Favourite 13 of all time.

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

Or people of a certain age have rose tinted glasses when it comes to the past and the old tours.

no mate the players of today don't compare 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I may have tweaked the occasional position, but the best players are adaptable, right? And I'll have changed my mind about at least half of these before the forum's finished saving my post.

1. Anthony Minichiello. There were faster, stronger, more exciting FBs around, but he read opposition kicks better than anyone I've seen. Just what you need to turn defence into attack, thanks to...
2. Jason Robinson. The young version, particularly when working with...
3. Va'aiga Tuigamala. I'd seen him briefly playing for the All Blacks before he joined Wigan, and I knew he'd do all right. He did a bit better than that!
4. Andrew Ettingshausen. Infuriatingly effective in the Green & Gold.
5. Lesley Vainikolo. Big, fast, explosive and entertaining.
6. Brett Kenny. Need I explain?
7. Shaun Johnson. Inconsistent, but you remember the games when he was playing at his peak.
8. Kevin Ward. Big, mean and mobile.
9. Cameron Smith. The stats speaks for themelves.
10.Kurt Sorensen. Part Norseman, part Tongan - a good mix for a RL forward, I'd say.
11.Jason Taumalolo. The speed, the strength, the stepping - phenomenal.
12.Sam Burgess. That Rabbitohs Grand Final win alone earns him the spot, let alone everything else he's done.
13.Les Boyd. Now I just have stop him picking a fight with Kurt.

Bench
Jonathan Davies. Had to fit Jiffy in somehow. A versatile talent to add to the backs and make things happen.
Steve Menzies. He's a useful all-rounder, and a proper legend to boot.
Jamie Peacock. British steel and a leader.
Adrian Morley. British steel and a bit mental.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes they do.

If this is the case,name me who you consider to be match winners or characters. The game at the moment is full of clones sticking to drills and set moves,rarely you see something different or special players who stand head and shoulders above the rest

Just now, Rhinoferg said:

If this is the case,name me who you consider to be match winners or characters. The game at the moment is full of clones sticking to drills and set moves,rarely you see something different or special players who stand head and shoulders above the rest

Pretty much what every older generation has said about every younger generation of players since the game began.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Pretty much what every older generation has said about every younger generation of players since the game began.

Indeed. I remember as a kid my father going on about the likes of Alex Murphy, Mal Reilly etc and how the players didn't compare. My Grandad did the same about Billy Boston, Eric Ashton etc. I even found myself on Sunday watching Hunted and showing my son clips of Martin Offiah and raving about what he could do. That led on to Ellery Hanley. It's always been the way.

Modern day players are bigger stronger and faster than they were when I started watching the game in the mid 80's.

But they are also more skilful as well.  Of course we remember the very best players of every generation but on the whole modern players are throwing passes, making offloads, executing kicks and scoring tries that wouldn't have been dreamed of 30 or 40 years ago.

What people confuse is the way the game is played with the ability of the players.  There are some parts of the modern game I don't like as much as the 80's/90's version but let's not confuse that with the talent of the players.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Graham Steadman

Jason Robinson 

Vi'aga Tuigamala

Richie Blackmore

St John Ellis

Benji Marshall

Rangi Chase

Lee Crooks

Isaac Luke

Paul Anderson

Dean Widders

Ali Laulititi 

Tawera Nikau

George Rose

Dean Sampson

Adrian Vowles

Steve Menzies

Jamie Sandy and James Graham making up the 19 man squad.

It made my head hurt thinking about the Greatest X111—- but I’ll definitely give my favourite 13 a go 

1. Jiffy 

2. Des Drummond

3. Phil Blake

4. Kevin Iro 

5. Martin Offiah

6. Wally Lewis

7. Andy Gregory

8. Les Boyd

9. Benny Elias

10. Kurt Sorensen

11. Mark Roberts 

12. Mike Gregory

13. Ellery Hanley

I still love the game—— just loved it a bit more then 

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Modern day players are bigger stronger and faster than they were when I started watching the game in the mid 80's.

But they are also more skilful as well.  Of course we remember the very best players of every generation but on the whole modern players are throwing passes, making offloads, executing kicks and scoring tries that wouldn't have been dreamed of 30 or 40 years ago.

What people confuse is the way the game is played with the ability of the players.  There are some parts of the modern game I don't like as much as the 80's/90's version but let's not confuse that with the talent of the players.

There is no doubt that the game has changed but if you lost your talisman then your team struggled, these days they are not missed as much. All clones, which as a game is not attractive

Archived