French Captain - jacks national team.

Do we in the U.K. have to take some responsibility for helping to grow the game in France and the competitiveness of their national team?

I feel we do as the northern hemisphere’s main player.

I’m not wanting to underplay the things that have been done down the years or are still being done now, and it’s not like the RFL are flush with cash.

11 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Do we in the U.K. have to take some responsibility for helping to grow the game in France and the competitiveness of their national team?

I’m not wanting to underplay the things that have been done down the years or are still being done now, and it’s not like the RFL are flush with cash.

yes.

They are our closest competition, we can have mid season internationals with them etc.. we just dont want to (for reasons i dont understand). 

If they were to play more etc then arguably they would be more professional and players would be more committed.

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

yes.

They are our closest competition, we can have mid season internationals with them etc.. we just dont want to (for reasons i dont understand). 

If they were to play more etc then arguably they would be more professional and players would be more committed.

I agree. I think both the RFL and NRL, as the dominant governing bodies and leagues, have an obligation to grow and better the game in their respective hemispheres. It can only benefit them in the long run too.

14 hours ago, Damien said:

If only the French national team could ever get it's act together. They've been a shambles for as long as I can remember.

It would be interesting to see the detail - names, reasons etc etc

Im on the fence about helping them too much.  Set up regular competitions and find a way to continue the gangway into and out of both Leagues for Players, but how much more help should we offer.  Plain to see some of their Youth can compete with ours, but at upper tier they still cant.

9 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

It would be interesting to see the detail - names, reasons etc etc

Im on the fence about helping them too much.  Set up regular competitions and find a way to continue the gangway into and out of both Leagues for Players, but how much more help should we offer.  Plain to see some of their Youth can compete with ours, but at upper tier they still cant.

For me its about giving them mathes. The more matches they get the more seriously they will take these sorts of issues and the more seriously they may act towards their national team.. otherwise they are liable to get embarrassed.. Both France and Wales should be getting regular games against England to excite their players and keep the fanbase interested it can be done without cheapening the England shirt too IMHO. 

If, in the end, they cannot fix it with this sort of help then fine but if we arent even doing this then IMHO we shouldnt really complain too much if Australia arent too keen on helping out the pacific nations or us. 

15 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes. The RFL, IRL and even NRL have all varying levels of responsibility for the failure of RL in France.

Yes. The RFL, IRL and even NRL have all varying levels of responsibility for the failure of RL in France.

I agree !

But the first responsible is  the french RL federation and his president.

Secondly, the indiferrence of RFL, IRL and even NRL.

Result:  RL dying in France, except the Catalan Dragons and Toulouse at a lesser degree. But they are Super League clubs, no french RL clubs.

With the Dragons without TV coverage, we go directly to precipice.

END OF THE STORY ?

3 hours ago, RP London said:

For me its about giving them mathes. The more matches they get the more seriously they will take these sorts of issues and the more seriously they may act towards their national team.. otherwise they are liable to get embarrassed.. Both France and Wales should be getting regular games against England to excite their players and keep the fanbase interested it can be done without cheapening the England shirt too IMHO. 

If, in the end, they cannot fix it with this sort of help then fine but if we arent even doing this then IMHO we shouldnt really complain too much if Australia arent too keen on helping out the pacific nations or us. 

Yes, more or less what I’ve suggested.  

Personally, on top of a Test match, I’d like to see a double header, home and away, involving the England and French 1st and Academy  teams every year.  That would benefit twofold in.       1. competition and 2. young lads training with the 1st team squad.  Play it over aggregate score for , say, Prince Harry’s charity.

There would be problems of relations between the federation and the selected players (bonuses, living conditions there etc). Our current federation is too authoritarian and seeks to save money by any means. 
Jason Baitieri is probably right to put this problem in the light but he forgets to mention major reasons for the decline of our national team

But the situation is more complex than that. for example, French players have the pressure of their boss (Catalan Dragons) and have to put their professional career ahead of the national team.

Thats why we have to deal with a growing number of players who put their club career above all else.

In addition, the eligibilty rules adopted in 2016 condemns France to lose  against national teams composed of Australians, New Zealanders and English. The irony in these rules is that they have was proposed by Tas Baitieri, the father of the captain of the France team and the French federation said nothing when these new rules have changed the situation.

If we want to promote the return of France on the international scene, we must impose Dragons and selected players to defend our team in France. We need to go back to eligibility rules that would favor real teams and not legacy teams.
We can not want the show at any cost by destroying our development efforts.

On the other hand I think it would be very useful if an English treizist leader accustomed to professionalism becomes President of the French federation to help our local championship to take a new step. In France, we have no one able to take up this challenge.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

How often does Palanque and Rimmer get together? Sea change this century with all Pacific Island teams full of NRL players. Last WC in Europe France had two sell outs in Perpignan and 17,000 in Avignon the latter  biggest turnout  in nearly fifty years. The game is changing radically. Fages, Navarrete and Escare Grand Final winners in last two years - a first just like Catalans winning at Wembley. McNamara has to find the right balance. If the Dragons had lost at Leigh in 2017 they wouldn't have won the Challenge Cup a year later - and wouldn't have drawn a 31,000 crowd to Barcelona.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

They need more development officers in the villages and cities, they leave all development and promotion to the clubs, if you aren't from one of the villages or places rl is played you know nothing about it never mind a chance of playing the game, development guys offering free coaching in schools at sports times, lunch time or after school clubs etc etc 

Especially away from the perpignan area. 

17 minutes ago, barnyia said:

They need more development officers in the villages and cities, they leave all development and promotion to the clubs, if you aren't from one of the villages or places rl is played you know nothing about it never mind a chance of playing the game, development guys offering free coaching in schools at sports times, lunch time or after school clubs etc etc 

Especially away from the perpignan area. 

Hope you’ve got your head above water Barny.

2 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Yes just à lot of rain but no real flooding like last year, 25 cm over night between Tuesday and Wednesday 

Friends of ours got washed out in St.Cyp.  In between the storm drains at Angeles side and the sea coming in down the side of the harbour.  Sounds bad.

On 21/10/2019 at 20:56, Private Baldrick said:

Mrs Baldrick wants to know if he is doing them individually or 2 at a time?

What is her preferred technique?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Unfortunately while the Catalans Dragons were brought into SL to improve the French National team, they have failed to deliver any improvement to the National team. I agree that England /GB need to play France mid-season every year. Results will go GB’s way initially- but Aus used to be miles better than NZ but they still played annually and it has helped NZ get better. GB need to play France regularly to see them get better.

France also need a marquee coach. We have seen the improvement in England, NZ etc. with a top-class coach. I’m sure they could attract one from Aus (Trent Robinson would be ideal).

France have some great players. But they need to be playing for the National team and have a coach that can bring it all together

Archived