New York - weeks from approval

Copa

42 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The first two of those are such cities, the latter not.

I don’t think they’ll attract a crowd whether it’s London, Paris, Bogota or Swinton to be honest. It needs to be closer to New York.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I don’t think they’ll attract a crowd whether it’s London, Paris, Bogota or Swinton to be honest. It needs to be closer to New York.

Unfortunately there aren't any suitable venues in New York as far as I can tell.  Neither Citi Field nor Yankee Stadium have room for an RL field, they barely have room to accommodate a soccer field.

15 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Unfortunately there aren't any suitable venues in New York as far as I can tell.  Neither Citi Field nor Yankee Stadium have room for an RL field, they barely have room to accommodate a soccer field.

They’re also way too big. I’ve always thought the Icahn Stadium would be ok for league 1 but it’s too small for anything more. 

If New York City get their stadium in the Bronx that would be ideal but that’s some time off.

3736-mipm.gif

10 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Lord help us if they are anywhere similar to Perez's phoney clubs

I’m of course equally sceptical Oliver until New York start to deliver the things they talk about. But looking at what is now being said it sounds to me like they plan to do things properly. Is this because they see the phoney TWP who blagged their way in with no player development are not liked by the game here? 

TWP sacked their North Americans off which was a disgrace. Joe Eichner a USA International says he didn’t get a game, but with New York he expects to get a career. This is exactly what we all want for expansion. There are ten other USA players listed in the 2017 USA World cup squad. I am hopeful they like Eichner, will all get into the New York squad.

Similarly my first reaction to the top Aussie players coming out and saying it would be a great place for over the hill Aussies to go and find a new home was here we go again, but very quickly I had to admit English Superleague clubs are themselves just such a home, and I think New York having players of such skill and stature playing with home grown USA players like Eichner is actually a fantastic recipe and cannot be argued about as English SL clubs field teams with the same mix.

New York have to do it right  TWP got entry to SL on the back of an agreement with SL P&R would happen this season even though SL did not want them. After this season Superleague will decide on overseas clubs so I expect New York to do things right, Americans from the start in the squad,  and a development of their very real domestic game to produce more players. what's not to like if they actually do that???

From what's being said it sounds nothing like the phoney balonies from Canada. Therefore I conclude for now, as an expansionist that It’s a big thumbs up to New York from me. But I remain a big thumbs down for anything Perez based, that was literally broken promises and no intention of expansion…….and the same to come from Ottawa.

I have to say I'm surprised you show your face around here anymore with how many times you've been flat wrong.

I like the new positive Parky though.

new rise.jpg

New York is a huge gamble, with terrible consequences for expansion if it fails, but with huge rewards if it works. It will be helpful if Toronto can retain its place in Super League and thus create a north American rivalry.

On 22/10/2019 at 07:41, Wellsy4HullFC said:

SL to rebrand to the I3C? (Inter-Continental Club Cup)

They'll know it's rugby league because I and 3 looks like 13.

I'll await my marketing cheque in the post...

Good try.

In all seriousness though I think that it should be re-branded TARL -- the Trans Atlantic Rugby League. That will definitely give a simple peg for the US and Canadian media to latch on to. 

Of course the whole concept would be stronger from a marketing perspective if we also have Toulouse, and perhaps London (with a decent ground), participating in Super League by the time New York arrives in Super League.

45 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

New York is a huge gamble, with terrible consequences for expansion if it fails, but with huge rewards if it works. It will be helpful if Toronto can retain its place in Super League and thus create a north American rivalry.

Absolutely! It would be awesome to establish a North American rivalry 

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

Good try.

In all seriousness though I think that it should be re-branded TARL -- the Trans Atlantic Rugby League. That will definitely give a simple peg for the US and Canadian media to latch on to. 

Of course the whole concept would be stronger from a marketing perspective if we also have Toulouse, and perhaps London (with a decent ground), participating in Super League by the time New York arrives in Super League.

Too many letters. The RLIF just changed to IRL because 4 letters is apparently too much unless it works something (FIFA & UEFA are ok in this regard). I suppose TARL spells something, but it's only one syllable. Maybe TARLA (association)?

Or shorten it to Atlantic Rugby League. Is ARL in use...?

Could be AtRL. Or @RL? 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

12 hours ago, Big Picture said:

You need to be looking at high school and small college stadiums in NY as potential homes like what the MLR teams are doing. 

5 hours ago, Pulga said:

I have to say I'm surprised you show your face around here anymore with how many times you've been flat wrong.I like the new positive Parky though.

I have to say I've been positive on all expansion since London came along in 1980, and as for "showing my face" I've been on here far longer than you ever have have, and contributed far more than the utterly pathetic dreams about Toronto Wolfpack ruling the world. In doing so I've never tried to hound people off the board either.  In 2016 I spotted a confidence trick that promised players and TV riches, that you may have fallen for but I didn't and was proved right - not wrong - when the phoney club sent out their Coach recently to mumble about how they couldn't get any TV deals and were unlikely to develop any players. I'm flat right about TWP.

