Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Athleticgrounds

Gareth Walker excellent article

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Athleticgrounds said:

On Total RL.com..... on the sad demise of Rochdale Hornets due to "supporter" power

Have I missed something? Where in the article does it mention "sad demise of Rochdale Hornets"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Stu Russell said:

Have I missed something? Where in the article does it mention "sad demise of Rochdale Hornets"?

What else would you call the past season.....a bloody success!!!!!!!

Edited by Athleticgrounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take demise as meaning the end.  Supporter power does he really say that?  It seems the small band of supporters raise a good sum of money for the club. 

Perhaps sadly the days at Spotland are coming to an end.  I find it sad that the Hornets Athletic Grounds money helped to turn a sty into a stadium and have nothing to show for it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the article earlier this week and was surprised that there was no comment until now. I do not know all the facts. However having read the article and with what has been written on this forum I feel that the club is tearing itself apart. It is a sad state of affairs that such a toxic atmosphere prevails. I hope that both factions can come together for the benefit of the club as I guess that they both want to see success on and off the field. Unfortunately I fear there will be neither unity nor success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult to see how the club can function if there is no board in place.  I’d like to think the rugby league would get involved but they are probably on a junket down under, and I suspect they would happily see a club like Hornets disappear. Opens up a place for a team from Ottawa, New York or God knows where, provided its not within 50 miles of the M62.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Athleticgrounds said:

What else would you call the past season.....a bloody success!!!!!!!

Not a success, definitely not. The club isn't dead yet though! Is it???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Difficult to see how the club can function if there is no board in place.  I’d like to think the rugby league would get involved but they are probably on a junket down under, and I suspect they would happily see a club like Hornets disappear. Opens up a place for a team from Ottawa, New York or God knows where, provided its not within 50 miles of the M62.

 

 

This is true and what I have believed for many years since SKY tv. RL in the UK doesn't have the same appeal it did up till the late 80's when Wigan dominated. There is too much for folk to do on a Sunday these days. If I ever watch on telly it's Aussie, far better than Superleague. The whole game is stagnant if you ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

I would take demise as meaning the end.  Supporter power does he really say that?  It seems the small band of supporters raise a good sum of money for the club. 

Perhaps sadly the days at Spotland are coming to an end.  I find it sad that the Hornets Athletic Grounds money helped to turn a sty into a stadium and have nothing to show for it.  

If my information is correct you get a very good deal in terms of annual rental costs. Be careful of letting that lapse.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Difficult to see how the club can function if there is no board in place.  I’d like to think the rugby league would get involved but they are probably on a junket down under, and I suspect they would happily see a club like Hornets disappear. Opens up a place for a team from Ottawa, New York or God knows where, provided its not within 50 miles of the M62.

 

 

In what way should the RFL get involved?


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

In what way should the RFL get involved?

Maybe try and find folks who might be interested in taking on the ownership.  They helped bring in the membership model which has been shown to be unsustainable. There appears to be an absence of leadership. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening all and thanks for the comments. Just a couple of clarifications.

Hopefully what has unfolded isn't the demise of the club. Nobody that has an investment in Rochdale Hornets wants that. Whoever does end up on the next board I absolutely wish all the best.

But I - and others who have been in touch with me recently - am absolutely disillusioned with what has unfolded. There are people who care passionately about Rochdale Hornets that have so much to offer, who have now been lost to the club because of events in recent months.

In addition, there are long-term supporters whose opinions on what is best for the club have been trampled all over by others whose stance differs, but who somehow seem to be far more influential. My understanding of what is a co-operative society is, is that everybody's stake and opinion is equal. But events since the election seem to show the notion of a co-operative to be a complete facade. It seems that some people's opinions are far more important than anybody else's, and by campaigning and undermining, they can effectively decide who runs the club.

If that is the case moving forwards, it seems like there is little point in voting on anything in case the outcome isn't approved by a select few. 

Have read on a number of occasions accusations of a "Sunday Boys' Club" over the last six months (which always seemed ridiculous to me given nobody volunteering their time and money to Rochdale Hornets can really gain anything out of it). Yet ironically it seems some won't be happy until they have their own select group of people running the club. When what it needs most is everybody who has a stake in Hornets - past or present - getting involved and working together to secure its future.

Edited by Gareth Walker
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as supporters co op’s are a nice romantic idea,the problem is that when especially with a small fan base there are fall outs which often happen within families,the fall out and damage is often unable to be fixed and repaired.

And from the outside looking in to this situation you have here,those who feel wronged etc,will simply walk away and never return which will do harm.

Maybe the ONLY people that can run these clubs are the hardest of headed businessmen(or women)who are b@stards when needed and who are not afraid to make tough and controversial decisions when it comes to the club(s)and the business.And if needed upset people.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

And if needed upset people.

The last thing we need at present!   Hopefully, soon a dedicated Board, rebuilding the team and not a few hymn sheets and prayers to get us to the season's start.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The frustrating thing is - and think am relatively well placed to judge because of my massively fortunate job - that I honestly believe Hornets can be at least a solid Championship club like a Dewsbury, Batley or Sheffield, and potentially more. It has things going for it that other clubs at this level don't. But it would need absolutely everybody that has something to offer the club pulling in the same direction, no exceptions, no forcing others out. Look to expand and engage with as many Hornets people as possible. 

