New York - weeks from approval

Copa

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They obviously aren't very familiar with how Toronto operate then are they ?

It's outside of Australia, you should be thankful they've heard of them.

new rise.jpg

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Pulga said:

They seem to think that New York has plenty of expats to target, which as we know from London's experience doesn't necessarily work.  Are there even a comparable number of expats in New York as compared to London?

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

They seem to think that New York has plenty of expats to target, which as we know from London's experience doesn't necessarily work.  Are there even a comparable number of expats in New York as compared to London?

Apparently there were 20,000 Aussies in 2011.

The difference with NY is that rugby league doesn't have a stigma like it does in the south of England.

new rise.jpg

i my time as a league fan and i 40 now never seen so much new activity. the north american expansion brings one thing our code does not have alot of corporate dollars and tv deal. while the dragons bring on field success money and tv deal money has not happened in france. 

who knows if ottawa, new york and toronto take off they could run there own league ala pro14 with french clubs. 

the years international program is most ambitious i have seen with gb playing nz, png and tonga. while the oceania program with likes of aussies, fiji, samoa, tonga all playing each other with top level squads as well as nines program. also seeing a 4 nations african cup shows our code is making noise around the globe. brazil is another that seems on the right path. 

france is biggest disappointment imo and i really think enough is enough is huge no shows its not good enough anymore,  when you have these names missing  gigot, escare, yaha, fages, springer, bousquet, maria, simon, robin, barthau, ader, bergal, baiteri, julian, garcia. pelissier picking spain over france and casty retired. 

5 minutes ago, SL17 said:

They are home grown talent, with the exception of a couple. They have structure now. But there is nothing coming out of Canada in 3 years that suggests any structure. 

All eggs in one basket to reach the promised land without a homegrown player in sight.

You call that expansion?

Heard of melbourne storm ?? Same model ot works read up on it. 

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

They are home grown talent, with the exception of a couple. They have structure now. But there is nothing coming out of Canada in 3 years that suggests any structure. 

All eggs in one basket to reach the promised land without a homegrown player in sight.

You call that expansion?

Yes teams are being built without proper foundations being set. Meanwhile the heartlands are being neglected. There’s a real possibility that it can all come crashing down. Can’t help but feel this is the last roll of the dice for rugby league which explains the Hail Mary attempt to grow the game. If it comes off, it can work out very well but on the flip side, it can be disastrous for the sport

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Yes teams are being built without proper foundations being set. Meanwhile the heartlands are being neglected. There’s a real possibility that it can all come crashing down. Can’t help but feel this is the last roll of the dice for rugby league which explains the Hail Mary attempt to grow the game. If it comes off, it can work out very well but on the flip side, it can be disastrous for the sport

How are the heartlands being neglected?

Your answer to that will determine whether the rest of your post is worth discussing.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

6 hours ago, winnyason said:

Heard of melbourne storm ?? Same model ot works read up on it. 

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

I don’t see your point on that one. They are in an established environment.

Explain that one. Rugby league was non-existant pretty much in the state of Victoria before the Storm. They have produced only a handful of NRL players in 2 decades.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

14 hours ago, Pulga said:

Apparently there were 20,000 Aussies in 2011.

The difference with NY is that rugby league doesn't have a stigma like it does in the south of England.

If their distribution by state of origin is the same as the general population in Australia, about half come from NSW and Queensland and half from the states were Aussie Rules dominates.  Some of the former half will have grown up in RU supporting households, so the number of RL followers will be somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of of the total.  Here's a question: after the decades of Aussie dominance over the Brits in international RL, how many of those will be willing to make the trek to Harrison NJ to see a team playing in the English third tier?

31 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

If their distribution by state of origin is the same as the general population in Australia, about half come from NSW and Queensland and half from the states were Aussie Rules dominates.  Some of the former half will have grown up in RU supporting households, so the number of RL followers will be somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of of the total.

That's being very generous to union. It wouldn't be 10% as popular as league in NSW and Qld. So closer to being between 2/5 and 1/2.

31 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Here's a question: after the decades of Aussie dominance over the Brits in international RL, how many of those will be willing to make the trek to Harrison NJ to see a team playing in the English third tier?

