Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SL17

SL have you sorted your VIsas.

If they have criminal records it will be tricky.

It will be interesting to see how many SL team send over weakened squads, they might just right off the away fixture.

• Confused 1

I hope they at least know they don’t need visas and get the ETAs that are required. 

They are easy to apply for online and are required for any Brit traveling to Canada. If the thousands of League 1 and Championship supporters can sort them out, I am sure a few professionals clubs could as well. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Should be a complete non-issue for any professional organisation.

Never mind professional organisation, it should be a non issue for anyone with even a modicum of intelligence....hmmm, maybe that`s why SL17 is struggling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Michael1812 said:

and get the ETAs that are required. 

Are they different to the ESTA's you need to enter America?

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

Yes but a warning if you fly to Toronto via the US even if you don't leave the airport you need an eta and an esta. 

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

Toronto awaits are you all ready to go??(

Wow, what an insightful thread. Can't wait for your threads "Toulouse awaits, keep an eye on those pesky French air traffic controllers" or London awaits "some climate protester may glue themselves to your train" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

i reckon it should be a team visa/ETA.easier for all concearned and it makes it a fair contest.Barrow had one player who got his visa and was turned away at check in.At the moment even the slightest midemeanour  can result in a failed application.its a great city to visit though,and  friendly fans.they had a dj on the decks after the game,1 wolfpack fan asked me "is it like this in  Barrow?"I told him it was ,god knows why! Must have  been that canadian beer.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bomb Jack said:

Are they different to the ESTA's you need to enter America?

Afaik its the same thing different country

19 minutes ago, the mutt said:

i reckon it should be a team visa/ETA.easier for all concearned and it makes it a fair contest.Barrow had one player who got his visa and was turned away at check in.At the moment even the slightest midemeanour  can result in a failed application.its a great city to visit though,and  friendly fans.they had a dj on the decks after the game,1 wolfpack fan asked me "is it like this in  Barrow?"I told him it was ,god knows why! Must have  been that canadian beer.

or.... and i may be speaking out of turn here... people can just respect the immigration laws of another country, not try and change them, and get what they need to sorted in time like every other human being.. why should the Canadian authorities change a perfectly good system that everyone else seems to be able to use just to appease some UK clubs that cannot be *rsed to do the work needed of them.

• Like 2

Not very clued up on Canadian immigration laws but 2 questions can Toronto apply for a Visa which allows opposition players exemptions for some of the rules?

Also is there a scenario in which players might not be allowed even if clubs follow the correct process well in advance? Let's say if someone has an assault charge are they going to be declined no matter what? 

Don't hear of any issues in other sports which operate internationally so I suspect its just RL not being organised. 

7 minutes ago, RSN said:

Not very clued up on Canadian immigration laws but 2 questions can Toronto apply for a Visa which allows opposition players exemptions for some of the rules?

Also is there a scenario in which players might not be allowed even if clubs follow the correct process well in advance? Let's say if someone has an assault charge are they going to be declined no matter what? 

Don't hear of any issues in other sports which operate internationally so I suspect its just RL not being organised. 

No - although they currently direct clubs to an 'immigration expert' (not sure if either they or the UK clubs pay for his help) and I believe the Canadian High Commission try to be as helpful as possible and expedite the more 'complex' applications.

Yes - they aren't going to change their immigration rules.

But they do https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2014176/Joey-Barton-denied-visa-Newcastles-tour-United-States.html

13 minutes ago, RSN said:

Nope, but again most players (UK, AUS, NZ, FR passports) dont need visa, they need to register their ETA like any other traveller, except US and Canadian citizens/residents who just need their passport or some ID'S.

14 minutes ago, RSN said:

Yes even with a visa, the border agent is all mighty and can refuse entry to anyone. And there is usually no appeal.

Someone with an assault charge will be stopped at the ETA process, then will have to apply for a visa at the Canadian High Commission, could still get one though if he has a solid claim, then still has to convince the border agent to let him in.

18 minutes ago, RSN said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38069036

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/18/dwight-yorke-felt-like-criminal-denied-entry-usa

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-europa-league/story/1543563/kosovo-protests-after-player-refused-entry-to-russia

And many  others...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ojx said:

If they have criminal records it will be tricky.

It will be interesting to see how many SL team send over weakened squads, they might just right off the away fixture.

How many players do you reckon have a criminal record in SL? And yes I know it covers relatively minor offences but still.....

I don't have the full list of nationalities in SL, but looking at the Canadian visa list, only Tongan players would need a visa. And since they need one to enter Schengen and/or the UK anyway, they probably know the drill. So they can skip eTA and go straight to the Canadian HC.

55 minutes ago, manu266 said:

I don't have the full list of nationalities in SL, but looking at the Canadian visa list, only Tongan players would need a visa. And since they need one to enter Schengen and/or the UK anyway, they probably know the drill. So they can skip eTA and go straight to the Canadian HC.

I once got stopped on the border coming into Canada from the States from Seattle after a game with a van load of Tongan nationals/ players....they had to produce a thing called a 'Ministers Permit".  Moi Moi was not happy.

And for any visitors thinking to maybe cross the border as part of their trip be aware that the Americans have very different standards than Canada and are far less welcoming. Or forgiving.

13 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I would hope that every SL team have already started the process.

If any team gets caught out then they deserve a red hot poker up the jacksey ... sideways!

No! Cold end first, so they burn their fingers pulling it out. 

Applying for the visa is easy, been a couple of times, they also last more than one year.

Don't players need work visas?

Athletes and staff working for a non-Canadian employer

Due to the fact that many foreign athletes and coaches earn their livelihood through sport, when they come to Canada for sporting events they are effectively working in Canada, technically making them foreign workers. Despite this designation, in the majority of cases, the rules and regulation of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program do not apply in the context of visiting athletes and coaches. To subject these individuals to the rules and procedures usually associated with foreign workers would be overly burdensome and would impede Canada from participating in sporting events/leagues that are international in scope.

Therefore, as long these individuals are a member of a foreign-based team or an individual athlete representing a foreign country, a work permit is generally not required. The same goes for any of the foreign team or athlete’s essential personal and support staff.

• Non-Canadian employers, such as sports teams and governing bodies, who want to bring athletes and/or their staff to Canada may submit the form below.
Name*
Email*
Phone
Company
Please describe your Work Permit Inquiry*

Please describe the nature of work to be performed by the foreign worker in Canada, and also include information about the foreign worker (e.g. qualifications, nationality)

Do you have, or plan on having, a business presence in Canada?
Yes
No
I am not sure

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.