Fri 25 Oct: Oceania Cup: Australia v New Zealand (Sky)

Who will win?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/10/19 at 08:30

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Benji's best years are definitely behind him so there's less great games than average so expecting him to be able to turn it on in a end of season series of international games is wishful thinking on Maguires part, as for Johnson I thought leaving the enigma that is the Warriors might be his making but it seems not.

There's a lot of Kiwis who can turn it on when they want to, but tend to go missing in action for a lot of the time. It's one of the reasons why I've always thought the Warriors have always performed better with more of an Aussie influence, be that with Aussie players or coaches (both their GF's have been with an Aussie coach). The current Warriors coach can think himself lucky to have been in the job for as long as he has.

Having said all that, I've come to the conclusion that Shaun Johnson is the biggest enigma of the lot. Maybe injuries have had an effect, but for such a naturally talented player, his lack of consistency is very frustrating. 

Unsurprising result but surprised to see the kiwis being so awful . Benji is playing on fumes at this level now , Foran will surely play against us . They blew smoke up Johnson’s backside endlessly in the nines but the same bloke has had an average season and for all his ability just doesn’t deliver it consistently enough . The Aussies as so often appear to get the job done without much fuss , like a well oiled machine that doesn’t need to hit top gear . 

Adam Blair has 50 caps FFS. How many has he actually put a shift in for?

Bromwich and Asofa Solomona were huge losses for the Kiwis. Add into that Marty Taupau (who has defected to Samoa) and that is a monster pack. Brandon Smith is also not an 80-minute player. Marshall needs pensioning off. What is he now his speed and step are gone?

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

sad fact is Australia could pick 5 different line ups and beat other nations with ease, why should they take internationals seriously?

What would their 5th best lineup be?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Benji's best years are definitely behind him so there's less great games than average so expecting him to be able to turn it on in a end of season series of international games is wishful thinking on Maguires part, as for Johnson I thought leaving the enigma that is the Warriors might be his making but it seems not.

Benji's club form has been mostly very good this season, and Johnson wen to Cronulla, who had their own problems. But neither of them have a career of consistency to call upon.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

50 minutes ago, Damien said:

Pretty impressive from Australia. NZ certainly need to get rid of some of the deadwood. Marshall and Blair need to go. I've never seen Warea-Hargreaves play well for the Kiwis either, he's a different player at international level.

I don’t agree about Australia being impressive!

The Kiwis were awful but the Ausies were pretty ordinary themselves!

With that amount of possession and field position the Australian team should have put a cricket score on such poor opposition. As it was they were gifted 12 points from interceptions.

Maybe they did just enough and that’s ok I suppose but they certainly didn’t do anything impressively.

3 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Benji's club form has been mostly very good this season, but Johnson went to Cronulla, who had their own problems. But neither of them have a career of consistency to call upon anyway.

The Kiwis have had, in the past, the luxury of calling upon players with various Pacific ancestries, who would only play for those "home" countries at the beginning and end of their careers. That's changed now, and we will have to wait and see if it stays that way.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've been a big fan of Shaun Johnson over the years, and think some of the criticism when he was at the warriors was unfair. However, his form this year has been woeful. I think NZ should drop him after what he served up last night, and pick Foran. Otherwise, NZ badly missed test quality forwards like Bromwich, Osofa-Solomona, Tapine and Harris. 

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

sad fact is Australia could pick 5 different line ups and beat other nations with ease, why should they take internationals seriously?

I tell you what, rather than picking a whole 5th choice Kangaroo team, just tell me who the spine would be for the 5th team Australia could pick to easily beat other nations.

First

1. Tedesco

6. Munster 

7. Cherry-Evans 

9. Cook

So....

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

They need to stop losing good forwards to other countries. The Tongan euphoria has come at a cost it's weakened New Zealand. RL can not afford a mediocre New Zealand. 

100% throw in the likes of Taumalolo, Fonua Blake, Taukeiaho and Taupau and it would have been a far closer game 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I tell you what, rather than picking a whole 5th choice Kangaroo team, just tell me who the spine would be for the 5th team Australia could pick to easily beat other nations.

First

1. Tedesco

6. Munster 

7. Cherry-Evans 

9. Cook

So....

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

I would go with 

2nd - Trbojevic - Keary - Moses - McInnes 

3rd - Ponga - Morgan - Pearce - Friend 

4th - Papenhuyzen - Walker - Reynolds - Mahoney

5th - Gutherson - Norman - Cleary - Brailey

I left out Wighton and Hunt as there in the team atm plus Milford as I wasn’t sure if he would play for Aus or Samoa 

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Sorry but that argument doesn't stand. Australia has chosen 'B' sides and lost to New Zealand. 

And you know what they said then? New Zealand only won because Australia sent out their B side... 

As for taking internationals seriously, since 1995, New Zealand have won almost half the international tournaments available.

A bad day every now and then doesn't mean New Zealand are rubbish. 

12 minutes ago, Buderus said:

I would go with 

I left out Wighton and Hunt as there in the team atm plus Milford as I wasn’t sure if he would play for Aus or Samoa 

I would go with something similar... maybe move the order around a little.

The fullback position looks strong all the way down, the half backs less so while the Australian hooking depth is pretty poor.

2 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

They need to stop losing good forwards to other countries. The Tongan euphoria has come at a cost it's weakened New Zealand. RL can not afford a mediocre New Zealand. 

New Zealand beat Australia recently (I think last year) with a similar mediocre side...

24 minutes ago, Buderus said:

I would go with 

6th - Moylan - Moloney - Brooks - McCullough 

57 minutes ago, Buderus said:

I would go with 

32 minutes ago, AB90 said:

6th - Moylan - Moloney - Brooks - McCullough 

Two years ago a team containing Slater, Morgan, Cronk and Smith beat England 6-0 in the World Cup final.

Yes, the Australians always have impressive depth but are these players named going to 'easily' beat the other nations as claimed?

12 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Two years ago a team containing Slater, Morgan, Cronk and Smith beat England 6-0 in the World Cup final.

Yes, the Australians always have impressive depth but are these players named going to 'easily' beat the other nations as claimed?

'Easily' is a bit tongue in cheek. However Tonga did just beat GB with a full back who is yet to make his NRL debut (I.e Queensland cup player).

Archived