Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

Halifax withdraw from Reserves League

Just now, sheddingswasus said:

To me this is very simple. 

Two compulsory reserve leagues, one for SL and one for Championships 

It would be the obvious solution. However whilst I fully believe that reserve teams should be compulsory for Super League clubs I certainly think that lower league clubs should have more flexibility with that and it should be optional

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

Not when they don’t run an academy, otherwise they’re not increasing the pool, they’re taking from the amateur game.

The whole point of the reserves is to fill the pathway from academy u18s to first team

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Not when they don’t run an academy, otherwise they’re not increasing the pool, they’re taking from the amateur game.

The whole point of the reserves is to fill the pathway from academy u18s to first team

Correct , a different solution is needed for development outside SL 

49 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It is interesting that the previous BoD didn't come to the same conclusions. It looks like a wise move for the current board to have made given the implicit extra costs of the new competition.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

anybody with half a brain could see those issues  and how they were exacerbated by making reserves compulsory.

Making it compulsory wont solve a single.one of the problems facing highlight. In fact it will just make them all the worse. 

23 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

anybody with half a brain could see those issues  and how they were exacerbated by making reserves compulsory.

Making it compulsory wont solve a single.one of the problems facing highlight. In fact it will just make them all the worse. 

Its not compulsory for a club like Halifax though.

Is there a list anywhere of who is and isn't in this reserve league? It's getting a bit confusing.

Halifax had lost a Number of the Top Reserve graders they had, as they were not able to offer the money some SL Clubs are offering. Some SL Clubs are doing little as poss with Reserve grade and are happy to Raid Halifax Reserves than do much scouting etc.

The RFL/Super League Reserve Grade is a joke. Fax, Newcastle, Haven, Keighley were expected to Jump through hoops. SL Clubs are not in any Real Minimum Standards procedure. The RFL refuse to sanction games that are not Part of this Circus. The RFL did little to help Reserve Teams this year. Sometimes refusing to Provide match officials for games etc.

Fax,like other Champ Teams,would have received no Help at all from the RFL and in the end felt that without any support, it was a waste of time, people and money. Once again the people running the game have let down its members. The RFL should have just left things as they were, rather than create this Circus,that is not being properly organized.

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Is there a list anywhere of who is and isn't in this reserve league? It's getting a bit confusing.

Are Catalans and Toronto running Reserve teams as they are in SL?

this season 

a player registered with a club may play in the reserve grade team of another club subject to a reserve  dual registration specified by the rfl  

10 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Are Catalans and Toronto running Reserve teams as they are in SL?

Catalans already do in the French league and Toronto don't have to as they are just promoted. Don't know about future seasons

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Damien said:

Its not compulsory for a club like Halifax though.

For SL it is at the moment and the posts above were talking about making it compulsory for the championship as well.

Within 5 years the obvious problems of a reserves will see it scrapped again. 

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

For SL it is at the moment and the posts above were talking about making it compulsory for the championship as well.

I'm not sure what that is to do with my statement. For some reason you seem to be eager to conflate two entirely different debates to have a completely different argument.

44 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm not sure what that is to do with my statement. For some reason you seem to be eager to conflate two entirely different debates to have a completely different argument.

I'm honestly not sure what you are having trouble with.

9 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

I simply pointed out that the issues Halifax highlighted were exacerbated by the compulsory reserves for SL (as halifax themselves have said) had would be made even worse if they were compulsory for the championship as well

Edited by scotchy1
  • Confused 1

If Halifax have a DR partnership with a super league club why don't they just do what Fev have done? Halifax could send their reserves to the DR partner, call them the DR partner's reserves and let them play at Halifax. Simples.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

You take the funding away from championship to pay for SL reserves and then say it should be compulsory for championship.. 

Are you for real?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SL17 said:

You take the funding away from championship to pay for SL reserves and then say it should be compulsory for championship.. 

Are you for real?

You've grasped the wrong stick, not even the wrong end of it.

I dont think reserves work at all

I would think the main reason why Halifax have decided,sadly rightly so to scrap the reserve team is down to finance in the main.

And we all know what is coming soon and what Halifax are doing is basically cutting cloth accordingly to ensure that they have a fighting chance of being in business come the end of 2021 when as we suspect the current central funding will be gone....and no doubt many clubs outside Super League with it.

And if Halifax are having to do this and they to my knowledge get regular 4 figure attendance figures then my god.

8 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I would think the main reason why Halifax have decided,sadly rightly so to scrap the reserve team is down to finance in the main.

And we all know what is coming soon and what Halifax are doing is basically cutting cloth accordingly to ensure that they have a fighting chance of being in business come the end of 2021 when as we suspect the current central funding will be gone....and no doubt many clubs outside Super League with it.

And if Halifax are having to do this and they to my knowledge get regular 4 figure attendance figures then my god.

Lets hope that clubs outside Super League don't waste money on has been's and never was players from the NRL

• Like 1