New York - weeks from approval

Copa

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Does it though? As in I can see it says that on Wiki but every image i've ever seen of Pier 40 shows it just be a multi-use artificial field. Maybe it holds 5000 vehicles? After all, it's primary use is as a car park........

Talking about the Red Bull Arena in Harrison on Twitter.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my point exactly. The players will come from lower end sl clubs. They will then replace the super league club. For all intents and purposes they are buying a franchise. Great publicity though

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That wouldn't be good now would it? His head exploding would get brains all over his flatcap. 

No chance of that. His cap is on so tight the force of the explosion will go straight down.

I don’t mean to be sceptical but didn’t Toronto say as much, in regards to Canadian players and haven’t there only been two, Rhys Jacks and Quinn Ngatawa, in their 3-4 years? I’ve got no problem with them saying they’re going to do this, but I’m not expecting a club playing out of one of the most iconic cities on the planet to have thirteen Americans each week, their goal is more likely to be similar to Toronto’s of getting to the top in X years (Toronto said 5, they’ve done it in 3) and having a longer term goal of developing players. Watching an American equivalent of West Wales, Coventry, Skolars etc just isn’t going to attract fans and keep these alleged blue chip sponsors.

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Even advertising kit on the NY bid site.  

Decent video.  

Mind you.  We can learn nowt.

Agreed, what do these upstart North American sports conglomerates think they can tell Rugby League that we don’t already know and do. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Must be better than a fair few L1 grounds though!

It looks spectacular but here's a quote from the Wiki article :

"According to several reports, the Pier is severely dilapidated and gradually sinking into the Hudson River. Sections of the roof have fallen in, and portions of the garage, a stairwell, bathrooms, and one of the upper fields, have been closed since 2012. A 2014 report found that over half of the facility's 3,500 steel girders that hold it above the river are severely deteriorated, possibly due to the electrical rust-protection system being shut down during the 1970s fiscal crisis. The turf field is also subject to flooding and warping after heavy precipitation, even though turf fields are typically designed to optimize drainage. In spite of the revenue the facility generates, Hudson River Park officials have discussed closing the park due to the $7 million annual financial burden required to maintain it."

p40.jpg

54 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

It looks spectacular but here's a quote from the Wiki article :

"According to several reports, the Pier is severely dilapidated and gradually sinking into the Hudson Riverp40.jpg

Sounds like Super League.

new rise.jpg

6 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The opening post states nothing of TWP!  I think your domino fell short.

I know there was no mention of twp, but my point was that if they were blocked, then the chances of New York going ahead would have been very slim. You agree?  

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/nrl-2019-super-league-new-york-dean-ritchie-rugby-league/g3zusaq3q2wl1t67v67a2phms

“What they said to me yesterday was that if they are in League 1, they aren’t going to offer $1 million to a marquee player because the division is too low," he said.

"An elite player would get bored – but when they go higher and higher, perhaps into the Super League – they are claiming they would have $1 million a year to spend on a marquee player and a face of the franchise to attract crowds.

8 hours ago, TIWIT said:

No chance of that. His cap is on so tight the force of the explosion will go straight down.

It's made of tin foil..the mess will be fully contained

18 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That wouldn't be good now would it? His head exploding would get brains all over his flatcap. 

Well a lot of blood, bone, skin and hair anyway. 

Archived