New York - weeks from approval

Copa

21 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Too many letters. The RLIF just changed to IRL because 4 letters is apparently too much unless it works something (FIFA & UEFA are ok in this regard). I suppose TARL spells something, but it's only one syllable. Maybe TARLA (association)?

Or shorten it to Atlantic Rugby League. Is ARL in use...?

Could be AtRL. Or @RL? 

GNARL - Great North Atlantic Rugby League

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Pulga said:

I'm sure they could go halves with Toronto in cardboard cutouts.

TWP doesn't need them anymore. They could just give them to NYC but the Yanks would probably see them as illegal immigrants.

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

GNARL - Great North Atlantic Rugby League

GNARL might be amusing for a brief minute, but in the long term it might turn people off.

I had suggested Trans Atlantic Rugby League (TARL).

But I suppose that North Atlantic Rugby League (NARL) would also be suitable.

North Atlantic Rugby League has the advantage of leaving open the possibility of a South Atlantic Rugby League (SARL), should the game take off in key parts of South America, like Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina. Of course such a development would leave the truly emerging rugby league nation of Chile, a Pacific nation, marooned in the nonexistent South Pacific Rugby League. So maybe it would be better to ditch the South Atlantic Rugby League in order to create a more rational and coherent South American Rugby League, which would also be SARL.

22 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

What are the terrible consequences if it fails? Like Toronto, there'd be a smattering of negative publicity, and then everyone would move on. No money already in the game would be lost. To be honest, it's the failure of heartland clubs that potentially causes systemic damage. 

I agree with that and Superleague will concentrate on ensuring the heartland stays as strong as possible, as they now have set in stone limits for overseas clubs. But New York cannot be "Like Toronto" and expect to be wanted, it was very clear Superleague didn't want Toronto due to their inability to deliver TV money or players but a ruling left them unable to refuse them entry to SL this time. As below Superleague can veto future NA clubs so New York have to use home grown players and have to seek TV deals there, or they will sit in the second tier until they do or get ejected altogether . If they play silly games talking about how glamorous they are and how many "eyeballs" are upon them they won't be suffered for long.

7 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

North Atlantic Rugby League has the advantage of leaving open the possibility of a South Atlantic Rugby League (SARL)

Please stop this, North America can just about field one club in the RFL/SL set up here, and until that club makes some headway in terms of TV money and the development of home grown players there's no point to a second club. Real expansion is something TWP never managed or really intended to manage, but hopefully NY will. 

You also need to stop this nonsense because Superleague have now set in stone rules on allowing overseas clubs in, limiting the number with Les Catalans being one of the clubs with a quota place so Superleague will remain an M62 game with guests in perpetuity or until a country really takes to playing the game and investing in it in numbers (not the case with TWP). If somehow New York did all the right things and elicited a major response from investors and players in the USA it would be New York in and TWP out anyway.

Lets have a real life conversation this time instead of another three years of daft groundless dreams Like transatlantic, hemispherical, world  and Solar System leagues. When do you think we will be seeing Mars.v.Jupiter?????.

2 hours ago, The Parksider said:

I agree with that and Superleague will concentrate on ensuring the heartland stays as strong as possible, as they now have set in stone limits for overseas clubs. But New York cannot be "Like Toronto" and expect to be wanted, it was very clear Superleague didn't want Toronto due to their inability to deliver TV money or players but a ruling left them unable to refuse them entry to SL this time. As below Superleague can veto future NA clubs so New York have to use home grown players and have to seek TV deals there, or they will sit in the second tier until they do or get ejected altogether . If they play silly games talking about how glamorous they are and how many "eyeballs" are upon them they won't be suffered for long.

Please stop this, North America can just about field one club in the RFL/SL set up here, and until that club makes some headway in terms of TV money and the development of home grown players there's no point to a second club. Real expansion is something TWP never managed or really intended to manage, but hopefully NY will. 

