Sammut

Monkeymagic22

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, POR said:

why ho such thing as a hooker  so he  never have to pack down in the front row just be acting half back and with his speed could be a feather in his cap

Careful POR you'll sound like a Bulldogs supporter next. We play Second rowers on wings. Centres in Second row. Half backs at full back. Bring back the 80s when you understood the numbers 1-13.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

22 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

So where are you going to 'hide' a third defensively weak player when the opposition have the ball?

if you've  got three defensively weak players in your team you deserve all  you get

i have not seen anyone  hide in our  defense  since we got rid of thakerey

1 hour ago, POR said:

if you've  got three defensively weak players in your team you deserve all  you get

There is a world of difference in the defensive roles of a half back, who will usually defend 2 or 3 players in from the wing and might only make 10 or 12 tackles in a game, and that of a hooker, who as well as running from play-the-ball to play-the ball when on attack will probably have to make 20 tackles per half on the opposition's biggest players.

13 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This is garbage imo. Thackeray came to us with a reputation for being weak defensively but actually held up very well (other than when he was tried at full back, which clearly wasn't his position).

you misunderstood I wasn't commentating on his defence but his positioning this year chizzy mclelland and holmes have been seen defending in the middle but thacks was always seen in the outside backs sometimes outside the centre 

13 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

There is a world of difference in the defensive roles of a half back, who will usually defend 2 or 3 players in from the wing and might only make 10 or 12 tackles in a game, and that of a hooker, who as well as running from play-the-ball to play-the ball when on attack will probably have to make 20 tackles per half on the opposition's biggest players.

again you misunderstood wasn't commentating on where people defend  or who tackles the biggest players but if the coach was to pick  three defensively weak players  then he would get out of the game all he deserves that's nothing 

48 minutes ago, POR said:

you misunderstood I wasn't commentating on his defence but his positioning this year chizzy mclelland and holmes have been seen defending in the middle but thacks was always seen in the outside backs sometimes outside the centre 

Where they defend is decided by the coaching staff, and for most teams the half backs line up between the centre and the edge 2nd row ie with only 2 players outside them. Occasionally they might swap places with the centre, but that was true last year with our halves and also this year. I'm not sure what you mean by saying those three halves "have been seen defending in the middle", perhaps when covering a midfield break but they certainly wouldn't line up there. Half backs aren't "hiding" when they line up 2 or 3 in from the wing, that's where they're supposed to be!

48 minutes ago, POR said:

again you misunderstood wasn't commentating on where people defend  or who tackles the biggest players but if the coach was to pick  three defensively weak players  then he would get out of the game all he deserves that's nothing 

Yes, but you were suggesting (I think) playing Jouffret at hooker, I'm not saying that couldn't work (I haven't seen enough of him) but as alluded to by Les Tonks Sidestep, half backs tend by definition to be weaker defenders than established hookers. Most teams have at least one half back who is vulnerable defensively to a degree, you can get away with that, as their positions mean they might only have to do ten tackles or so a game given where they line up, but if you convert a third half back to hooker you'd better be sure he's NOT weak defensively because he'll be lining up in the middle of the pitch and the opposition will exploit that ruthlessly.

2 minutes ago, haskey said:

Hold it !!!!!

This thread could be a complete waist of time, as it could just be paper talk.

As I said at the top of the thread, "File under wait for further news", which is why I originally mentioned the paper stories in the 2020 Squad thread rather than starting a separate thread. For now these are still just paper talk.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

As I said at the top of the thread, "File under wait for further news", which is why I originally mentioned the paper stories in the 2020 Squad thread rather than starting a separate thread. For now these are still just paper talk.

You called it cocker!???

That statement only confirms he wont  more than likely be the assistant coach

It doesnt deny any interest & there are probably other coaching roles probably available at the club - Think Webster will want be bring a couple of familiar faces to him despite saying he doesnt want to change much

Nothing can be ruled out yet for me

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

You called it cocker!???

Well I quite often put up what it says about us in League Express/League Weekly on here, if only because these stories invariably get recirculated anyway, including by other "rugby league news" websites - there are at least two of these that spread "what the papers are saying" stories across Facebook etc.

But they need to be treated as possible stories, not confirmed ones as some people seem to do. Quite often the journos have got the wrong end of the stick, or have picked up a story before it's at anywhere near being confirmed. These days most signings at most clubs do seem to be predicted by the press, but that doesn't mean they are always right.

Can’t see him playing for us whatsoever. Why should he take a massive pay cut when he can quite possibly drop in to most lower sl Teams. He’s a good player would love him at Fev. Last time I saw him play for Fev he never missed a goal kick. 

1 hour ago, elppaxr2i said:

That statement only confirms he wont  more than likely be the assistant coach

It doesnt deny any interest & there are probably other coaching roles probably available at the club - Think Webster will want be bring a couple of familiar faces to him despite saying he doesnt want to change much

Nothing can be ruled out yet for me

I interpreted the line saying "recruitment for the rumoured position is already complete with Featherstone having a number of options available to the club in terms of cover as well " as referring to half back ie we've got Chisholm, Jouffret, plus Hall who could cover half back, and maybe McLelland if he isn't selected by Leeds.

1 hour ago, Blue Pike said:

Can’t see him playing for us whatsoever. Why should he take a massive pay cut when he can quite possibly drop in to most lower sl Teams. He’s a good player would love him at Fev. Last time I saw him play for Fev he never missed a goal kick. 

He only played one game if iam not mistaken, 10 out of 10 goals was it? 

Given all the rumours flying about at this time of year in particular, I wonder why the club have felt the need to put out a statement to deny this one. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

9 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Given all the rumours flying about at this time of year in particular, I wonder why the club have felt the need to put out a statement to deny this one. ?

the club is well known for issuing  statements to keep the fans in the loop remember the statement about the reserves oops silly me ????

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

And in other Sammut rumours Leigh have supposedly made him an offer to go there.

according to wigan papers after the rovers statement

Wigan Warriors' Jarrod Sammut on the radar of two Championship clubs

Featherstone Rovers, who lost out on promotion to Toronto in the Million Pound Game, are thought to be keen to sign Sammut. And his former club London Broncos are also showing interest in luring him back to the capital.

so the story's not going away despite the statement

56 minutes ago, POR said:

according to wigan papers after the rovers statement

so the story's not going away despite the statement

That's not totally accurate. The story on that Wigan website was up early this morning, I read it myself before the piece on our own website appeared, it's basically a rehash of the stories in League Weekly, and appears to have been updated after our own website piece appeared (adding the bit about Fev denying the player/coach aspect but saying we stopped short of denying interest in recruiting him as a player.).

That's how these things work. One story is written and lots of people regurgitate it, people see it in multiple places on the internet and think it's true. Read the story  (it's at https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-warriors-jarrod-sammut-on-the-radar-of-two-championship-clubs-1-10062003 )

There are no quotes in it. Stories that are full of phrases like "are thought to be keen to sign Sammut" basically tell you that the author is relying on 2nd-hand or 3rd-hand information.

For me the line on our website "Recruitment for the rumoured position is already complete with Featherstone having a number of options available to the club in terms of cover as well" refers to the half back position - we wouldn't talk in terms of having a number of cover options for a coach would we?

Archived