I posted on here shortly after the AGM (the events of which, again, am not defending in any way) and said similar, and how throughout my lifetime people have almost always had personal agendas against others that has prevented that unity. At some point that has to change - had hoped it would be this season

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gareth Walker said:

The frustrating thing is - and think am relatively well placed to judge because of my massively fortunate job - that I honestly believe Hornets can be at least a solid Championship club like a Dewsbury, Batley or Sheffield, and potentially more. It has things going for it that other clubs at this level don't. But it would need absolutely everybody that has something to offer the club pulling in the same direction, no exceptions, no forcing others out. Look to expand and engage with as many Hornets people as possible. 

I posted on here shortly after the AGM (the events of which, again, am not defending in any way) and said similar, and how throughout my lifetime people have almost always had personal agendas against others that has prevented that unity. At some point that has to change - had hoped it would be this season

Gareth,

I championed on this forum many times , that the protest group should have taken on board your offer to mediate, to move the AGM fiasco forward, nothing from the group as far as I know was ever forthcoming, which to be quite honest didn't surprise me, one word sums up their position now, on seeing the collapse of the current board ," Schadenfreude" now I wonder where I got that word from?...a speciality of TLCRF80mins maybe?

Edited by Athleticgrounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Athleticgrounds said:

a speciality of TLCRF80mins maybe?

Remember the rules about this forum, if you reference people about off field issue you have to put your own name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Lad said:

Remember the rules about this forum, if you reference people about off field issue you have to put your own name. 

I said ," maybe"..the word also appears in the Oxford English dictionary and is quite clearly defined on Wikipedia. Gareth Walker's observations in my opinion sum up well the issues that have gone on at our club and he has no axe to grind with anyone.

Edited by Athleticgrounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Maybe try and find folks who might be interested in taking on the ownership.  They helped bring in the membership model which has been shown to be unsustainable. There appears to be an absence of leadership. 

The club is a private company. What powers does the RFL have in changing its ownership status?

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The club is a private company. What powers does the RFL have in changing its ownership status?

Not a Hornets fan myself but I suggest the answer is none whatsoever.

And rightly so because the day the RFL interfere in the ownership issues,they become a Dictatorship.Besides the RFL would screw it all up anyway as they are not fit to flush a toilet,never mind anything else.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interfering?..it seems like the hornets club dont need any help with folks interfering. The club has no board...take a look at the website....they are still advertising last seasons games. Its a membership run club with no publicly available information on how to become a member...that seems a bit suspicious. The rugby league may be able to find people who would be interested in considering becoming involved. Of course those folks would have to go through the appropriate channels to express and pursue their interests.

Alternatively the RFL can spectate as one of its longstanding members is torn apart by factions and meetings are held where allegedly the proper rules are not followed. Do people on here believe the current situation is likely to lead to a successful outcome in terms of strong and stable leadership emerging?

Hoe does the club get out of the mess it is currently in? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Gareth Walker said:

Evening all and thanks for the comments. Just a couple of clarifications.

Hopefully what has unfolded isn't the demise of the club. Nobody that has an investment in Rochdale Hornets wants that. Whoever does end up on the next board I absolutely wish all the best.

But I - and others who have been in touch with me recently - am absolutely disillusioned with what has unfolded. There are people who care passionately about Rochdale Hornets that have so much to offer, who have now been lost to the club because of events in recent months.

In addition, there are long-term supporters whose opinions on what is best for the club have been trampled all over by others whose stance differs, but who somehow seem to be far more influential. My understanding of what is a co-operative society is, is that everybody's stake and opinion is equal. But events since the election seem to show the notion of a co-operative to be a complete facade. It seems that some people's opinions are far more important than anybody else's, and by campaigning and undermining, they can effectively decide who runs the club.

If that is the case moving forwards, it seems like there is little point in voting on anything in case the outcome isn't approved by a select few. 

Have read on a number of occasions accusations of a "Sunday Boys' Club" over the last six months (which always seemed ridiculous to me given nobody volunteering their time and money to Rochdale Hornets can really gain anything out of it). Yet ironically it seems some won't be happy until they have their own select group of people running the club. When what it needs most is everybody who has a stake in Hornets - past or present - getting involved and working together to secure its future.

Brilliant article and subsequent post Gareth - as to what happens next well that will unfold as the weeks crack on.

However personally I can no longer continue as a member (not that this will cause any ripples) given the trashed process of the AGM an absolute disaster and travesty of the so called democratic process (against supposedly all of what a co-operative stands for). I guess that Supporters Direct have no idea of what has actually gone on. 

I will continue to attend and support the team through the turnstiles when I can but pointless taking part in any future voting. 

Regards to the family. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Interfering?..it seems like the hornets club dont need any help with folks interfering. The club has no board...take a look at the website....they are still advertising last seasons games. Its a membership run club with no publicly available information on how to become a member...that seems a bit suspicious. The rugby league may be able to find people who would be interested in considering becoming involved. Of course those folks would have to go through the appropriate channels to express and pursue their interests.

Alternatively the RFL can spectate as one of its longstanding members is torn apart by factions and meetings are held where allegedly the proper rules are not followed. Do people on here believe the current situation is likely to lead to a successful outcome in terms of strong and stable leadership emerging?

Hoe does the club get out of the mess it is currently in? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As my late dad would have said with great difficulty.

I don’t know how this situation can be rescued.Sadly my feeling is that it is unable to be rescued.I hope I am proven wrong and someone is brave enough to take the challenge on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2019 at 18:05, The Lad said:

Remember the rules about this forum, if you reference people about off field issue you have to put your own name. 

No one referenced a person....it was a blog site.


QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...