New York - weeks from approval

Copa

2 hours ago, RobertAM said:

I found him...eek...he's closer than we thought....Google it..

The Parksider, a 2-bedroom apartment in N. Buffalo

Thats it..he's the creepy guy in the Walden Galleria Mall food court who sits with a coffee and donut muttering to himself

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Thats it..he's the creepy guy in the Walden Galleria Mall food court who sits with a coffee and donut muttering to himself

You have just described half the guys in the Galleria.

He's probably the one in the flatcap drinking tea while tearing apart a scone.

7 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Where's your evidence that they are pr stunts? Last time I looked junior development was appearing across Toronto. Anyone who says that those pictures were pr stunts without factual evidence is just trolling. 

Stunts like ‘We are looking at playing on the road in big cities in Europe’ but plumping for Hull KR, or ‘we’d love to sign Sonny Bill Williams’ but ending up with Brad Singleton (possibly). That kind of stuff.

As for junior development, if you could point me towards evidence that TWP is funding the playing of under-18 rugby league (that’s rugby league, not union or touch or tag) in the Toronto area then please do so.

If they are developing a player development pathway beyond a few photo sessions then great. 

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I think some people are starting to see through Toronto’s publicity stunts but for New York where is your evidence for being excited about them fielding Americans? All I’ve read suggests they want to replicate the Toronto model but with an unsuitable stadium that is out of town and too big. Or are you building a straw man to knock down when the time is right? 

Even you as a level headed realist seems to want to make the thread about me? 

I don't know about "some people" - very large SL fan numbers responded to polls about TWP by not seeing what they bring to the game as they now realise there is no Canadian RL and there are no Canadian TV deals and never will be as Union has it all tied up. Nearly all Superleague bosses back McManus and his analysis that TWP are just a Manchester based  Anglo/Aussie club who fly out every two weeks to pretend RL is taking off in Canada.

So don't you see that if SL bosses and fans don't want this nonsense, but have had to accept TWP as part of the RFL/SL split deal, that does NOT apply to New York or Ottawa. These clubs will be blocked from entry to Superleague unless they change the business model.

How are SL bosses and SL fans going to wave another phoney set up through, and relegate yet another proper English club for that  when they didn't want TWP? How are rich New Yorkers going to spend $$Milions with no guarantee of getting into Superleague. Don't make the thread about me that's how TWP apologists avoid the hard questions.

It's true that I logically assume New York must develop the game in the USA or they won't ever be accepted by Superleague. You know the key point is expansion and as Perez agreed with the game here that is more quality professional players and more TV contracts. It's therefore essential that New York go into the Championship with as big an American contingent as they can, and despite the condemnation of the USA world cup players, I just do not buy the idea that if they professionalised and trained daily on muscle and skill they still could not give part time Championship clubs a real run for their money.

Sure...maybe I am naive to imagine that USARL will ever grow large enough to in time throw up SL quality USA players, but cut me some slack, I too dream of the game expanding, but when it comes to TWP I haven't seen any "expansion" project be as see through as TWP, it's been obvious from the start that Perez is 100% hot air, when he talked about Transatlantic leagues, multi-million NATV deals, mass conversions of Grid iron players to RL, Chinese athletes taking up RL and the like. What Baloney!!

But he never talked about the Canadian grass roots taking off did he - how could he after a six year failed stint at trying to revive it in the face of ever growing Canadian RU.  And now we see as you say McDermott coming out to dismiss the idea of Canadian SL players in his lifetime. Taking a few pictures of some tots in Rugby jerseys with a rugby ball in hand and calling that development  is as you point out nothing but another stunt - just like the "we are going to sign SBW and play all over Europe" stuff. 

I can't seem to find news of TWP actually signing anyone to date? Have I missed something MOK?? Or is the next fantasy SBW winning the Grand Final for TWP on his own? 

15 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

that's how TWP apologists avoid the hard questions.

Just give me a list of your ten hardest questions Parky, try to avoid writing a thesis and I'll respond with straight answers.

I think some of them may have been answered but if you provide the list I promise I'll set to it.

Just a list .....

The Ten most avoided .....

and the most challenging please?

Oh and as with this post it won't be about you then either.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 hours ago, RobertAM said:

7 hours ago, TIWIT said:

You have just described half the guys in the Galleria.

No he just described half of Britain

"And we'll all be lonely tonight and lonely tomorrow"

4 hours ago, The Parksider said:

in the face of ever growing Canadian RU. 

You're really exposing your ignorance of the situation here. RC's registered members are declining. Not that it actually matters when it comes to RL.

For 2017 (the most recent year RC has a report posted for) has total registrants just under 30,000. Of that, 13,355 were U19. link

The population of Canada for 2017 up to 19 years of age was 8,002,039. link

I'll even do the math for you on this one. That is 0.167%.

Do you really think one-sixth of one percent is really what's standing in anyone's way?

