when kidwell smashed mason and the shoulder charge

a moment in rl when 2 hard men sent the pulses racing of the entire crowd, mason had disrespected the haka so kidwell went for him with the "big hit" the teams and the spectators were pumped up in to a frenzy at the spectacle providing memorable entertainment to the paying public and bolstering the reputation of international rl as the hardest test on earth, these days we are not allowed to be entertained in such a manner as restraints have been placed on the players not to do this (shoulder charge) - next thing the players will have to shake hands and apologise after every tackle 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

19 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Mason wasn’t a hard man. 

he put himself in the frame to be one, making him a target for opposing forwards.

40 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

a moment in rl when 2 hard men sent the pulses racing of the entire crowd, mason had disrespected the haka so kidwell went for him with the "big hit" the teams and the spectators were pumped up in to a frenzy at the spectacle providing memorable entertainment to the paying public and bolstering the reputation of international rl as the hardest test on earth, these days we are not allowed to be entertained in such a manner as restraints have been placed on the players not to do this (shoulder charge) - next thing the players will have to shake hands and apologise after every tackle 

Whenever ive tried to introduce somebody to rl in the past,this has always been my "go to"clip

not saying bring back the biff and players should be openly punching each other in the face - but if they want to put their own arm at risk by doing this then it should be left up to the players to decide if they want to, don't even know why its called a shoulder charge anyway as its arm against body, any how we cant see things like this anymore so lets be pleasant

9 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

I nearly always try to be respectful about rl players but I have very little time for Mason. At all.

all sports need goodies and baddies from snooker to wrestling its part of the charm

I think this incident is a perfect example of why the shoulder charge had to go. And I say this as somebody who enjoyed these big hits as much as anyone.

But this hit was held up as a great one, but ultimately it was dangerous and Mason ended up with a damaged face because of it, which could have been much worse. 

An awful lot of shoulder charges ended up hitting the player in the face, and they are dangerous. 

But when they were lined up right, they sure were spectacular and entertaining and could turn defence into attack in an instant. I miss them, but I think it is right that they have gone.

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think this incident is a perfect example of why the shoulder charge had to go. And I say this as somebody who enjoyed these big hits as much as anyone.

But this hit was held up as a great one, but ultimately it was dangerous and Mason ended up with a damaged face because of it, which could have been much worse. 

An awful lot of shoulder charges ended up hitting the player in the face, and they are dangerous. 

But when they were lined up right, they sure were spectacular and entertaining and could turn defence into attack in an instant. I miss them, but I think it is right that they have gone.

so ban shoulder charges that hit in the face and punish them accordingly , reward the legitimate ones just like normal tackles

7 minutes ago, Click said:

I don't think banning the shoulder charge means you can't have "moments" like the Mason one. You just have to tackle hard, look at Matai and Taufua. They both hit hard but fair.

is a shoulder charge below the neck not fair? its body to body

29 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

is a shoulder charge below the neck not fair? its body to body

It’s still unnecessary as regular tackles can also be spectacular.

It’s their workplace and I’m happy for it to be made just a little bit safer.

Its a hard one. I was all for the shoulder charge, but then a guy was killed in the QLD cup from one. In saying that not to long a go an Australian batsman was killed by bouncer in cricket and there was no knee jerk reaction to ban bouncers or pace bowlers. Its annoying to see a great hit that gets penalised because a guy bounces off the defender's shoulder before his arm gets to make contact. Most times you do lead with your shoulder in defence after all. Other tackles suffer as well that are not "traditional" shoulder chargers. When a guy is diving for the line for example an a defender comes across and hits him into touch. The rule was never really created to ban those kind of tackles but technically they are shoulder charges. Billy Slater's was a perfect example (though I do think his arm made contact). 

1 hour ago, Click said:

I don't think banning the shoulder charge means you can't have "moments" like the Mason one. You just have to tackle hard, look at Matai and Taufua. They both hit hard but fair.

Yet Mulitalo got suspended for a very similar one this year 

In some ways, I think not leading with the shoulder is more dangerous. It is natural to "brace" yourself for impact by leading with the shoulder. The alternative is approaching front on, which runs the greater risk of a head injury.

But I agree that shoulder charges which make contact with the head should be severely punished.

Archived