Sat 26 Oct: Lions Tour: Tongan Invitational XIII v Great Britain (BBC)

Who will win?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Tongan Invitational XIII by 13 points or more
    • Tongan Invitational XIII by 7 to 12 points
    • Tongan Invitational XIII by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/10/19 at 06:30

This game will be a real test of how much influence a good half back pairing can have on a game.

In the backs and the forward pack you would have to say these teams are either even or perhaps edging towards Tonga but the British half backs are significantly better.  Let's see if they can execute a kicking game and game plan to suppress the dangers the Tongans bring.

Very tough game to call this one... I will go for Great Britain for the half back reason.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Getting up early on a Saturday morning to watch Great Britain live down under on the BBC.

Enough to make you feel like a kid again!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Possible side :-

Full-back - L Coote

Wings - J McGillvary, R Hall

Centres - Z Hardaker, J Connor

Half-backs - G Widdop, J Hastings

Front-rowers - C Hill, L Thompson

Hooker - J Hodgson

Second-rowers - E Whitehead, J Bateman

Loose-forward - J Graham(c)

Interchange - J Lomax, A Walmsley, T Burgess, J Jones

Despite peoples grumbling, im well looking foward to this tour....finish work at 7 Sat morn, home and GB....cant wait. Only decision is which retro GB shirt to wear ?

14 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I shall watch the 1st half, then the RU, and then the 2nd half

I shall not be doing that.

15 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I shall watch the 1st half, then the RU, and then the 2nd half. 

Ditto.........the crowd will be poor cos all of NZ will be at home watching the All blacks on the TV.

Brilliant weekend of rugby across both codes starting on friday morning with the Kangaroos v Kiwis 

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

The team selection for GB will be fascinating. Seeing Oz and NZ not frightened to pick players out of position I wonder if we might do the same to cover some areas. 
Widdop back to fullback with Williams and Hastings at halfback, for instance? Will there be a place for Austin, at half or on the bench or somewhere else in the lineup?

54 minutes ago, Mushy said:

The team selection for GB will be fascinating. Seeing Oz and NZ not frightened to pick players out of position I wonder if we might do the same to cover some areas. 
Widdop back to fullback with Williams and Hastings at halfback, for instance? Will there be a place for Austin, at half or on the bench or somewhere else in the lineup?

The provisional team has already been announced. So in answer to your questions, Hardaker looks like the only one playing out of his normal position, Widdop is at 6 with Coote at fullback and no it doesn't appear Austin will be playing this one. 

Great Britain RL Lions:

1. Lachlan Coote (Windsor Wolves, St Helens)

2. Jermaine McGillvary (Deighton Juniors, Huddersfield Giants)

3. Zak Hardaker (Featherstone Lions, Wigan Warriors)

4. Oliver Gildart (Wigan St Patricks, Wigan Warriors)

5. Ryan Hall (Oulton Raiders, Sydney Roosters)

6. Gareth Widdop (Kings Cross, St George Illawarra Dragons)

7. Jackson Hastings (Western Suburbs Red Devils, Salford Red Devils)

8. Chris Hill (New Springs Lions, Warrington Wolves)

9. Josh Hodgson (East Hull, Canberra Raiders)

10. Luke Thompson (Bold Miners, St Helens)

11. John Bateman (Bradford Dudley Hill, Canberra Raiders)

12. Elliott Whitehead (West Bowling, Canberra Raiders)

13. James Graham (c) (Thatto Heath, St George Illawarra Dragons)

14. Josh Jones (Blackbrook, Salford Red Devils)

15. Tom Burgess (Dewsbury Moor, South Sydney Rabbitohs)

16. Jonny Lomax (Orrell St James, St Helens)

17. Alex Walmsley (Dewsbury Celtic, St Helens)

There is an extended reserve bench made up of Connor, Hughes, Williams and Clark. Philbin and Austin not selected. 

23 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Silly kick off time.

No one will show the game due to the Union. Bah

it'll be the only time I get up early to watch a game of rugby, I've caught the second half of a couple of matches that were on later morning in the RUWC, I wouldn't be getting up at 7:30 for any of that claptrap!

49 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50057123

Decent article on the BBC to relive some nostalgia.

2006 lions team versus the current?

2006 all the way for me. Forwards, backs, halves all superior 

This side had the potential 

Archived