Rhinos Salary Cap Breach

11 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

They were all breaches. Salford received their points deduction at the back end of the regular season and nearly got relegated because of it. Why shouldn’t Leeds receive a points deduction?

Because the rules state it has to be over a certain amount before points deductions take place.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It really shows how poorly Leeds have been managed if they’ve managed to exceed the salary cap with that 2018 team. Some ridiculous wages at average players must have been thrown around by them. 

The players were Jack Walker and Luke Briscoe who’s contracts went from part time to full time and Matt Parcell who had a contract upgrade, not sure how they managed to submit the correct monthly upgraded wages but not submit the new contracts.

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

They were all breaches. Salford received their points deduction at the back end of the regular season and nearly got relegated because of it. Why shouldn’t Leeds receive a points deduction?

John have you read the RFL statement? It literally explains why they didn’t get a points deduction. 

Think of financial breaches the same as on field breaches of the rules. It’s the equivalent to saying ‘why did he get for 1 game for a high tackle when ours got banned for 5 for biting?’ Both are against the rules however one is less severe than the other and 1 you could argue was accidental whereas the other almost certainly was deliberate. 

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

It's following the rules the clubs wanted -

Thanks for posting the rule, something I hadn't come across before!

I can't say I am a fan of that rule. £95,000 is a high level of benefit given to exceeding the cap.

Also, the "live" salary cap management doesn't seem to be working too well either.

Finally, it's also damning of Leeds 2018 season that they exceeded the cap!

14 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I can't say I am a fan of that rule. £95,000 is a high level of benefit given to exceeding the cap.

It's almost as if they all know there is a good chance of doing the same breaches... 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

8 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It was simply an admin error, they didn’t update the RFL of changes to a couple of players wages straight away as should be done with a live cap 

Or they knew it would go over and conveniently forgot to tell the RFL ? 

3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Well, they’re not getting a points deduction, it’ll be a fine. 

The article explains they have revised the rules on points deduction.

The charges seem fair enough.  It's clear that sometimes these complicated rules cause problems.

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

Are you thick or what?

Shame.

I had a lot of respect for Leeds as they were the only SL title-winning club NOT to have broken the cap.   For me that meant a lot in terms of integrity.

No more the clean-cut, example-setting darlings of the RFL... ?

10 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Shame.

I had a lot of respect for Leeds as they were the only SL title-winning club NOT to have broken the cap.   For me that meant a lot in terms of integrity.

No more the clean-cut, example-setting darlings of the RFL... ?

The irony being we managed to Win all those titles by staying under the cap, and we go and break the cap whilst nearly being relegated!

2 hours ago, johnh1 said:

John. Mate, let it go. I have fabulous memories of this season. Even the GF, where we were so close that a single different decision could have had Saints in flat-out panic mode and who knows what would have happened? If you keep looking for conspiracies, you will find them and it will sour your memories of 2019, the best season I have known as a Salford fan.

Cherish the good and let the bad go.

Enjoy the winter and "Look out, Super League! The Salford Reds are rising!"

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

25 minutes ago, Havenwarrior said:

Worrying thing is they could have avoided the situation by Loaning a player out. Is that really allowed.

"We had no idea we had exceeded the 'live' cap at the time and, with hindsight, we could have averted the breach by loaning out a player to another club."

HW

Yes. They still count the whole of the player's salary on their cap spend but can offset what the loaning club agree to pay against the grand total.

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It really shows how poorly Leeds have been managed if they’ve managed to exceed the salary cap with that 2018 team. Some ridiculous wages at average players must have been thrown around by them. 

Cunningham’s squad were paid up to the cap. 

It is a sound principle to make the punishment fit the crime. 

14 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I quickly realised I’d misjudged the bitterness some of them still hold....for being caught cheating. 

Wrong Salford, Wigan and Leeds all did the deed because of administrative error ? ! And it's not the bitterness of being caught it's the sadness about the differences in response or punishment.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

It's like how police and CPS continue to lessen the punishments for motorists and we see more incidents with even less f@@@s given to breaking the law, only this time the guilty parties get to change the punishments, utter madness!

Archived