Super League Champions by 2030

Super League champions by 2030 is the headline target set by Newcastle Thunder on Friday afternoon, as the club unveiled an ambitious roadmap for the continued growth of the sport within the North East. 

Taking place two years out from the opening weekend of the 2021 Rugby League World Cup, which will kick off with a spectacular opening ceremony, England’s opening game of the tournament and a further match at Kingston Park Stadium,    

Hosted at Newcastle Eagles impressive Community Arena, club chairman Mick Hogan addressed an audience of over 100 members of the region’s business, political and rugby league community to outline the strategy that will guide all efforts over the next decade.

With the Dacia Magic Weekend returning to the city for two years from May 2020, and a total of five games in the men’s Rugby League World Cup taking place in the North East in 2021, the hosting of major events will form a talismanic cornerstone for the strategy.

Bringing world-class action with the biggest names and prizes in the game on show, Newcastle’s hosting of games of this magnitude will allow rugby league to engage with an audience renowned for its appreciation of sport and create a whole new generation of fans. 

With rising gates at Kingston Park Stadium for Thunder home games, increased participation levels at grassroots clubs across the region and the Newcastle Rugby Foundation being named Championship and League 1 Foundation of the Year for a second time in three years, the continued development in these key areas will build on those high profile events.

Announced at the event was an increased investment and commitment to develop the community game, the Thunder Community Project will shortly see a brand new member of staff join the team and work in developing the game in Teesside and the south of the region, home to one of the great success stories of recent years, Yarm Wolves.

As well as this work, details of plans to establish women’s and wheelchair teams were also unveiled, with a showcase match of the latter taking place as part of the event.

Bringing these two strands together is Newcastle Thunder itself, with the focus on establishing the team as a vibrant club that provides an outlet for the North East’s rugby league family to come together.

After a hugely successful 2019 which saw the team make the end of season play-off final and finish the year with the most points scored across the campaign, the focus remains on gradual evolution and making positive steps in a sustainable and responsible way.

With Simon Finnigan confirmed as head coach for 2020 key signings and retentions for the upcoming season will see the solid foundations of the last year built upon and maintain the upward trajectory that will enable Thunder to be crowned Super League champions by 2030.  

Following the event, Hogan said: “It is an exciting time for rugby league in the North East and with growing participation numbers, a new club in Newcastle Magpies and our wheelchair rugby league team.

“With the sport continuing to grow in the region, we have developed taken the opportunity to give the Thunder and the legacy work around the 2021 World Cup a clear purpose and we will be providing more details on that in the near future.“

85EE83F3-F18E-457D-9F78-9942C03488D1.jpeg

A8F237BE-D8EF-4F78-8046-59C7894E9C36.jpeg

6C545714-AA1D-4000-9C79-79F3EB78DB3E.jpeg

5B97804B-65B3-4128-A5D9-7E73B942AC38.jpeg

A415F55C-202C-4675-A263-14394F33758E.jpeg

And how much impact has it made on the general public in the last 20 years. The only players that such people are likley to know all come from before Super League, the game has gone backwards in the last 20 years.

5 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

And how much impact has it made on the general public in the last 20 years. The only players that such people are likley to know all come from before Super League, the game has gone backwards in the last 20 years.

Do us a favour and keep this thread a positive one. 

you can post your negative stuff on another thread 

19 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Why do so many RL fans live wallowing in self pity and misery? The OP’s article is fantastic. 

Good luck to Gateshead/Newcastle or whatever they call themselves at present, it's the game itself that have concerns about, maybe it's because anyone who has followed or involved with it for many years has seen so many lost opportunities, stuff ups and  promised new beginnings fail that it is hard to be enthused when the latest set of clowns running it parade in the Kings new clothes?

39 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Good luck to Gateshead/Newcastle or whatever they call themselves at present, it's the game itself that have concerns about, maybe it's because anyone who has followed or involved with it for many years has seen so many lost opportunities, stuff ups and  promised new beginnings fail that it is hard to be enthused when the latest set of clowns running it parade in the Kings new clothes?

Some live in the past, some look to the future 

we wake up every day feeling positive about the game and how it’s growing. 

when ever we get to the top it will be built upon solid foundations and a thriving community game. 

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Sorry but I think you have proved yourself to be the only clown on here.

I can't think of anything else other than to congratulate them on their initiatives and wish them the very best.

2 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Sorry but I think you have proved yourself to be the only clown on here.

I can't think of anything else other than to congratulate them on their initiatives and wish them the very best.

????????

8 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Do you see a lot of crossover with rugby union players at youth level? Or are you in competition with them to an extent?

From my experience, there is a lot of crossover with rugby union players at youth level in the NE, both my sons started off playing league but currently play both. My eldest son was playing u14s this past season and off the top of my head I can only think of one of his team mates who is not playing union over the winter. Then there is a team like Yarm who essential all play union for the same team as well so play together year round and it really shows.

8 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

It's great to read this level of ambition and your community-based approach. I do have a few questions though, more out of curiosity than anything. 

I saw about your SPARC festival and found it a really interesting idea. Do you have any plans to try other unconventional things? I'm thinking for instance weight-graded rugby.

Do you see a lot of crossover with rugby union players at youth level? Or are you in competition with them to an extent?

I've seen Newcastle players I think in the England u16s and u18s teams recently, is this a relatively new phenomenon? Have they started to feed through to the first team yet?

Thanks in advance!

For our SPARC festivals and development programme days we have split players up a number of different ways do give everyone the best possible challenges, for example we have split it up using hight, weight, speed, positions. 

from our point of view there is no competition with union and we actively promote playing both codes of rugby. Kids are now starting to play rugby league from 6 year old and it’s getting bigger year on year. 

our academy is in a very strong place and that’s reflected in the England academy call ups. And from last years academy 5 have been handed first team contracts for 2020 

happy to answer any questions, keen them coming 

Archived