Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Sat 26 Oct: Lions Tour: Tongan Invitational XIII v Great Britain (BBC)

Who will win?  

69 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Tongan Invitational XIII by 13 points or more
    • Tongan Invitational XIII by 7 to 12 points
    • Tongan Invitational XIII by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/10/19 at 06:30

1 hour ago, solly said:

Lot of 'imagine ifs' in that game.

Imagine if McGillvary had passed to his unmarked inside men instead of kicking...

Are you talking about the very last play?

Two incidents stuck out for me... the first one was the ball ricocheting around the Aussie go-line mid-second half; it bounced off a few people and ended up finding its way into an Aussie set of hands rather than Roby who has right next to the individual -  a bit of luck and that would have tied it at 6-6. The second was of course the Watkins ankle tap; he was gone... back uo inside too, which would have made the score 6-6 as well.

So close... (yet so far!). Immense game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Are you talking about the very last play?

Two incidents stuck out for me... the first one was the ball ricocheting around the Aussie go-line mid-second half; it bounced off a few people and ended up finding its way into an Aussie set of hands rather than Roby who has right next to the individual -  a bit of luck and that would have tied it at 6-6. The second was of course the Watkins ankle tap; he was gone... back uo inside too, which would have made the score 6-6 as well.

So close... (yet so far!). Immense game.

I just hoped n prayed on my big day 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 would be World Champions🤣🍾

Hoping not to sound too bitter n twisted too, but...still think shackle draggers' try was marginally forward 😳

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

I just hoped n prayed on my big day 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 would be World Champions🤣🍾

Hoping not to sound too bitter n twisted too, but...still think shackle draggers' try was marginally forward 😳

Bloody jinx 😕 ! 😄 

19 hours ago, Clogiron said:

I should imagine Bennett was reasonably happy losing 6-0 whilst I and many others would have been happier with 20-26, at least then we would have shown some attacking prowess and broken the Aussie's line, any thoughts?

It at least shows we can get across the whitewash, it still the same scoreline difference but it makes you think there's a greater chance you can score, psychologically for me it's a better result but maybe different for others.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Except it wouldn't have been 20-26, it would've been 36-12, like a lot of tests between the countries have been before Bennett's time. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with lots of his selections and tactics, but England's discipline and defence has needed fixing for a long time - and Bennett has improved both considerably. Now they need to get the attack right too, and maybe that's why he's got Watson on board. A big factor, IMO, is the mid year test. Bennett has said over and over that they're essential - without one, they're just starting again every October. We saw that yesterday.

Except it wouldn't because you're completely guessing about a scenaio that never happened. We improved in defence immeasurably, that has never been in doubt regarding Bennett's strengths, however we went backwards in attack, a LOT, there is no point beefing up your defence if you're toothless in offence. We had the attacking capabilities/weapons within the team but Bennett essentially stunted that through not picking certain players including Liam Watts who was then and is now the best ball handling prop type role that Graham has been played in. Graham was good in '17 but Watts had had an outstanding season for Hull and was utterly ignored, Hill had offered less all season than Taylor who was a beast in '17 and barely got a look in. Hill did okay in the final but IMO others could have done better.

Hodgson also was bang average throughout the tournament (Roby was immense) and offered us so much less than Clarke in all aspects IMO, particularly in attack. Those decisions by Bennett cost us the chance of winning that year and he again is making the same errors in both selections and attacking. He simply isn't up to the job to improve both aspects, and going by the way we defended against Tonga even that improvement is now in doubt.

Players with a few more miles on the clock and we are an overall significantly worse team than 2017 tactically and personnel wise, that is on Bennett. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Clogiron said:

I should imagine Bennett was reasonably happy losing 6-0

I really hope he wasn’t but you wonder . The more I think of that the more I think it was a big opportunity lost . Yes as always we can talk about ifs n buts , but you’ve got to grab games .A bit more ambition and adventure and clinical edge in attack we could have got them , but as so often I don’t know if we believed 

Edited by DavidM

2 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Instead of NZ or Australia when can we see a 3 match series against Tonga over here?

They have limited funds and a national RL board that is currently suspended by the RLIF/IRL, so the RFL would probably have to bankroll a tour. Then the NRL clubs would start withdrawing talent for club-centric reasons.

They'd give us a great test series if they came at full strength, but getting them here's the hurdle.

• Like 2

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

And the Aussies were scared to play England/GB this season...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

41 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

And the Aussies were scared to play England/GB this season...

