International 9s in America, Middle East

Pulga

The only issue I see is fitting tournaments in. England didn't field their best side as this 2019 comp was sandwiched between a SL GF and a Lions tour. I'd happily see a slightly shorter regular season to allow an annual international 9's.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

The only issue I see is fitting tournaments in. England didn't field their best side as this 2019 comp was sandwiched between a SL GF and a Lions tour. I'd happily see a slightly shorter regular season to allow an annual international 9's.

Money is the reason they didn't field their best side. They went for the cheap easy option.

Would hope the next one will be in 2 years time and in Barcelona, Toulouse, Toronto or New York and look to promote the local Club and Sport to the Locals. Barcelona got 30k this year for a game and Toronto get regularly 9k plus crowds. Bring in Spain, Jamaica, Canada and Serbia for the Mens and Brazil, Fiji, France and Turkey women as well for next time and have Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday and Sunday.

45 minutes ago, Damien said:

Money is the reason they didn't field their best side. They went for the cheap easy option.

Do you know this for sure? I would’ve thought cost would be covered by IRL. Wales sent a strong side bar the players who played in Grand Final. 

16 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Do you know this for sure? I would’ve thought cost would be covered by IRL. Wales sent a strong side bar the players who played in Grand Final. 

As far as I can see the IRL have had precious little to do with the tournament.

2 hours ago, RayCee said:

Both the NRL and SL seasons need shortening.

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

It was an IRL run tournament 

I want to know where the NRL ends and the IRL begins in this tournament because Lebanon were penalized under NRL rules, not IRL rules. 

new rise.jpg

Just now, Pulga said:

I want to know where the NRL ends and the IRL begins in this tournament because Lebanon were penalized under NRL rules, not IRL rules. 

Very blurred lines isn’t it. 

I mean the whole Nelson Asofa Solomona issue is a farce. How does the NRL have jurisdiction to ban him from international games?

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The NRL ‘tendered’ to host it, hence why they organised it all

Do you also believe in unicorns?

So now you are saying it wasn't an IRL ran tournament.

The NRL instigated it under their rules in the first place. Are these even universally agreed nine rules? The tournament is even being used for NRL rule trials.

Do you really think it was even considered for this event to be played elsewhere? Could other countries tender as you put it? 

12 minutes ago, Pulga said:

The IRL have said in the media that their rules were very clear.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/bad-crowds-and-scandal-but-nines-boss-says-it-was-a-glorious-success/news-story/45275d91277c4c7b53a23ab10feb8032

“The rules for this tournament were clear and unequivocal. You had to be 18. We are looking at that generally, because I think there is a little confusion. So we are working through those rules because it’s in everyone’s interest to be as clear as possible – and this tournament it was absolutely clear.”

5 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Which nations did field their best side?

Best side is quite subjective but you'd certainly be looking for certain attributes. Australia fielded one forward in their first game for example. However no one in their right mind would pick  a nines sides containing out and out props like Graham, Burgess and Sutton if they weren't already in Australia.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Do you also believe in unicorns?

So now you are saying it wasn't an IRL ran tournament.

The NRL instigated it under their rules in the first place. Are these even universally agreed nine rules? The tournament is even being used for NRL rule trials.

Do you really think it was even considered for this event to be played elsewhere? Could other countries tender as you put it? 

Semantics. The NRL are running it but the profit (if any) goes back to IRL. The cynic makes me think they are funding this and 2023 as compensation for not meeting the minimum agreed profit from the last World Cup. 

4 minutes ago, Copa said:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/bad-crowds-and-scandal-but-nines-boss-says-it-was-a-glorious-success/news-story/45275d91277c4c7b53a23ab10feb8032

“The rules for this tournament were clear and unequivocal. You had to be 18. We are looking at that generally, because I think there is a little confusion. So we are working through those rules because it’s in everyone’s interest to be as clear as possible – and this tournament it was absolutely clear.”

Lebanon picked two youngsters under the age of 18 - Jacob Kiraz and Jordan Samrani - with the former playing in their win against France on Friday. Under NRL rules players participating in an adults game must be 18. But in the case of IRL rules, players over 16 are free to take part, providing they have the written consent of a parent.

To cloud matters further, Kiraz, 17, had also played in the Pacific Test against Fiji earlier this year, and did so legally as the event was run by the IRL (which was then known as the Rugby League International Federation - RLIF).

Yeah sounds like a IRL tournament indeed.

Just now, Smudger06 said:

No, it was an NRL tournament, sanctioned and endorsed by IRL. 

Same difference. My point being that unlike the 4 nations which are solely run by the individual nations, this is an IRL led tournament. The IRL don’t run them directly as there are only about 4 full time employees in the organisation 

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Semantics. The NRL are running it but the profit (if any) goes back to IRL. The cynic makes me think they are funding this and 2023 as compensation for not meeting the minimum agreed profit from the last World Cup. 

It's not semantics, it's a very important distinction. I honestly can't see one thing to do with the tournament that is anything to do with the IRL and that has been the case since it was first announced. 

4 minutes ago, Copa said:

Interesting. This is Lebanon's media release:

Statement on Lebanon Player Ineligibility

The Lebanese Rugby League Federation has been made aware of the National Rugby League’s allegation of one player under the age of eighteen participating in the Downer Rugby League World Cup Nines match against France on Friday, 18 October.

The RLWC9s tournament manual provided to all nations prior to the tournament commencing clearly stipulates no age restriction, in accordance and alignment with the RLIF eligibility rules for International Matches.

The player that’s been alleged to infringe a participant age policy also competed in the June Pacific Test against Fiji, earlier in the year, with no objections or issues raised by the RLIF. Notwithstanding, no further players under the age of eighteen took to the field at the World Cup Nines tournament.

The Lebanese Rugby League Federation will continue to review and investigate with the International Rugby League and the National Rugby League.

new rise.jpg

Archived