Sam Burgess

Amazed this hasnt already been mentioned on here but Aus media are now announcing that he may be paid off by Souths due to medical reasons.

I think many will want him to recover from this injury which appears to have left him, after numerous operatons, with only 25% bone remaining.  Best wishes for that and his relationship anyway.

Will be a sad loss to the game if this warrior has to hang up his boots. 

43 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Amazed this hasnt already been mentioned on here but Aus media are now announcing that he may be paid off by Souths due to medical reasons.

I think many will want him to recover from this injury which appears to have left him, after numerous operatons, with only 25% bone remaining.  Best wishes for that and his relationship anyway.

Will be a sad loss to the game if this warrior has to hang up his boots. 

It has 

The pay out element of this is new information but not surprising - the bunnies won't want him filling up their cap for the next 3 years. 

51 minutes ago, RLDave said:

Poor lad's having a rare old time of it. Apparently his father in law is taking him to court.

It's all a sorry state - he and Phoebe have been split pretty much since the whole texting scandal end of last year. Looks like they tried to make ago of it (or appear too on social media at least) after the birth of their youngest at the beginning of the year, but seems things have really turned messy now. Saw an article last week that said it was interesting to note that all the Burgess' family no longer follow Phoebe on any social media and vice versa, accept Tom and his wife who still see her quite regularly. Feels like all this is going to come out in the wash sooner or later but I dare say it won't reflect too well on big Sammy unfortunately.  

Sounds like challenging times for him. Regardless of the huge mistakes he made in the past, and the lack of any moral compass he has demonstrated, everyone deserves a chance to turn their life around. I hope he works out how to be the best father he can be, first and foremost. If his career is behind him, he can look back on a highlights reel which is the envy of pretty much us all. I hope he draws on that and shows the same courage in other aspects of his life. 

I think to have '1 more year' as has been quoted before would be foolish,  whether his  image has or will be too tarnished for the Sydney media to shun him will remain to bee seen as that was surely where he was heading when he finished playing. They will have to create a few new TV stations to fit all the ex player's in soon!

I wouldn’t be surprised if he jacked it in tbh, although it would be a shame . That shoulder has took so much hammer and wear n tear , and the surgery plus really bad infection by accounts has obviously made it severely debilitating . He’s got to think about life not just footy . If he does retire he’ll go down as one of our all time best , who’s got maximum respect from those down under which is not easily won or handed out 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he jacked it in tbh, although it would be a shame . That shoulder has took so much hammer and wear n tear , and the surgery plus really bad infection by accounts has obviously made it severely debilitating . He’s got to think about life not just footy . If he does retire he’ll go down as one of our all time best , who’s got maximum respect from those down under which is not easily won or handed out 

Agree with this.

I'll always remember his performance in the Souths Grand Final win, probably one of the finest individual performances in a major game I've ever seen - it was actually quite emotional to watch as it clearly meant everything to him

58 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's never good to hear of a player suffering injury problems like this and I certainly hope that it doesn't cause a premature end to his career.

I agree - although the thought of him playing on a shadow of his former self (like Inglis to an extent) would be hard to watch. If it is the worst case scenario it will be interesting to see what his next move is. You'd think he'll stay down under so he can be with his kids but not sure what, if any, coaching credentials he has and I know he's dipped his toe into punditry but as other's have said that's quite a saturated area of expertise to be in down there. The only bit of hope I'm clinging on to is that he hasn't come out and eluded to any of this as yet, which i'm hoping means there is a chance he might have one year left in him. 

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-sydney-rabbitohs-bracing-for-sam-burgess-retirement/b5eff185-6132-4e53-bba9-e648116216b1

would be sad indeed . Souths were only saying very recently they were confident he’d play on 

WB was I'll agree but the detail of injury wouldn't be exposed if this was just scaremongry.

I hope it's all BS but having had a shoulder recon, and SB has had several plus infection, going to be tough.

3 hours ago, Mark S said:

He maybe should have stayed in Union. It sounds like his body is shot to pieces, he would have lasted much longer in the plodder’s code and earned more money.

How much would that be then? You've no idea of how much he'd be getting either way, you've no understanding that he might not have wanted to stay in union anyway, anywhere in the NH. He could have been forced out the game earlier or not, you simply don't know.

What we do know is that he's happier in Aus and that everyone wishes him the best.

4 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

How much would that be then? You've no idea of how much he'd be getting either way, you've no understanding that he might not have wanted to stay in union anyway, anywhere in the NH. He could have been forced out the game earlier or not, you simply don't know.

What we do know is that he's happier in Aus and that everyone wishes him the best.

Not quite everyone seemingly, the mother and grandfather to his children appear less thrilled with him. 

Archived