Rhinos Salary Cap Breach

16 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Wrong Salford, Wigan and Leeds all did the deed because of administrative error ? ! And it's not the bitterness of being caught it's the sadness about the differences in response or punishment.

Nope - that’s not what Salford claimed at all. Go to the link in a comment on the first page of this thread which contains an article that explains the Salford situation. And as far as why the punishment is different, man some of you guys are really struggling to get your head round this - it’s quite straight forward. But don’t let the fact get in the way of a foundationless conspiracy theory. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Nope - that’s not what Salford claimed at all. Go to the link in a comment on the first page of this thread which contains an article that explains the Salford situation. And as far as why the punishment is different, man some of you guys are really struggling to get your head round this - it’s quite straight forward. But don’t let the fact get in the way of a foundationless conspiracy theory. 

Oh dear!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Right, so if I read this correctly, some people on this thread are advocating that a club caught going £1K over the cap should be treated in the same way as a club that spends £10 Million?

No it's the head tackle rule "He's just not that sort of player!" so the only time it's equal is on the head of the victim.

1 minute ago, Jim Prendle said:

Yes, it is, and that's another reason why it should be either raised significantly, or abolished.

Couldn't agree more it's not even a real one that equalises things anyway.

3 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Salford's breaches were intentional. Wigan's and Leeds' were genuine administrative errors. Leeds' punishment was what was agreed and voted upon by the Super League clubs *themselves*.

This has been explained to you at least three times.

Of course they were.

The clubs may have decided otherwise but IMO the minimum for breaching the salary cap should be a 2 point deduction. Yes it's a bit complicated but it isn't rocket science either.

Leeds' mitigating circumstances are less plausible than Wigan's - they gave contract improvements to players but didn't work that through their cap calcs? BS. The submission of contracts excuse is the reason it wasn't picked up live by the salary cap administrator (a system flaw) but it doesn't answer why our own internal controls didn't pick this up, this isn't some obscure part of the regulations, they were paying the players more money.

I know how much minds were elsewhere during the 2018 season with the stadium, sorting out the RU club, losing McDermott and the team trying to be relegated but these are the basics and this breach is unforgiveable.

Just now, M j M said:

The clubs may have decided otherwise but IMO the minimum for breaching the salary cap should be a 2 point deduction. Yes it's a bit complicated but it isn't rocket science either.

Leeds' mitigating circumstances are less plausible than Wigan's - they gave contract improvements to players but didn't work that through their cap calcs? BS. The submission of contracts excuse is the reason it wasn't picked up live by the salary cap administrator (a system flaw) but it doesn't answer why our own internal controls didn't pick this up, this isn't some obscure part of the regulations, they were paying the players more money.

I know how much minds were elsewhere during the 2018 season with the stadium, sorting out the RU club, losing McDermott and the team trying to be relegated but these are the basics and this breach is unforgiveable.

Yep can’t disagree with any of that

20 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Unforgivable seems a bit of an over-reaction. 

Frankly the cap as a principle, and certainly in practice are silly. I can't get too worked up about a team going over it by a small fraction. 

If you don't like it in principle, fine but the fact is it's in place and therefore forms part of the rules.

The Leeds breach is not even really a "small fraction", it's probably similar or more than what Luke Briscoe was paid for playing for Leeds that year. A player who Leeds found it tremendously useful to have back when Ryan Hall got injured. A player who scored five tries as we scraped away from relegation.

5 hours ago, johnh1 said:

They were all breaches. Salford received their points deduction at the back end of the regular season and nearly got relegated because of it. Why shouldn’t Leeds receive a points deduction?

Should someone who gives somebody a slap get the same punishment as someone who kicks someone half to death.

They are both assault.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

John. Mate, let it go. I have fabulous memories of this season. Even the GF, where we were so close that a single different decision could have had Saints in flat-out panic mode and who knows what would have happened? If you keep looking for conspiracies, you will find them and it will sour your memories of 2019, the best season I have known as a Salford fan.

Cherish the good and let the bad go.

Enjoy the winter and "Look out, Super League! The Salford Reds are rising!"

Cheers Tony. Nothing can detract from the fabulous season that we have had this year. Sadly, though, this forum has now become a place where you cannot give your view without receiving insults. So I am now out of here for quite a long time. Here’s to a great 2020.

2 hours ago, meast said:

So apart from Huddersfield, who else HASN'T broken the salary cap??

Your turn will come believe me. Anyway I'm embarrassed with this never will I mention other clubs in this context again.

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

I don’t think that I have suggested that they should. 

Well yes you have in a roundabout way, you are just so blind prejudiced that you don't see it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

21 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Right, so if I read this correctly, some people on this thread are advocating that a club caught going £1K over the cap should be treated in the same way as a club that spends £10 Million?

so if you rob a bank and come away with £1,000 or £10M the punishments should be different? What if you accidentally overspend by your notional £10M, another club deliberately overspends by £1000, one is intent, which in law gets you a higher punishment, the other doesn't. Death by careless driving often ends without any prison time and a small fine/small driving ban if any, a serious injury done deliberately will get you a higher punishment.

If you continue to hand out low level punishments for gaining an advantage then there is no deterrent to it, clubs will continue to lie and make statements to try cover up their wrongdoing and the clubs themselves have now set the tariff for punishments even lower. why even bother having the rules when even when clubs breach them they get a minor slap on the wrist despite the fact it may have a direct affect on results that can and often does gain them vastly more prize money and even in extreme cases avoid relegation and all the fallout from that happening. We've seen this happening in the past and even the present and yet it'll continue because the RFL have allowed the sanctions to be controlled by the clubs now, not that they were any good beforehand!

Archived