Sign in to follow this  
scotchy1

Valencia

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/valencia-set-stage-grand-final-20721898

Looking to stage a double header and move towards L1 in 2021

People tell me a big city league is impossible. 

New York, Ottawa, Toronto, Toulouse, Leeds, london, Hull, Manchester, Valencia, Amsterdam. 

Yeah, but something something away fans something something....

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Yeah, but something something away fans something something....

Funnily enough from the sound of it , the guy looking to do this is hoping ' away ' fans will be the ones who pay for it ? 

If something like this could happen , given his suggested 50% Spanish squad , I doubt you'd find anybody against it 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Hmmm. Will fans travel to Valencia in January for a friendly?  

Some will 

Always thought that a Championship 7/9s in northern Spain including some of the Elite 1 clubs could have been an interesting idea in mid Jan 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Some will 

Always thought that a Championship 7/9s in northern Spain including some of the Elite 1 clubs could have been an interesting idea in mid Jan 

Northern spain isnt that warm in Jan. It would be perfect for a 9s comp mid-season though

El Molinon in Gijon is a nice stadium, 30k, right in the city centre, surrounded by bars and restaurants, 10mins walk from the beach. For a pass in/pass out event like 9s or magic it would be perfect.  

Getting there isnt the easiest but if a Jet2 or Ryanair were setting up a route, a comp like that would be ideal 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Northern spain isnt that warm in Jan. It would be perfect for a 9s comp mid-season though

El Molinon in Gijon is a nice stadium, 30k, right in the city centre, surrounded by bars and restaurants, 10mins walk from the beach. For a pass in/pass out event like 9s or magic it would be perfect.  

Getting there isnt the easiest but if a Jet2 or Ryanair were setting up a route, a comp like that would be ideal 

Oh I don't know , last time I was in LLoret in Jan I spotted a fellow Leigh fan wearing a sombrero,Trainers and a thong walking down the main Street 

Mid season won't work 

• Haha 1

This could just work, obviously the money at the back of it will be important and no doubt the usual naysayers will drag out their well worn point's of view but distance, and weather can be excluded, and as the guy says cost of travel isn't prohibitive but persuading enough locals to support it may be a problem, the idea that expats are thirsting to watch RL is a little fanciful.

Overall I would think it's a idea worth persuing far more than some of the suggested places mentioned in this country, it's attraction as a boozy weekend away in the sun will certainly appeal to a lot of RLs audience and others🍻🍻🍻🎉🎉☀️☀️☀️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Oh I don't know , last time I was in LLoret in Jan I spotted a fellow Leigh fan wearing a sombrero,Trainers and a thong walking down the main Street 

Mid season won't work 

It could easily replace the summer bash.

mid-season would work fine. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Nothing wrong with healthy scepticism, Scotchio. We can't all be fantasists on here 😉 

Well eventually your relentless negativity will be proven right eventually, but that doesnt seem to be a happy way to go through life. 

• Like 1

Isn't it interesting that RL seems to be sprouting all over the place? Keep 'em coming. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/valencia-set-stage-grand-final-20721898

Looking to stage a double header and move towards L1 in 2021

People tell me a big city league is impossible. 

New York, Ottawa, Toronto, Toulouse, Leeds, london, Hull, Manchester, Valencia, Amsterdam. 

The highlighted teams exist, the others don't. A big city league of 5 is not very exciting.

• Like 2

Just now, Private Baldrick said:

The highlighted teams exist, the others don't. A big city league of 5 is not very exciting.

If thats what you have to tell yourself to feel better, then thats ok. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Private Baldrick said:

Just stating facts.

If thats what you need to cling on to. If you want to ignore everything else that is happening because its too difficult to accept. Thats your prerogative. 

• Haha 1

Just now, scotchy1 said:

well eventually your relentless negativity will be proven right eventually, but that doesnt seem to be a happy way to go through life. 

Its patently obvious their not happy people.

Imagine being a ''newcomer'' from say Toronto and encountering Parky half way up Wembley Way.

You'd probably turn around and run in the opposite direction, never to be seen again.

No wonder the game has trouble expanding out of the m62 corridor.

These bu.....gers are just plain unpleasant. They don't want newcomers, anywhere near them, that's quite clear.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

If thats what you need to cling on to. If you want to ignore everything else that is happening because its too difficult to accept. Thats your prerogative. 

I don't need to cling on to a fantasy vision of a big city league. If you want to base yourself in a fantasy land that is your prerogative. 

Now, if ALL of those teams existed I would be more than happy to play your little game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

Its patently obvious their not happy people.

Imagine being a ''newcomer'' from say Toronto and encountering Parky half way up Wembley Way.

You'd probably turn around and run in the opposite direction, never to be seen again.

No wonder the game has trouble expanding out of the m62 corridor.

These bu.....gers are just plain unpleasant. They don't want newcomers, anywhere near them, that's quite clear.

It is beyond me, why any RL fan, would be anything but excited by these developments. 

Its someone else, spending their money, to grow our game. 

But somehow, this isnt a great thing or something to be get the blood pumping, its a race to be the most cynical. As if there is some prize for declaring an expansion club a failure first, or that they have provided some great, cutting insight by guessing it wont work first. 

But meh, the only people missing out because of that attitude is them. Next year i get to go see my club in Toronto!

• Like 4