I ain't being "new", when I praise the idea New York will use REAL LIFE USA players who exist in the REAL LIFE USARL and who have played in two world cups. I ain't new when I praise a club that isn't promising to create a transatlantic league funded by a £500M Fox sports deal, and staffed by Grid Iron converts.

The two clubs as it stands at the moment are chalk and cheese, phoney and substance, they are on completely different trajectories.

So my approval so far, but they must develop the USA game to be strong enough to support a pro New York club, they must aim to be North Americas equivalent of Les Catalans only with more American players..........But I fear that.................

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

In all seriousness though I think that it should be re-branded TARL -- the Trans Atlantic Rugby League. That will definitely give a simple peg for the US and Canadian media to latch on to. Of course the whole concept would be stronger from a marketing perspective if we also have Toulouse, and perhaps London (with a decent ground), participating in Super League by the time New York arrives in Super League.

PPPPPPLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEE  NO........ STOP IT

We are not going Transatlantic. There is no deal for any Transatlantic League. Supeleague have already set in stone a maximum of overseas clubs of three so please can we stop all this silly dreaming. We can't go Transatlantic there aren't the players for it, we can't throw aside Northern English clubs who are real and develop players, and get £six figure TV deals for  your silly dreams. Please go and open a dream thread.

Let real expansionists discuss the difficulties, the pitfalls and some real targets to aim for please lets' forget the World domination stuff and have a decent discussion this time around?

There's always a queue at the door of TGG fans to talk about failure, problems and worries. We say NY great idea they must start off at the bottom so we can moan about the fact that they're there and how unfair it all is, and if it fails how bad it will be for RL and expansion. TWP have made it to SL but that isn't allowed to be a criteria for success. They pushed crowds up in the Champioship and that was a positive thing. They raised interest levels in a flagging TGG population but that counted for nothing. The media became more interested in RL for the first time in decades and that was filed in the dust bin.

"When I was younger I believed, that dreams came true.
Now I wonder.
Cause' I've seen much more dark skies, than blue.
Now I wonder.

or

I keep on praying for a blue sky, I keep on searching through the rain.
I keep on thinking of the good times, will they ever come again?
Now I wonder.
Now I wonder. "

Same song!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

What are the terrible consequences?

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Not sure where Parky gets his uncharacteristic confidence that NYRLFC would field REAL LIFE Americans from. 

I'm sure they could go halves with Toronto in cardboard cutouts.

new rise.jpg

4 hours ago, Keith989 said:

You need to be looking at high school and small college stadiums in NY as potential homes like what the MLR teams are doing. 

Things like that only confirm what a small time outfit Minor League Rugby is, so no.

9 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

What are the terrible consequences if it fails? Like Toronto, there'd be a smattering of negative publicity, and then everyone would move on. No money already in the game would be lost. To be honest, it's the failure of heartland clubs that potentially causes systemic damage. 

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

OK, own up. Who’s stolen Parky’s login? 

You are missing his strategy. You have to get behind someone to stab them in the back. This is how he can justify saying that he is pro-expansion.

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Things like that only confirm what a small time outfit Minor League Rugby is, so no.

Most colleges would have something equal to or better than Lamport,  so is that small time as well?

36 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Most colleges would have something equal to or better than Lamport,  so is that small time as well?

As I'm sure you know Lamport is very small and basic by North American pro league standards, it never hosted pro sports before the Wolfpack came along.  Realistically it's a minor league standard facility.

12 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

As I'm sure you know Lamport is very small and basic by North American pro league standards, it never hosted pro sports before the Wolfpack came along.  Realistically it's a minor league standard facility.

It's clearly done it's job so far, attracting grounds approaching 10,000, although it's fair to say Lamport needs a spruce up.

All is not lost, you'll be pleased to hear, because plans are afoot for improvements, including increasing the ground capacity, upgrading the seating and revamping the changing rooms. I understand that this aspect will fall under the remit of Bob Hunter, which is reassuring.

8 hours ago, philipw said:

Yes, it seems they did. It's a shame, as they had been running for quite a number of years.

It is a shame but not a surprise. Usarl is a low level amateur comp played by union players and expats. The minute a team loses a few players, the ‘club’ is done. They will likely come back or some other incarnation will appear but it’s not a serious comp.

The Knights took a lot of players from Old Blue, one of the big union clubs. Should have been solid. When the coach had had enough the whole thing collapsed. If Matt Bailey left the Kings they’d be done. It’s community level. 

I don’t know if you’ve been to pier 40 but it’s not suitable. It’s a car park first and foremost. The space in the middle has been astoturfed (not well) so multiple teams can train and play. Example - there’ll be 3 or 4 games of 6aside soccer going on midweek. The ‘terrace’ is just one level of concrete walkway under the car park and when you set up a rugby field it’s about 30m walk from either cone laid out touchline. 

It’s not set to for a paying spectator sport. Trust me. 

There are no real suitable stadia in New York. I would be amazed if this is successful and I really want it to be. 

3736-mipm.gif

Archived