1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

Do you really think one-sixth of one percent is really what's standing in anyone's way?

I didn't realise the tsunami was that huge so from now on I agree with Parky.

Parky where are my questions?

Have to say that these trans-Atlantic teams in the short term are raising the profile of the game but in the long term all they are doing is diluting the English game probably at the expense of one of the lower end sl clubs

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

5 hours ago, DEANO said:

Have to say that these trans-Atlantic teams in the short term are raising the profile of the game but in the long term all they are doing is diluting the English game probably at the expense of one of the lower end sl clubs

How are they diluting the English game?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

6 hours ago, DEANO said:

Just how do you expect the player pool in English RL to grow without these trans-Atlantic teams raising the profile of the game anyway?

the Point is most people on this forum reckon there isn’t enough quality players to go around then someone comes in with loads of money and poaches the talent without developing their own

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

New York etc do not produce players, so just using the declining numbers from uk. I’m in favour of expansion , but just watering down the players from the uk (& nrl castoffs) wont help. A condition of SL should be to run reserves & academy grades also. Just my opinion

7 hours ago, DEANO said:

Have to say that these trans-Atlantic teams in the short term are raising the profile of the game 

The definition of "Raising the profile of the game" is increasing public awareness of RL. Clearly the idea of a Canadian club has had a number of people with little connection with the game and little interest, sit up and take some notice. 

That's "raising the games profile", but whether that translates into growth in terms of more fans, more players and more TV money is a different matter, which depends on what the public's reaction is. Certainly there aren't more players and never will be as they don't play RL seriously in Canada, there's no prospect of any TV deals either leaving the "fans" issue. 

Additional numbers have come out to see what TWP are all about - I did that and found them to be phonies - but the main problem as per SL bosses is the "no away fans". Like it or not such as TWP will leave the "away" ends at grounds empty and depress attendances. It's no good dragging out the old cliches about "not depending on away fans" customers are customers and it's ridiculous to pretend the away fans are just a bonus, and it's even more ridiculous to ignore the fact home fans often don't bother if London or Celtic Crusaders are the opponents, let alone a Manchester club posing as Canadians. Fans round here would rather Leeds played Cas twice than TWP and so would the clubs treasurer.

Now a real life USA team would probably be quite a draw!!

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Just how do you expect the player pool in English RL to grow without these trans-Atlantic teams raising the profile of the game 

Are you deliberately misinterpreting "raising the profile"? I think you are as usual bending every fact round to fit a narrative TWP are a fantastic success. YES TWP made people initially come out for a look at them, but all they found were the same old English journeymen's faces - there is no evidence that attendances would climb if the game went Transatlantic, in fact quite the reverse would be the effect. 

The reality is fans here want to see northern clubs play their northern rivals. That's the market, that's the nature of the fans, that's what they like. They'd rather watch Saints.v.Wigan and Warrington twice a season rather than  watch TWP or Ottawa full of English journeymen. Saints takings would be massively down and SKY TV would not be happy either as their TV audiences want traditional "proper" clubs on TV

What you typed there was abject nonsense. TWP can't grow a player pool for themselves by their own admission let alone grow the one here,  and as for attendances they would depress them across the M62. Trust me, English fans want real English teams not phoney Canadian ones........ 

47 minutes ago, DEANO said:

At a lower level hence diluting the game

And how many players are having their progress blocked by players above them? players moving on may give these lads an opportunity. There’s only so many spots available in the pro/semi pro game. An expanded competition may give other players the opportunity to program.

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

What you typed there was abject nonsense. TWP can't grow a player pool for themselves by their own admission let alone grow the one here,  and as for attendances they would depress them across the M62. Trust me, English fans want real English teams not phoney Canadian ones........ 

What I typed was nothing of the kind.  The pool of Canadian basketball players increased precisely because the NBA admitted two Canadian franchises in 1995 which raised basketball's profile in Canada and inspired more Canadian youths to want to play that game, and for no other reason.  Those two franchises raided the player pool in the US to stock their rosters, yet even though only one made a go of it in Canada in time their presence here led to Canadian players joining the pro basketball player pool.

RL being a sport with a declining player pool in the UK, it desperately needs a way to inspire more British youths to want to play RL it it's going to turn that around.  The evidence of the player pool declining clearly indicates that the same old, same old won't cut it any more and something new and different is required to stem the decline and then reverse it.  Other than glamorous teams like Toronto being added to the game's top tier, what else could possibly do that?

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

Unfortunately the player pool is declining due to not being set as priority. The RFL/SL understand that. Trying to get that through to certain expansion Clubs seems to be the issue.

I suggest that it's declining because of the game's low profile reducing its appeal to today's youth, who have come to see continental scale competitions like the Champions League, UEFA League and Heineken Cup as standard fare and consequently aren't interested in a sport with a small regional footprint like RL has in the UK.

Archived