BBC 1 or BBC 2

Does it matter which channel rugby is on ? Or on sky when rugby is just on action or arena not main event? 
despite GB v New Zealand being broadcast at 3.30am! Next week It still didn’t make it to BBC 1..

I can’t believe people who don’t see that more viewers means a higher profile, more rugby on tv in the future and more ££££ through sponsorship or am I just being picky..

f3gms4.jpg

There's certainly an argument that Sky / Murdoch has caused more harm than good to the sport by taking it away from terrestrial viewers.

There's been a lot written about how the sport of cricket has been similarly damaged: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/jun/11/cricket-world-cup-televised-coverage

7 minutes ago, hrtbps said:

There's certainly an argument that Sky / Murdoch has caused more harm than good to the sport by taking it away from terrestrial viewers.

There's been a lot written about how the sport of cricket has been similarly damaged: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/jun/11/cricket-world-cup-televised-coverage

Interesting figures: the writer claims 6.1m watched (on the BBC) every women's football World Cup match yet only 500,000 took in (on Sky) each cricket World Cup game. Average figures, I assume.

As a confirmed non-subscriber to Sky (or any other similar provider bar Netflix), I'm grateful rugby league survives on the BBC, whatever channel, whatever hour of day or night.

1 hour ago, hrtbps said:

there may well be an argument, but not a very convincing one, in my view.  The BBC or any other FTA broadcaster could not/would not have put anything like the money into game that Sky has done. In addition, I think it is true to say that, given the way that league  fans seem careful with their money when it comes to travelling to games and buying match-day tickets,  having games on FRA games actually reduces attendances. 

7 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Given the kick off time, I'd rather concentrate on the positive that the early-afternoon highlights are being screened on BBC One.

Yes, the highlights have a good slot, but there is no doubt that tomorrow's game at 8am on BBC1 would have done better than it will on two.

I don’t think the BBC1/BBC2 difference matters much personally, as long as it’s on. That’s why I didn’t understand why the Saints v Halifax semi was on second, just because they wanted the lesser game on BBC2, when from a crowd point of view it would have been better the other way around. 

If that Grand Final figure from a couple of weeks ago has confirmed one thing, it is that scheduling and channel is very very important.

But expect us to keep staging international games on Friday nights in the Southern Hemisphere and Sundays in the Northern Hemisphere, therefore ruling out one key live market.

We have known that another key event was on this weekend for quite a while. We could have avoided a clash very easily.

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If that Grand Final figure from a couple of weeks ago has confirmed one thing, it is that scheduling and channel is very very important.

But expect us to keep staging international games on Friday nights in the Southern Hemisphere and Sundays in the Northern Hemisphere, therefore ruling out one key live market.

We have known that another key event was on this weekend for quite a while. We could have avoided a clash very easily.

It was ridiculous scheduling. NZ-based Tongan fans love their RL but many are NZ nationals and will be interested in the All Blacks game.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yes, the highlights have a good slot, but there is no doubt that tomorrow's game at 8am on BBC1 would have done better than it will on two.

In the case of this tour, with coverage starting in the early mornings, I doubt it'll make much difference. If the live coverage was afternoon/evening (UK time), then the channel would matter*. These live matches are for those who'll seek them out anyway. The casual viewer will stumble across the highlights, which the BBC do very well these days.

With afternoon starting times, these would almost certainly be on BBC1 anyway, as they are all Saturday matches. They put sport on BBC2 on Sundays, just like Grandstand and Sunday Grandstand were broadcast on 1 and 2 respectively.

*I've never understood this, but it does have an effect.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There was a key event last weekend when 4 Union World Cup quarter finals were taking place.

And there is a key event next weekend with the 3rd place play off then the World Cup final.

Were we supposed to finish our season and then wait 3 or 4 weeks for that tournament to finish before we crack on with our tests? Particularly as you also don't want tests on a Friday night down under and the Saturday and Sunday games were clashing.

If we had decided to avoid the Union World cup period for our internationals, we would have had no tests at all this year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There was a key event last weekend when 4 Union World Cup quarter finals were taking place.

And there is a key event next weekend with the 3rd place play off then the World Cup final.

Were we supposed to finish our season and then wait 3 or 4 weeks for that tournament to finish before we crack on with our tests? Particularly as you also don't want tests on a Friday night down under and the Saturday and Sunday games were clashing.

