Keighley call time on footy groundshare

Keighley have given North West Counties League football club Steeton six months' notice to quit Cougar Park. As reasons, Cougars cite the cost of staging football matches, the inconvenience of preparing Lawkholme for football and a desire to protect their pitch as they aim for promotion in 2020. Steeton's Cougar Park league crowds this season have ranged from 47 to 103.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/17982853.final-whistle-blown-steetons-cougar-park-groundshare/

9 hours ago, TIWIT said:

You'd think family and friends would account for bigger crowds than that.

Steeton's crowd range - 47-103 - is par for the course in their league. I attended a Steeton evening home game last season, and the woman on the Royd Ings Avenue turnstile told me her son was the player in the programme centrefold.

I wonder if Steeton will now approach Keighley RUFC about a groundshare?

On 22/10/2019 at 20:56, meast said:

I'm going next month with Emley, looking forward to probably my one and only visit for football 

Emley rings a bell, did they have a great cup run in the 90s? No idea why I remember this but fairly sure they played West Ham. Weird how I can remember that but not what someone has told me at work 5 minutes before. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Emley rings a bell, did they have a great cup run in the 90s? No idea why I remember this but fairly sure they played West Ham. Weird how I can remember that but not what someone has told me at work 5 minutes before. 

You remember well! I believe they beat Lincoln (at Huddersfield) then lost 2-1 I think to a West Ham team containing the likes of Rio Ferdinand. I’m sure Meast will confirm ?

That's correct, the original club that moved to Wakefield and folded 5 years ago made it to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and were national headlines for a few weeks, the whole place was besieged by media crews, as it happens we were 7 minutes from taking a star studded West Ham to a replay, but it wasn't to be.

2 of that team were part of this season's management team but one of them resigned last month.

Hopefully more glory days are ahead ?

2 hours ago, meast said:

That's correct, the original club that moved to Wakefield and folded 5 years ago made it to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and were national headlines for a few weeks, the whole place was besieged by media crews, as it happens we were 7 minutes from taking a star studded West Ham to a replay, but it wasn't to be.

2 of that team were part of this season's management team but one of them resigned last month.

Hopefully more glory days are ahead ?

Good days for Emley.

Ian Banks was a cracking player. Glynn Hurst was pretty good too.

They used to have good pies and pasties there when the food at most pro cubs was rubbish, as it is now........

15 hours ago, meast said:

Would it not make sense to share with Silsden who also used cougar park?

You'd think so. But they don't like each other, and I doubt Silsden's pitch would be up to the extra hammer.

Apparently, hiring Keighley RUFC's plastic pitch is too expensive (certainly for non-RU users, who have to pay more).

In the 1990's we used to have a bricklayer called Steve who played for Emley. He had originally moved with his family from London to Huddersfield when he was signed as a teenage apprentice footballer. Unfortunately, they released him and so he had gone semi-pro. Nice lad.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Steeton have a super ground of their own in Steeton along with a very good cricket ground. The cricket team play in the Airedale/Wharfedale league. I think they decided to play at Keighleys ground because they were wanting to move up the soccer pyramid away from the County Amateur League.My grandaughter and her husband live virtually next door to the ground .Her husband plays cricket for Steeton and has done since he was a youngster.They are obviously not short of money either because every year they bring an Aussie. over as their Pro. and they do not come cheap.

11 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Steeton have a super ground of their own in Steeton along with a very good cricket ground. The cricket team play in the Airedale/Wharfedale league. I think they decided to play at Keighleys ground because they were wanting to move up the soccer pyramid away from the County Amateur League.My grandaughter and her husband live virtually next door to the ground .Her husband plays cricket for Steeton and has done since he was a youngster.They are obviously not short of money either because every year they bring an Aussie. over as their Pro. and they do not come cheap.

Calling Summerhill Lane "super" is pushing it a bit! Steeton's ground is a partly railed pitch with a clubhouse at one end. It lacks both cover and floodlights. I'd go with pretty, myself, given the scenic Aire Valley backdrop.

The insurmountable problem with Steeton's ground - and the chief reason they had to negotiate a deal to play at Cougar Park - is the size of the pitch. It's too small for North West Counties League (and other step six leagues) requirements, and because of the proximity of the access track and cricket ground can't be made any bigger. Summerhill Lane will never host anything higher than West Riding County Amateur League football.

Hopping mad,

I did not know it was too small,but I will bow to your superior knowledge, genuinely,not being funny, and yes I realise now there is no cover or floodlights. I actually did not know which league they were playing in now,I am more interested in the cricket side of things.I believe the cricket groundsman there was a player there and also a groundsman for Yorkshire C.C.

I watched the Waddilove Cup Final at Steeton CC a couple of seasons ago. It's a nice set-up.

Interested to see what Steeton's footballers do next. Someone in the know reckons they are exploring exciting possibilities. I'm struggling to think of a ground in the Keighley area (assuming a share with Silsden isn't possible) that's going to meet NWCL requirements. One thing's for sure: Keighley's pitch will be much better!

25 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

I watched the Waddilove Cup Final at Steeton CC a couple of seasons ago. It's a nice set-up.

Interested to see what Steeton's footballers do next. Someone in the know reckons they are exploring exciting possibilities. I'm struggling to think of a ground in the Keighley area (assuming a share with Silsden isn't possible) that's going to meet NWCL requirements. One thing's for sure: Keighley's pitch will be much better!

Could Odsal be considered as being in the Keighley area? ?

Archived