Trent Merrin to stay at Leeds

Well if he does stay he needs to prove himself- sick of these NRL big name forwards coming to SL and not performing.

Every SL forward that goes to the NRL smashes it so really do think NRL forwards need to come to SL to prove they are world class......

36 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Well if he does stay he needs to prove himself- sick of these NRL big name forwards coming to SL and not performing.

Every SL forward that goes to the NRL smashes it so really do think NRL forwards need to come to SL to prove they are world class......

A few have done ok from memory.

Most have been past their prime doing what Merrin is doing, most English players plying their trade in Australia have been the pick of the bunch at the top of their game or just starting to make a name for themselves.

Merrin's situation seems to be a case of he signed a long lucrative deal at his stage of his playing career and has some reasons to return to Oz, personal or not liking England or Super League, who knows. but can not get anything like the overs that Leeds pay him in the NRL.

So he is coming back to Leeds, not a great situation for the Club or the Player IMO

A few odd posts on here.

To say Merrin didn’t perform is rubbish he was Leeds’ best player by a mile last year.

He returned home mid season due to a family tragedy but came back at the earliest opportunity and played his socks off in a poor team.

Leeds granted him permission to look for a deal back home on compassionate grounds I think that shows the club and player have a good relationship 

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

A few odd posts on here.

To say Merrin didn’t perform is rubbish he was Leeds’ best player by a mile last year.

He returned home mid season due to a family tragedy but came back at the earliest opportunity and played his socks off in a poor team.

Leeds granted him permission to look for a deal back home on compassionate grounds I think that shows the club and player have a good relationship 

I do not understand why he returned to Australia because of tragedy than came back and played well but then wanted to return to Australia permanently but decided to come back anyway.

I am not privy to his circumstances or problems.

Good luck to him, he would be an obvious standout in the current team at Leeds.

From Australian media

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/23/merrin-gives-up-nrl-return-amid-player-market-stalemate/

Former NSW and Test forward Trent Merrin has told Leeds he will return to the UK, scuppering the prospect of an NRL comeback in 2020 for now.

Merrin was given permission by the Rhinos to explore his options in Australia last month on compassionate grounds and met with Newcastle and St George Illawarra in that time.

However, it's understood neither club was able to table a deal anywhere near the lucrative, four-year contract Leeds signed Merrin on when he left Penrith at the end of 2018.

3 hours ago, Gibbo said:

I do not understand why he returned to Australia because of tragedy than came back and played well but then wanted to return to Australia permanently but decided to come back anyway.

I am not privy to his circumstances or problems.

Good luck to him, he would be an obvious standout in the current team at Leeds.

From Australian media

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/23/merrin-gives-up-nrl-return-amid-player-market-stalemate/

Former NSW and Test forward Trent Merrin has told Leeds he will return to the UK, scuppering the prospect of an NRL comeback in 2020 for now.

Merrin was given permission by the Rhinos to explore his options in Australia last month on compassionate grounds and met with Newcastle and St George Illawarra in that time.

However, it's understood neither club was able to table a deal anywhere near the lucrative, four-year contract Leeds signed Merrin on when he left Penrith at the end of 2018.

A lot of people are aware of the personal circumstances that led to a turbulent first season for him off the field - 2 of the worst kind of tragedies. If you're not aware then fair enough but I would say all who do completely understand why this was all handled as delicately as it was. I'm under no elusion that could he have got the right deal in the NRL then that's where he'd be playing but it wasn't to be, but it still says a lot about him and his partner that they're committed to returning. 

7 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Trent Merrin doesn’t fit this category, he was Leeds best forward last season and at times having to carry our whole pack. I’ve only ever seen him give 100%

I believe he was looking to move back to the NRL after a family bereavement, not sure anyone can hold that against him. 

Archived