Rhinos Salary Cap Breach

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's following the rules the clubs wanted -

Super League clubs discussed Salary Cap sanctions earlier this year and agreed point deductions should only be inflicted if the breach is greater than five per cent or where the breach is deliberate.

That means Leeds would have had to exceed the cap by more than £95,000 to face a points deduction, however, their excess is smaller than that amount.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

51 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Salford almost got relegated because of salary cap points deduction. Yet Leeds and Wigan get away with it. What a surprise.

The Salford breach was a bit different to be fair, it wasn't an administration error.

Tony Puletua received £48,000 through one of Koukash subsidiaries rather than the club itself which was listed as ‘provision of leadership training services’.

Francis Meli received £22,000 for the same reasons.

Payment of Lama Tasi’s £900 p/m rent for the 2014 season.

Payment of Theo Fages’ rent for 2014 season to the tune of £7,500 p/a.

Niall Evalds received a gift of a Maserati car after being voted players’ player of the season to the value of £16,000

http://salfordonline.com/28425-salford-red-devils-appeal-published.html

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The Salford breach was a bit different to be fair, it wasn't an administration error.

Tony Puletua received £48,000 through one of Koukash subsidiaries rather than the club itself which was listed as ‘provision of leadership training services’.

Francis Meli received £22,000 for the same reasons.

Payment of Lama Tasi’s £900 p/m rent for the 2014 season.

Payment of Theo Fages’ rent for 2014 season to the tune of £7,500 p/a.

Niall Evalds received a gift of a Maserati car after being voted players’ player of the season to the value of £16,000

So that’s alright then. Leeds get away scott free. One rule for the top clubs. Another for the also rans. Wouldn’t it be a refreshing change if clubs like Leeds and Wigan had to suffer the same consequences as the other clubs?

Just now, johnh1 said:

So that’s alright then. Leeds get away scott free. One rule for the top clubs. Another for the also rans. Wouldn’t it be a refreshing change if clubs like Leeds and Wigan had to suffer the same consequences as the other clubs?

Did you read my OP? I think it's very lenient, however you cannot compare what Salford did to what both Leeds and Wigan did.

If they had made the same breaches they may have suffered the same consequences, or are you suggesting any break of the cap should be treated the same?

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm sure that wont stop the howls of unfairness

I can understand why fans are upset at inconsistency.  But they should aim their ire at their own club who came up with the punishments.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Just now, johnh1 said:

If they have breached the salary cap, they should face the consequences. Just because they have ‘an explanation’, shouldn’t excuse them.

They have faced the consequences, they have been fined as in accordance to the rules that the SL clubs agreed to.

It's pretty much the same as what Wigan were found to have done and they got their points that were deducted back.

Yes, but Salford weren’t and were nearly relegated because of it. To admit that ‘we were unaware that we had exceeded the salary cap’ doesn’t excuse them. They breach occurred because they upgraded 3 player’s contracts apparently. Why can’t all clubs be treated the same?

10 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

If they have breached the salary cap, they should face the consequences. Just because they have ‘an explanation’, shouldn’t excuse them.

Jeez, it’s really not difficult to understand why they were treated differently 

and they haven’t been treated differently because they had an excuse at all.

the most surprising thing I find here is that leeds have actually been paying most of that squad - some of the players turning out lately should be paying them for the privilege 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yes, really, do you think Wigan and Leeds’ breaches were comparable to Salfords? 

Bearing in mind I do think Leeds punishment is lenient but they are not being treated as a special case they being punished in accordance with the rules 

They were all breaches. Salford received their points deduction at the back end of the regular season and nearly got relegated because of it. Why shouldn’t Leeds receive a points deduction?

Surely Wigan's breach by paying agents fees is quite different to updating players contracts, paying them accordingly but not registering the new contracts until the end of the year?

Edit: Aimed at those saying the Wigan breach of earlier this year is similar.

10 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Not at all Gav. What is your view on this then, rather than slagging me off?

Salford's breaches were intentional. Wigan's and Leeds' were genuine administrative errors. Leeds' punishment was what was agreed and voted upon by the Super League clubs *themselves*.

This has been explained to you at least three times.

Archived