You also need to stop this nonsense because Superleague have now set in stone rules on allowing overseas clubs in, limiting the number with Les Catalans being one of the clubs with a quota place so Superleague will remain an M62 game with guests in perpetuity or until a country really takes to playing the game and investing in it in numbers (not the case with TWP). If somehow New York did all the right things and elicited a major response from investors and players in the USA it would be New York in and TWP out anyway

Lets have a real life conversation this time instead of another three years of daft groundless dreams Like transatlantic, hemispherical, world  and Solar System leagues. When do you think we will be seeing Mars.v.Jupiter?????.

But , they don't have anywhere to play that is suitable 

15 hours ago, SL17 said:

That comes from investment in youth. The part of the game that has been ignored for various reasons. Mostly fame.

No doubt, but these USARL teams are nowhere near geared up for having youth teams. Youth leagues would need to be centrally funded by USARL who simply don't have the funds to do this. It's a glorified pub league.

Not sure what you mean by 'fame' but the real reason is funding and structure.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

6 hours ago, The Parksider said:

When do you think we will be seeing Mars.v.Jupiter?????.

Whilst I have some concerns about hosting games on a gas giant... aside from the home grown player thing..: I do think Mars has some merit... (especially as it’s likely to be more habitable than Earth in the next few hundred years) 

Downsides are...games would currently need to be played in blocks given the sizeable commute... and there’s no suitable stadia yet... certainly none with any atmosphere! 

24 minutes ago, Wollongong said:: I do think Mars has some merit... 

Downsides are...games would currently need to be played in blocks given the sizeable commute... and there’s no suitable stadia yet... certainly none with any atmosphere! 

I thought the idea was that the away fans bring all the atmosphere...

33 minutes ago, Wollongong said:

Whilst I have some concerns about hosting games on a gas giant... aside from the home grown player thing..: I do think Mars has some merit... (especially as it’s likely to be more habitable than Earth in the next few hundred years) 

Parky's been living on Mars for quite some time now.

14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So we have a serious issue here with the NY bid , they have nowhere suitable to play ? 

There are several stadiums in New York.

Coffey Field, 7000, is in the Bronx and currently used by Fordham University.

Lawrence A. Wien Stadium, 17000, is in Manhattan and is currently used by Columbia University'

there is also lots of smaller colleges like SUNY with small stadiums, 1000-2000. 

36 minutes ago, North but south said:

There are several stadiums in New York.

Coffey Field, 7000, is in the Bronx and currently used by Fordham University.

Lawrence A. Wien Stadium, 17000, is in Manhattan and is currently used by Columbia University'

there is also lots of smaller colleges like SUNY with small stadiums, 1000-2000. 

The Coffey Field one looks just about big enough , Wien stadium doesn't look wide enough

The SUNY one looks ok 

New York is more than just the City itself. New York State had over 19.5 million people living in it in 2018, with just 40% living in the City itself. Does a NY team need to play within the City or can it get away with playing as New York at one or more venues in New York State, which also borders with Canada on Lake Ontario near Toronto? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_(state)

7 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

New York is more than just the City itself. New York State had over 19.5 million people living in it in 2018, with just 40% living in the City itself. Does a NY team need to play within the City or can it get away with playing as New York at one or more venues in New York State, which also borders with Canada on Lake Ontario near Toronto? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_(state)

Well according to those that live there , or are much more familiar with both the area and the locals sporting foibles , yes it does 

3 hours ago, Wollongong said:

No, no, no!!!!!!

Some people on here would never agree to Mars or Jupiter having block games.  They will insist on alternate weeks of home then away !

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Fair comment. You can’t run before you walk. As for the “fame” comment TWP have chosen fame above development and structure. 

Hopefully NY don’t follow the same path. TWP stated to put rugby balls in kids hands. Which was nice! But really only hiding the fact no development or structure was under way. Are they still putting rugby balls in kids hands now they have reached the promised land?

No.

Lets hope New York do it better.

I'd disagree SL , they are putting rugby balls in kids hands , but it's RU balls in RU playing kids 

32 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Just for the Leigh legion of doom,I'm certain they are kids with RL balls in their hands.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Exactly. Cas academy have also just been hosted by the wolfpack in Toronto. Its from these little shoots of cooperation that real development starts. 