I'm not sure it would matter too much. I don't think the average person knows much about the international game if I'm honest.

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, Pulga said:

That's being very generous to union. It wouldn't be 10% as popular as league in NSW and Qld. So closer to being between 2/5 and 1/2.

I'm not sure it would matter too much. I don't think the average person knows much about the international game if I'm honest.

If they don't know much about the international game, the low standard of play they'll see if they turn out for it likely won't impress them much.

On 22/10/2019 at 18:28, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I don’t mean to be sceptical but didn’t Toronto say as much, in regards to Canadian players and haven’t there only been two, Rhys Jacks and Quinn Ngatawa, in their 3-4 years? I’ve got no problem with them saying they’re going to do this, but I’m not expecting a club playing out of one of the most iconic cities on the planet to have thirteen Americans each week............

Their goal is more likely to be similar to Toronto’

Lord help us if they are anywhere similar to Perez's phoney clubs

I’m of course equally sceptical Oliver until New York start to deliver the things they talk about. But looking at what is now being said it sounds to me like they plan to do things properly. Is this because they see the phoney TWP who blagged their way in with no player development are not liked by the game here? 

TWP sacked their North Americans off which was a disgrace. Joe Eichner a USA International says he didn’t get a game, but with New York he expects to get a career. This is exactly what we all want for expansion. There are ten other USA players listed in the 2017 USA World cup squad. I am hopeful they like Eichner, will all get into the New York squad.

Similarly my first reaction to the top Aussie players coming out and saying it would be a great place for over the hill Aussies to go and find a new home was here we go again, but very quickly I had to admit English Superleague clubs are themselves just such a home, and I think New York having players of such skill and stature playing with home grown USA players like Eichner is actually a fantastic recipe and cannot be argued about as English SL clubs field teams with the same mix.

New York have to do it right  TWP got entry to SL on the back of an agreement with SL P&R would happen this season even though SL did not want them. After this season Superleague will decide on overseas clubs so I expect New York to do things right, Americans from the start in the squad,  and a development of their very real domestic game to produce more players. what's not to like if they actually do that???

From what's being said it sounds nothing like the phoney balonies from Canada. Therefore I conclude for now, as an expansionist that It’s a big thumbs up to New York from me. But I remain a big thumbs down for anything Perez based, that was literally broken promises and no intention of expansion…….and the same to come from Ottawa.

On 22/10/2019 at 07:37, philipw said:

It would be great to see them playing in downtown Manhattan, until crowds grow, Pier 40 (current home of the New York Knights) holds about 5000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_40_at_Hudson_River_Park

Not suitable for a professional team.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

If their distribution by state of origin is the same as the general population in Australia, about half come from NSW and Queensland and half from the states were Aussie Rules dominates.  Some of the former half will have grown up in RU supporting households, so the number of RL followers will be somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of of the total.  Here's a question: after the decades of Aussie dominance over the Brits in international RL, how many of those will be willing to make the trek to Harrison NJ to see a team playing in the English third tier?

That’s the real question. I live in New York and I don’t think I can be bothered going to Harrison. It is as you say a trek.

I also know a fair few Aussies and I reckon of all of them I know, none would go. Their contempt for SL is palpable and there just isn’t the interest in making the effort to get out there.

If the team could play closer to New York they may have a chance to draw people in, I think they’ll struggle playing out there unless they can target the local population.

3736-mipm.gif

8 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

That’s the real question. I live in New York and I don’t think I can be bothered going to Harrison. It is as you say a trek.

I also know a fair few Aussies and I reckon of all of them I know, none would go. Their contempt for SL is palpable and there just isn’t the interest in making the effort to get out there.

If the team could play closer to New York they may have a chance to draw people in, I think they’ll struggle playing out there unless they can target the local population.

They'll have a big challenge getting the local population to follow a sole US team playing in a foreign league, they're used to it being the other way around in the established major leagues over here.  If they would play in a multinational league with teams from other globally recognized cities instead, that might get them interested.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

They'll have a big challenge getting the local population to follow a sole US team playing in a foreign league, they're used to it being the other way around in the established major leagues over here.  If they would play in a multinational league with teams from other globally recognized cities instead, that might get them interested.

Like Toronto, London and Perpignan?

3736-mipm.gif

Archived