If we had decided to avoid the Union World cup period for our internationals, we would have had no tests at all this year.

I'm not sure we should be playing at exactly the same time. 

We are kicking off at 8pm local time, they kick off 1hr later, meaning a direct clash.

That's pretty basic stuff. The jigsaw isnt that difficult.

15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

In the case of this tour, with coverage starting in the early mornings, I doubt it'll make much difference. If the live coverage was afternoon/evening (UK time), then the channel would matter*. These live matches are for those who'll seek them out anyway. The casual viewer will stumble across the highlights, which the BBC do very well these days.

With afternoon starting times, these would almost certainly be on BBC1 anyway, as they are all Saturday matches. They put sport on BBC2 on Sundays, just like Grandstand and Sunday Grandstand were broadcast on 1 and 2 respectively.

*I've never understood this, but it does have an effect.

I agree about the 3.30am coverage, but not the 8am game tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I agree about the 3.30am coverage, but not the 8am game tomorrow.

The casual, uncommitted TV viewer will not be thinking about watching sport 'til late morning/early afternoon, which is when sport usually starts on the Beeb. They'll most likely be in bed, wondering whether to get up and have a cup of coffee, or loaf around for another hour or so. If the RL wasn't on, that's what I'd be doing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

The casual, uncommitted TV viewer will not be thinking about watching sport 'til late morning/early afternoon, which is when sport usually starts on the Beeb. They'll most likely be in bed, wondering whether to get up and have a cup of coffee, or loaf around for another hour or so. If the RL wasn't on, that's what I'd be doing.

Aye, but it is the passing traffic you miss out on. BBC One still gets most viewers in this country, and when people wake up and stick the tv on often it will be BBC One.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye, but it is the passing traffic you miss out on. BBC One still gets most viewers in this country, and when people wake up and stick the tv on often it will be BBC One.

Maybe, but if they miss that, and not everyone appreciates bone-shattering impacts with their toast'n'marmalade, the highlights are on BBC1 at the prime sports TV time of 1:15pm and the programme runs for over an hour. That's the broadcast that more of the potential British audience will see, regardless of channel, just because of the time difference.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Maybe, but if they miss that, and not everyone appreciates bone-shattering impacts with their toast'n'marmalade, the highlights are on BBC1 at the prime sports TV time of 1:15pm and runs for over an hour. That's the broadcast that more of the potential British audience will see, regardless of channel, just because of the time difference.

Dont get me wrong, the BBC are a very welcome partner and even BBC2 is a great platform, but if the question is does channel make a difference, the answer is yes.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Dont get me wrong, the BBC are a very welcome partner and even BBC2 is a great platform, but if the question is does channel make a difference, the answer is yes.

I agreed with you that it made a difference, but I think it is far less so when it comes to early mornings. I'll save any rancour for England/GB's next home series if those prime-time matches get shunted about for no excusable reason. On the other hand, if the RLIF/IRL schedule tests on a Sunday, then they can expect to be shown on BBC2. That's the way the Beeb do things.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

I agreed with you that it made a difference, but I think it is far less so when it comes to early mornings. I'll save any rancour for England/GB's next home series if those prime-time matches get shunted about for no excusable reason.

The World Cup will be the interesting one from a scheduling point of view. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The World Cup will be the interesting one from a scheduling point of view. 

On the other hand, their commitment to show every single match of the 2021 RWC earns them a fair load of credit. The full draw and fixtures are just over a month away, apparently. When we see which matches are on when, we'll be able to make a few educated guesses about what will be shown on BBC1, BBC2 or the red button.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

On the other hand, their commitment to show every single match of the 2021 RWC earns them a fair load of credit. The full draw and fixtures are just over a month away, apparently. When we see which matches are on when, we'll be able to make a few educated guesses about what will be shown on BBC1, BBC2 or the red button.

Absolutely, and isnt there a commitment of 15 on tv, or something like that? 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Absolutely, and isnt there a commitment of 15 on tv, or something like that? 

16 games on BBC1 or BBC2, with the remaining 15 on the red button.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

I would agree if it was an afternoon game - and that would be multiplied for an afternoon/evening Sky Sports Main Event game - but at that time on a Saturday morning I don’t think there’s much of a casual viewership to drawn upon. 

Archived