Sign in to follow this  
RL does what Sky says

21 October

3 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Apparantly that pitch is still there today it's called the meadows sports court. Between moorhey st and little gordon st. It's on Google maps

I'm not certain on that but only because the book "Oldham RLFC The complete history 1876-1997" says on page 12 that "The first ground for the club was near Gartside Street, Glodwick".

Furthermore, the attached link shows a map of Glodwick Lows indicating historical events which occurred there. No.6 says ...."The housing estate to your left was once the home of Oldham FC (later Oldham Rugby League FC). In 1876, they played their first ever match here (at that time 15-a-side rugby union) against Stalybridge FC."

The area indicated is halfway between Roundthorn Road and Abbeyhills Road whereas the Meadows Sports Court is north of Roundthorn Road.

http://www.visitoldham.com/xsdbimgs/Glodwick Lows leaflet (compressed version).pdf

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I'm not certain on that but only because the book "Oldham RLFC The complete history 1876-1997" says on page 12 that "The first ground for the club was near Gartside Street, Glodwick".

Furthermore, the attached link shows a map of Glodwick Lows indicating historical events which occurred there. No.6 says ...."The housing estate to your left was once the home of Oldham FC (later Oldham Rugby League FC). In 1876, they played their first ever match here (at that time 15-a-side rugby union) against Stalybridge FC."

The area indicated is halfway between Roundthorn Road and Abbeyhills Road whereas the Meadows Sports Court is north of Roundthorn Road.

http://www.visitoldham.com/xsdbimgs/Glodwick Lows leaflet (compressed version).pdf

That's interesting. I can't remember where I read that it was behind moorhey st. Wonder if there's a map dating back to then. 

And sadly 121 years later history repeated itself. When they write a history of Oldham in the future they will say "The housing estate to your left was Watersheddings, once the much loved home of Oldham RLFC. In 1997 they played their last ever match here (on a cold, frosty and foggy winter's day) against Swinton RLFC". 

If only we could turn back time ? ?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArthurO said:

And sadly 121 years later history repeated itself. When they write a history of Oldham in the future they will say "The housing estate to your left was Watersheddings, once the much loved home of Oldham RLFC. In 1997 they played their last ever match here (on a cold, frosty and foggy winter's day) against Swinton RLFC". 

If only we could turn back time ? ?  

If only. ?

• Sad 1

image.png.1d7d301915d90da9ac82777219293965.png

1894 map. Prior to this they're 1850's generally. I think in the period between maps available was when Oldham exploded with industrial growth. Black star represents roughly where Meadow Court Sports Ground is now, trawling through maps it appears that area has not been built on (there are more streets to the west of Cranbrook Street though). The red star is the end of Gartside Street, and the street just to the east of it is called Game Street? Does this refer to sport or birds that have been shot? Need to get on with some work now, I find this type of stuff distracts me too easily..

8 hours ago, neanderthal said:

image.png.1d7d301915d90da9ac82777219293965.png

1894 map. Prior to this they're 1850's generally. I think in the period between maps available was when Oldham exploded with industrial growth. Black star represents roughly where Meadow Court Sports Ground is now, trawling through maps it appears that area has not been built on (there are more streets to the west of Cranbrook Street though). The red star is the end of Gartside Street, and the street just to the east of it is called Game Street? Does this refer to sport or birds that have been shot? Need to get on with some work now, I find this type of stuff distracts me too easily..

The red star location is correct and backed up by the fact that it is next to Glodwick Mill which itself is shown in the drawing on the map of Glodwick Lows which shows the Oldham team playing their first ever match (see link below)

• Like 2

Thanks for the maps, I spent the first twenty years of my life living on Clifton Avenue which is right where the red star above is located , can't believe my childhood was spent on such hallowed turf ?

Clifton Avenue runs just behind Roundthorn Road and is accessed off Game Street , at the end of Clifton Avenue is Clifton Close which runs adjacent to Glodwick Mill.  I remember in the early 1970's that the site of Glodwick Mill was wasteland with just remnants of what I now presume was the mill,  it was built in 1800 and closed in 1934, we used to build bonfires there at this time of year until they built housing on in it in the mid to late 1970's. In the picture of the first game you can also see the spire of St Marks on Glodwick Road in the distance.

Blue plaque's a good idea , maybe one for the Trust or Heritage Society to consider.

Lets hope some Oldham fan in a 100 years  time who is then living on Watersheddings is similarly amazed he is living on such an historic sight , maybe Sports Park 2000 will have been built by then ?????

Edited by tub
  • Like 1

As a Batley fan, when did Oldham Rugby first move into the Watersheddings and enjoy looking at old maps and in 1894 the ground was there.

19 minutes ago, RogerT said:

As a Batley fan, when did Oldham Rugby first move into the Watersheddings and enjoy looking at old maps and in 1894 the ground was there.

It was September 1889, first game was against Swinton. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, herbie said:

There is noTHE in Watersheddings!!

Yes, that has always been a pet hate of mine when people refer to "THE Watersheddings".

They don't say "THE Headingley" or "THE Belle Vue" so why do it for our former ground ?

For those from out of the town who are reading this then please note that  "Watersheddings" is a district of Oldham in which the ground was situated.

• Like 3

On 09/11/2019 at 11:26, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Ironic isn't it, the club's first game was against stalybridge and our home games will be at stalybridge. Does anyone know if that original stalybridge club is still in existence?

Sadly, no. Stalybridge has no rugby club of either code and hasn't for an awfully long time. It's certainly never been Rugby League country in my lifetime (strictly speaking, it is Cheshire after all, dontcha know). I'd imagine the Stalybridge team of the late 1800's were some pretty hard men, the "Celtic" moniker for the football club came about because most of the town's population at the time were Scottish and Irish "navvies" engaged in building the canal and railway. 

Nearest clubs nowadays are Dukinfield RU (former home of Mike Ford and Graham Steadman), Aldwinians RU, Glossop RU and of course Saddleworth Rangers.

• Thanks 1

No slur implied just as Mount Pleasant in Batley is district and people always said they where going up to the Mount, as you will notice in both cases I used lower case letters for the word the.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RogerT said:

No slur implied just as Mount Pleasant in Batley is district and people always said they where going up to the Mount, as you will notice in both cases I used lower case letters for the word the.

I don't think anyone thought your comment was a slur, it's just become a common but incorrect phrase used by many over the years.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1