I know this was RU but my schools first ever non European tour was to Canada and the USA in the 80s iirc. These things take time to bear fruit.

It also demomstrates how clubs like Toronto and New York etc could help RL over here by getting kids who otherwise would drift away or not be interested in RL in a world of champions league football and computer games to see that its not just pockets of the M62 where this game has opportunities for you.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Just for the Leigh legion of doom,I'm certain they are kids with RL balls in their hands.

Yes, but just for a day so some press photos could be taken with TWP players before the kids ran back to their Rugby Union clubs. Not only do you swallow all this PR stuff, you promote it yourself. Stick to the OP it's about New York not the phonies.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Exactly. Cas academy have also just been hosted by the wolfpack in Toronto. Its from these little shoots of cooperation that real development starts. 

More garbage, the development of top players comes through playing regularly in organnised games in junior schools and amateur leagues. It comes from being coached by people with experience of playing RL. It comes from regular competetive games. Both of you know it does but you can't help using a thread about New York to promote the phoney club. go open your own apologists thread for TWP.

14 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

No doubt, but these USARL teams are nowhere near geared up for having youth teams. Youth leagues would need to be centrally funded by USARL who simply don't have the funds to do this. It's a glorified pub league.

Steady, these clubs are in a league, the USARL that crosses many boundaries and takes the RL game to many states. We know that the last USA team in the World cup for goodness sake had many home grown players - how good was that?

We know that developing any junior game takes decades fair enough but in the current USARL we have the opportunity for Rugby Union, Grid-Iron and any other players to give league a go with an opportunity to go train with an SL clubs and try playing at senior level pretty quickly if they are good. We have the opportunity for existing USARL players to go full time. Perez pretended to do this for 5 minutes then cynically abandoned it. New York and the USARL can run senior development week on week year on year? Back around 1970 Paul Grimes a north eastern RU player travelled to Leigh for a trial I believe, and became a great RL success. Senior converts are possible.

The issue here is are new York just aiming to get into superleague after two promotions then that is that? They will not then bother with any player development? They and Catalans and TWP will be the 25% allowed in the Superleague under the leagues new rulings? none of them bothering with junior, academy or reserves or some other system that is a serious attempt to develop quality players

And do these clubs then play in SL without any player development which is only going to see them at a disadvantage that means they join those clubs who never win anything but just make up the numbers, signing over the hill players top English and Aussie clubs don't want? We have to await more details of the NY business plan but it must include further and deeper player development  than what the USA game has actually achieved so far which is far far more than TWPhonies ever will. RL in Canada died twice - it's still dead there.

Lets forget TWP and keep the thread on New York and the USA Rugby League - it is very real.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

If you're looking for people to fess up they were wrong this is t'interweb and that's not very likely in the face of something as flimsy as evidence or as weak as proof!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

34 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

More garbage, the development of top players comes through playing regularly in organnised games in junior schools and amateur leagues. It comes from being coached by people with experience of playing RL. It comes from regular competetive games. Both of you know it does but you can't help using a thread about New York to promote the phoney club. go open your own apologists thread for TWP.

Well its not garbage is it? They're there in Toronto. They're promoting RL to youngsters both there and over here it seems - examples provided above. And if anyone wants to see how most sports expanded through history then a variety of tours isn't a bad place to start. Regular games don't just spring out of nowhere.

I hope in three years time New York are at a similar stage and its good to see you do too.

31 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Yes, but just for a day so some press photos could be taken with TWP players before the kids ran back to their Rugby Union clubs. Not only do you swallow all this PR stuff, you promote it yourself. Stick to the OP it's about New York not the phonies.

Lets forget TWP and keep the thread on New York and the USA Rugby League - it is very real.

Fancy a rugby union club calling itself Haldimand Wolfpack Rugby League Football Club.

I think you'll find it was/is you and your fellow flat earhers who continually corrupt threads including this one with anti Toronto  diatrades dreamt up in that myopic,antiquated,world of yours.

image.png

Archived