Fri 25 Oct: Oceania Cup: Australia v New Zealand (Sky)

Who will win?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/10/19 at 08:30

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone noticed the fact that there was, As far as I could tell, zero Oceania Cup branding at the game or on the jumpers?

This was an Oceania cup game, wasn’t it? Was there any mention of itor any branding of it anywhere tonight?

I should mention that when New Zealand played Tonga in June there was Oceania cup branding all over the place, including the referees!

1 hour ago, Hughsehhh said:

Don't like to say it but you can almost see why the Aussies don't bother too much with internationals. Their u23s destroy the French and they are playing with the kiwis, the 2nd/ 3rd best team in the world.

Or they could build a global brand around their team(s) displaying such athleticism, skill and international dominance.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Or they could build a global brand around their team(s) displaying such athleticism, skill and international dominance.

Exactly. The All Blacks have thrived on such dominance the last decade. Of course they are beaten from time to time due to the sheer amount of internationals they play in Union.

NZ at their woeful worst, Johnson & Marshall can be wonderful player's with exquisite skills but when they are off form they are awful. Marshall just disappears whilst Johnson would do less damage to the cause if he followed suit.

Not a brilliant game and Australia just doing enough to win, quite a few on that field looked like they will be glad when the season is over.

1 hour ago, Jim from Oz said:

Has anyone noticed the fact that there was, As far as I could tell, zero Oceania Cup branding at the game or on the jumpers?

This was an Oceania cup game, wasn’t it? Was there any mention of itor any branding of it anywhere tonight?

I should mention that when New Zealand played Tonga in June there was Oceania cup branding all over the place, including the referees!

I think this was because this was a game staged by the NRL. The Samoa v PNG game in June was staged by the NRL and labelled as the 'Pacific Test' with little reference to its place in the Oceania Cup. Tonga v Aus next week is the same. The NRL's branding appears to take preference. 

It's also one of the reasons why in the UK we can watch some of the Oceania Cup matches but not all. Australia's games are part of the NRL contract, so Sky show them. Next week is a perfect example of this. At the triple header, Sky are showing the Aus v Tonga match, BBC2 are showing the Lions Tour match, while the Samoa v Fiji game is on the Our League app. 3 games on the same day at the same ground shown via 3 different platforms.

38 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

NZ at their woeful worst, Johnson & Marshall can be wonderful player's with exquisite skills but when they are off form they are awful. Marshall just disappears whilst Johnson would do less damage to the cause if he followed suit.

Not a brilliant game and Australia just doing enough to win, quite a few on that field looked like they will be glad when the season is over.

I used to think Benji's form could run a little hot and cold, but he's mister consistency compared with Shaun Johnson. They have got Kieran Foran in the squad, and you'd think they'd be looking at having him in there somewhere next week.

Benji's best years are definitely behind him so there's less great games than average so expecting him to be able to turn it on in a end of season series of international games is wishful thinking on Maguires part, as for Johnson I thought leaving the enigma that is the Warriors might be his making but it seems not.

Archived