Golden Boot 1989: no surprise to me.

Dropped a goal at Wembley in 1990 as Captain when we beat Shackle Draggers.

Edwards n Gregory did tactical kicking for Wigan.

MBE= maybe best ever.

Simply the best: no question.

Ellery fulfils both of the above.

John Monie once said Ellery was a once in a lifetime player who comes around every 100 years. Was never a huge fan of Monie but cannot argue with his assessment of Ellery.

Appreciate its all subjective ?

30 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Couldn't add to anything you have written.

He moved from 6 to 13 to accommodate Edwards when Gregory signed as 7 in 1987. And he didn't complain.

Golden Boot 1989: no surprise to me.

Dropped a goal at Wembley in 1990 as Captain when we beat Shackle Draggers.

Edwards n Gregory did tactical kicking for Wigan.

MBE= maybe best ever.

Simply the best: no question.

Ellery fulfils both of the above.

John Monie once said Ellery was a once in a lifetime player who comes around every 100 years. Was never a huge fan of Monie but cannot argue with his assessment of Ellery.

Appreciate its all subjective ?

Echoed by a lot of good Aussie RL thinkers after his Balmain stint

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Archived