Sign in to follow this  
ShropshireBull

Ideal 14/15 Team Super League (Yet another restructure)

9 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Plenty in the Championship. 

Seasons are over for some early whether there’s P&R or not. It’s that simple. 

So you think after 12 games there are teams in the Championship who’s fans think it’s impossible for them to make the play offs or go down?

Hi Bull.

Few if any want 12 teams and loop fixtures, but it all comes down to money. Expansion without reducing the present SL payout. The next media deal will be crucial in how many teams can be afforded. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

We should cancel relegation from the football league as well, and the Union premiership. Maybe Serie B and the Segunda in spain too. 

just as a point of order on the first 2 (I don't know enough about the second 2).. relegation from the football league to the national league is not a massive jump in terms of payment of players, prize money etc.. its only relatively recently that this has been straight promotion and relegation as well, they used to have to be "elected" in which meant passing criteria, there were quite a few years I remember when the winners of the conference did not get promoted due to the grounds not meeting standards etc. this has just been shifted down some levels now that there is more money in the national league.

Re: Union, they are constantly talking about ring fencing the league, the team relegated tends to come back up the next year after deficit financing for the year to stay pro and basically guarantee their return or, in some cases, goes bust because the income from the league below cannot sustain their expenditure.. its very similar to us and their will be, no doubt, having very similar discussions to ours about this. 

so a comparison to football is a completely different level as the drop off isnt from pro to semi pro, and the comparison to Union doesn't work as they are wrestling with the same issue and have been talking about ring fencing for as long as I can remember. 

2 hours ago, RayCee said:

Hi Bull.

Few if any want 12 teams and loop fixtures, but it all comes down to money. Expansion without reducing the present SL payout. The next media deal will be crucial in how many teams can be afforded. 

Hi Ray, 

Yes this is speculation mixed with realism.  Most people on here think the TV deal will be lowered  (perhaps the record GF figures will help) hence why I would get Toulouse in and give them a 3 year grace along with the other NAmerican team. Realistically,  we need the non UK teams to generate their own deal and having 2 teams from each nation would make it possible.

We would have 11 UK teams whilst still having p and r, giving us a competitive second tier which should and could look for a FTA deal of its own. 

On the p and r, it is statistically undeniable that more casual fans attend when there is something to play for so for me,  p and r is essentially to grow a thriving second tier.

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Very admirable but many wouldn’t, if there was no jeopardy it would be incredibly dull to a lot of people. I’d have better things to do on a thursday (or any) night than watch a load of uninterested players in a meaningless game. 

That's not shown in attendances figures, teams generally have poor attendances in a relegation compared to being safe mid-table.

The games that relegation creates bigger attendances are relatively rare

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

So you think after 12 games there are teams in the Championship who’s fans think it’s impossible for them to make the play offs or go down?

Realistically, yes.

Last season halifax and Swinton were 13points from the playoffs and 10 points from relegation 

My 14 team Super League would look something like this:

• Chongqing, China (population: 30 million)
  • Shanghai, China (pop. 24 million)
  • Beijing, China (pop. 22 million)
  • Istanbul, Turkey (pop. 15 million)
  • Karachi, Pakistan (pop. 15 million)
  • Dhaka, Bangladesh (pop. 14 million)
  • Tokyo, Japan (pop: 13 million)
  • Moscow, Russia (pop. 13 million)
  • Guangzhou, China (pop 13 million)
  • Shenzhen, China (pop. 12 million)
  • Mumbai, India (pop: 12 million)
  • Sao Paulo, Brazil (pop: 12 million)
  • Kinshasa, Congo (pop: 11 million)
  • Tianjin, China (pop: 11 million)

Huge potential for growth, and some cracking derbies in there. I'd have Magic Weekend at Anfield.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I appreciate you're a Bradford fan, but why include them? They are a basket case of a club, have no money, no ground, no assets really, is it because they won things and had big crowds 15-20 years ago?

There's no right minded reason why any made up competition should include Bradford over better run clubs.

1 hour ago, hrtbps said:

Huge potential for growth, and some cracking derbies in there. I'd have Magic Weekend at Anfield.

Too many Chinese teams in there, too many teams one catchment area.

Need a few more teams based along the length of the equator.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Realistically, yes.

Last season halifax and Swinton were 13points from the playoffs and 10 points from relegation 

1/4 of the way through the season Swindon were in real danger of the drop and before they went on their losing run Fax were going for the play offs. 

6 hours ago, hrtbps said:

Some cracking Chinese derbies there!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Realistically, yes.

Rubbish , Fax only dropped out of the push for top 5 after the Challenge Cup quarters , Swinton put in a fantastic late run to get out of the bottom 3 , beating Toulouse in France and unluckily losing by 1 point at the LSV 

So 2 out of 14 ? , you do post ###### at times 

22 hours ago, meast said:

I appreciate you're a Bradford fan, but why include them? They are a basket case of a club, have no money, no ground, no assets really, is it because they won things and had big crowds 15-20 years ago?

There's no right minded reason why any made up competition should include Bradford over better run clubs.

I appreciate you may not have fully read the first post but I am not a fan of Bradford, it is just when I was growing up Bradford were the team so a useful username. Also, I said it was in a world where I won the euromillions and could get Bradford a 12,000 capacity stadium. Even now, I think people would struggle not to believe that if Bradford could get a tidy small stadium in Bradford (think Widnes or Leigh style stadium) they couldn't pull in 8000 as a season average.

I also don't understand the type of person in hrtbps to go on a post they clearly aren't interested in , although the Anfield comment was slightly humorous