Halifax withdraw from Reserves League

Just now, sheddingswasus said:

To me this is very simple. 

Two compulsory reserve leagues, one for SL and one for Championships 

It would be the obvious solution. However whilst I fully believe that reserve teams should be compulsory for Super League clubs I certainly think that lower league clubs should have more flexibility with that and it should be optional

5 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

To me this is very simple. 

Two compulsory reserve leagues, one for SL and one for Championships 

Not when they don’t run an academy, otherwise they’re not increasing the pool, they’re taking from the amateur game.

The whole point of the reserves is to fill the pathway from academy u18s to first team

10 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Not when they don’t run an academy, otherwise they’re not increasing the pool, they’re taking from the amateur game.

The whole point of the reserves is to fill the pathway from academy u18s to first team

Correct , a different solution is needed for development outside SL 

49 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It is interesting that the previous BoD didn't come to the same conclusions. It looks like a wise move for the current board to have made given the implicit extra costs of the new competition.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

anybody with half a brain could see those issues  and how they were exacerbated by making reserves compulsory.

Making it compulsory wont solve a single.one of the problems facing highlight. In fact it will just make them all the worse. 

Its not compulsory for a club like Halifax though.

Halifax had lost a Number of the Top Reserve graders they had, as they were not able to offer the money some SL Clubs are offering. Some SL Clubs are doing little as poss with Reserve grade and are happy to Raid Halifax Reserves than do much scouting etc.

The RFL/Super League Reserve Grade is a joke. Fax, Newcastle, Haven, Keighley were expected to Jump through hoops. SL Clubs are not in any Real Minimum Standards procedure. The RFL refuse to sanction games that are not Part of this Circus. The RFL did little to help Reserve Teams this year. Sometimes refusing to Provide match officials for games etc.

Fax,like other Champ Teams,would have received no Help at all from the RFL and in the end felt that without any support, it was a waste of time, people and money. Once again the people running the game have let down its members. The RFL should have just left things as they were, rather than create this Circus,that is not being properly organized.

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

For SL it is at the moment and the posts above were talking about making it compulsory for the championship as well.

Within 5 years the obvious problems of a reserves will see it scrapped again. 

I'm not sure what that is to do with my statement. For some reason you seem to be eager to conflate two entirely different debates to have a completely different argument.

I would think the main reason why Halifax have decided,sadly rightly so to scrap the reserve team is down to finance in the main.

And we all know what is coming soon and what Halifax are doing is basically cutting cloth accordingly to ensure that they have a fighting chance of being in business come the end of 2021 when as we suspect the current central funding will be gone....and no doubt many clubs outside Super League with it.

And if Halifax are having to do this and they to my knowledge get regular 4 figure attendance figures then my god.

8 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I would think the main reason why Halifax have decided,sadly rightly so to scrap the reserve team is down to finance in the main.

And we all know what is coming soon and what Halifax are doing is basically cutting cloth accordingly to ensure that they have a fighting chance of being in business come the end of 2021 when as we suspect the current central funding will be gone....and no doubt many clubs outside Super League with it.

And if Halifax are having to do this and they to my knowledge get regular 4 figure attendance figures then my god.

Lets hope that clubs outside Super League don't waste money on has been's and never was players from the NRL

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Is that to be another SL only preserve....?

There is a near zero return for a championship club if they bring in a has been been or never was player from the NR, unless you want to be  Super League club.If Halifax in this case were to bring in a player from the NRL and they won they Championship grand final you do realise they would have to run a reserve side in Super League, and at this moment in time they say they cant afford to run one so a complete waste of money bringing in a has been or never player from the NRL

The money they would spend on a players wages, house rental and car would be better spent on junior development.

Archived