when kidwell smashed mason and the shoulder charge

Personally I think all this claptrap about player welfare, no punch-ups, shoulder charges etc has ruined the game. Players know what they are getting into and are well paid for it, it's their choice to play the game, if its too rough go play rah, rah and give us back the proper game.

A legitimate tackle that flattens the ball-carrier just as much as a shoulder-charge is technically harder to execute, so the current rules reward better play and punish just trying to smash people.

And, in a world where even Football is facing up to research about the long-term damage from repeatedly heading the ball, the world is moving ever further away from the "bring back irreversible brain trauma" approach.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Yet ballcarriers can and at times do lead with shoulder . Philbin on a few occasions I’ve seen do this .

The tackler can (and should) have their head out of the way.

Running with the ball and leading with your shoulder is a perfectly normal and legal tactic. Injuries come when tacklers have their head in the wrong place.

I know I’ve commented on the health issues that come with the increasing physical nature of RL (and RU) that needs to be addressed in order to see the turnaround of participation numbers, but there was something great about seeing Willie Mason getting smashed. Remember watching those GB tests and hoping he got hammered. Every story needs a villain, and he was a good one.

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Yet Mulitalo got suspended for a very similar one this year 

Can't say I saw that one - If there was contact with the head, or if it was a shoulder charge, then I can understand why he may of been.

All this talk about villains of the game etc, none of that changes just because you can't shoulder charge the "villain" - If you put in a huge dominate tackle on the 'villain' then IMO it makes it even better. A true dominating tackle can look humilating to a 'hard man' of the game.

33 minutes ago, Click said:

Can't say I saw that one - If there was contact with the head, or if it was a shoulder charge, then I can understand why he may of been.

All this talk about villains of the game etc, none of that changes just because you can't shoulder charge the "villain" - If you put in a huge dominate tackle on the 'villain' then IMO it makes it even better. A true dominating tackle can look humilating to a 'hard man' of the game.

Not with the head or a shoulder charge. A front on collision. See link 

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/league/news/ronaldo-mulitalo-accepts-one-match-ban-for-shoulder-charge-on-luke-brooks/10ynjvjn6wps013rd9j2qnngce

If we are going to outlaw this as well, our game is a poorer spectacle 

34 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Not with the head or a shoulder charge. A front on collision. See link 

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/league/news/ronaldo-mulitalo-accepts-one-match-ban-for-shoulder-charge-on-luke-brooks/10ynjvjn6wps013rd9j2qnngce

If we are going to outlaw this as well, our game is a poorer spectacle 

Can't quite see the full contact that Mulitalo makes - The url stats that he was banned for one match for a shoulder charge - From the small video on the link, it seems like he didn't wrap his arm - Which is a shoulder charge.

He could have easily hit him with just as much force but with sticking his arm out to wrap it around the tackled player at the same time.

Poor tackling technique doesn't make RL better.

Rugby is a tough game no getting away from it. Everyone knows the risk. There will be little difference in a shoulder charge and a conventional big hit. It’s changing for changing sake. Union will ban above the waist tackling before to long.

19 minutes ago, Click said:

Can't quite see the full contact that Mulitalo makes - The url stats that he was banned for one match for a shoulder charge - From the small video on the link, it seems like he didn't wrap his arm - Which is a shoulder charge.

He could have easily hit him with just as much force but with sticking his arm out to wrap it around the tackled player at the same time.

Poor tackling technique doesn't make RL better.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this then, because to me it was clear his arm was around

Archived