The Aussies know they dont have the ability to sell tickets. Nowt to do with this fear BS.

18k vs NZ the other day is appalling and likely to be worse for a game versus GB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The Aussies know they dont have the ability to sell tickets. Nowt to do with this fear BS.

18k vs NZ the other day is appalling and likely to be worse for a game versus GB.

Of course, I was quoting lots of forumers about the so called "fear".

By the way, Origin killed test football, though I believe they can coexist. 

• Like 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The Aussies (i.e The NRL) want to be full control of tests and who plays in them. When they play the Kiwis, all the players are NRL-based, all come under the RLPA and you don't have to do any pesky negotiating with other parties. You can set the match fees, the marketing, the venue, the objectives. They can also put the Women's test on before and it will all nicely be covered within existing TV deals with Fox Sports.

Tonga provide pretty much the same thing but for one or two SL players. It is now all about TV deals and what the NRL wants to do. Was the same with the 9s. The NRL took control so they could work with Fox and use it as a TV product first. Tickets and #### all come second.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

They have limited funds and a national RL board that is currently suspended by the RLIF/IRL, so the RFL would probably have to bankroll a tour. Then the NRL clubs would start withdrawing talent for club-centric reasons.

They'd give us a great test series if they came at full strength, but getting them here's the hurdle.

A sad state of affairs. The last few years they have been a shining light for international RL and what can be done 

Saying that am not sure a Tonga test atmosphere would be the same up here. Their fans are fantastic and not sure there are enough UK based Tongan's to recreate it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

They can tour in the same way as Australia or NZ would. The RFL need to be more confident in their ability to put on a series and profit from it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It's why we needed the official 8Nations (confed cup) or whatever they want to call it. The 4N was great, but the next step was the 8 team comp to get more nations playing top level regularly.

Relying on random tours doesn't really work.

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

As an aside, how much slower was the game without the shot clock?

Far more players going down at scrums and drop outs again.

Tonga played on that a fair bit , I reckon they knew that there was a higher chance of them getting gassed before the GB team so took as many opportunities as they could and Kendall was hardly going to do much even if he could.

• Like 1

Organizers will now think twice next time about hosting a GB tour during union world cup finals. If the UWC semi out rates the GB test (IN AUSTRALIA the home of RL) then you know it was a bad idea https://www.mediaweek.com.au/television-ratings-saturday-october-26-2019/ . Also heard the England vs New Zealand got over 10 million views in the uk now that's a good rating. Can only imagine what we rated in the uk.

• Confused 1

On 28/10/2019 at 09:39, Themusician_2 said:

Organizers will now think twice next time about hosting a GB tour during union world cup finals. If the UWC semi out rates the GB test (IN AUSTRALIA the home of RL) then you know it was a bad idea https://www.mediaweek.com.au/television-ratings-saturday-october-26-2019/ . Also heard the England vs New Zealand got over 10 million views in the uk now that's a good rating. Can only imagine what we rated in the uk.

Why would a GB v Tonga match get much of a viewership in Australia? Did the ockers even know the match was on, was it promoted at all or in any way close to what the RUWC was broadcast. You do realise that there are English, New Zealand and other nationals within Australia with a more than casual interest in union and it's the semi final of the biggest rugby competition whilst the GB game is a side show, they're not remotely comparable ffs!

21 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Why would a GB v Tonga match get much of a viewership in Australia? Did the ockers even know the match was on, was it promoted at all or in any way close to what the RUWC was broadcast. You do realise that there are English, New Zealand and other nationals within Australia with a more than casual interest in union and it's the semi final of the biggest rugby competition whilst the GB game is a side show, they're not remotely comparable ffs!

Union is seen as a pathetic game in Australia so I think they'd much prefer watching a league game. But you right the game should've been marketed better

• Like 1

On 29/10/2019 at 15:03, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

The GB v Tonga match was shown on 9Gem - a sort of ITV2 type channel. The Union semi was shown on Channel 10, so on one of the main FTA networks. 

An alternative comparison is between the Union WC on the Saturday and the Aus v NZ game on the Friday night which was shown on the main 9 channel. In both Sydney and Brisbane, the RL match outrated the Union game. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

Union is seen as a pathetic game in Australia so I think they'd much prefer watching a league game. But you right the game should've been marketed better

It might be a pathetic game but it still got a lot of viewers though, why is that, I gave you some clues already but you're still ignoring them?