What Do You Do With A Problem Like Hodgson?

Scubby

8 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Hodgson suits the Raider's style which is constructed around him, for GB it doesn't fit. It happens, pick Clarke who has some pace something lacking throughout the team.

Well it’s obvious then , the way to solve the problem of Hodgson is to make Ricky Stuart coach 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bennett doesnt have a clue who his England/GB spine is. He must have had half a dozen combinations now at least.  

But he doesnt seem to care as he just wants Hodgson playing both acting half and first receiver, and the forwards will do the rest. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Bennett doesnt have a clue who his England/GB spine is. He must have had half a dozen combinations now at least.  

But he doesnt seem to care as he just wants Hodgson playing both acting half and first receiver, and the forwards will do the rest. 

But isn’t that one of the pitfalls of a) International Rugby and b) International Rugby when fixtures are few and far between. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Mmm it is a bit odd that he’s doing some of the bread n butter stuff our halves should be doing , particularly when we pick Widdop and Hastings to do the job . I think when Roby plays he doesn’t tread on the halves toes , he compliments them .

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The trouble with that approach is the competition have forwards every bit as good. You need more than just that at international level.

7 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

But isn’t that one of the pitfalls of a) International Rugby and b) International Rugby when fixtures are few and far between. 

It is an issue.

But look at the game at Anfield last year. From that game, where England played some outstanding stuff, he has dropped Lomax, Connor, Tomkins, William's and Clarke. These all had great seasons at their clubs and did well for England last year. 

There is not a cat in hells chance that his favourites would be messed about like these players.

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is an issue.

But look at the game at Anfield last year. From that game, where England played some outstanding stuff, he has dropped Lomax, Connor, Tomkins, William's and Clarke. These all had great seasons at their clubs and did well for England last year. 

There is not a cat in hells chance that his favourites would be messed about like these players.

The NRL centric attitude when it comes to selection is certainly an issue. I really doubt how much Super League a busy man like Bennett would watch. His past comments certainly show that he doesn't watch too much.

At international level I think he tries too hard. In Canberra he clearly knows his role and does what he is told, at international level he's recognised as one of the top 5 hookers in the game so it's built around him. He's a player much better told what to do rather than thinking what he should do. 

Can't understand why Clark wasn't on the bench today though. 

Hodgson is indeed a real problem, I can’t believe nobody else mentions how bad his first up defence is when he gets bumped off every time. He rarely takes a right option in attack and if he does one thing good people praise him. For me and I’ve said it for a long time, Hodgson is the most over rated player in RL.

Bennett is an even bigger problem though, the balance of the squad is just poor and it will be even worse now with the injuries picked up last night. The only player with a bit of pace is Gildart and he’s out.

In addition to the squad selected, he seems petrified to let James Graham & Chris Hill go when it is clear they offer absolutely nothing going forward.

I honestly can’t see them winning a game on tour.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I thought he was one of England’s best. England (plus Coote) problem was that they didn’t do the little 1 percenters and non existent game management from the halves. Also we had almost zero support play - the amount of times players went up and had no support - so it was easy for the defence to line up and suffocate and there was very little second phase footy to break open the Tongans

Are you taking the proverbial or just over indulged on spice?

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

In answer to the question, drop him—— Like most of the posters, I’ve watched a fair bit of him on Sky. To me, he seems really slow at the PTB and try as I might, I really can’t see why the Aussies rave about him . I thought he was a decent player at HKR but not in the same class as Roby or most definitely Daz Clarke. Bennett seems to think that he is some kind of ball handling genius to the extent that even with an interchange hooker, he’d leave him on as a 13 . 

9 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

I can’t believe nobody else mentions how bad his first up defence is when he gets bumped off every time

I agree. He works hard in defence but his first contact is not always effective.  I have pointed out earlier in the thread that he has the most missed tackles per match of any hooker in the NRL.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Two points. 

I would say it is the opposite of narrow minded (I would say that!) as I am balancing the good parts of his game, of which there is many, with the bad parts.  Hodgson is very talented but it is his discipline, both errors and penalties, that let him down and stop him being genuinely world class in my opinion.  Funnily enough that was not the problem today as it was the stuff he is usually good at (ruck control, kicking) that let him down today.

Secondly, yes he may be in a position where he is liable to miss tackles but seeing as though I was comparing his stats to other hookers in the NRL that is moot as it is a like for like comparison. 

Certainly agree on kicking.  I rewatched the game and with a few decent bounces he could have put real pressure on the opposition, but those werent to be.  Overall I thought he played ok, he just didnt have the go forward to rely on that he's had at Canberra. 

What Do You Do With A Problem Like Hodgson?

Drop him or tell him what is role is and if he can not play to it drop him.

He must be the fastest Hooker in the game, I thought Damien Cook was swift ?

His speed in defense is something else... He is up on the attacker in a blink of the eye.

I don't know how he gets away with it in the NRL and Test matches.

Ultimately the 'problem' with Hodgson is more a problem with Bennett. Hodgson is doing what he is asked, and tbh he should stick to controlling the ptb and playing the more traditional hooker role, leaving the halves. Too many times we had Widdopp at ahb and Hodgson at first receiver. It is all too slow and pedestrian when we do that.

Hodgson is a very good player and plenty didnt come off yesterday, but he is being asked to do too much and just getting in the way. 

I make the point again that Bennett is very quick to drop Lomax and Connor despite them putting in displays last year for England that many others either havent ever delivered or are not capable of. Certain players are given benefit of the doubt, SL players are tossed aside.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ultimately the 'problem' with Hodgson is more a problem with Bennett. Hodgson is doing what he is asked, and tbh he should stick to controlling the ptb and playing the more traditional hooker role, leaving the halves. Too many times we had Widdopp at ahb and Hodgson at first receiver. It is all too slow and pedestrian when we do that.

Hodgson is a very good player and plenty didnt come off yesterday, but he is being asked to do too much and just getting in the way. 

I make the point again that Bennett is very quick to drop Lomax and Connor despite them putting in displays last year for England that many others either havent ever delivered or are not capable of. Certain players are given benefit of the doubt, SL players are tossed aside.

England / GB would be better off with a local Coach IMO.

Bennett has  done what he can, time to move on from a Coach based on the other side of the world not seeing the players week to week.

The biggest problem with Hodgson today was Bennett for sdone reason didn't have someone to replace him on the bench. Hodgson is good in a dominant side, he has good work rate and keeps things fairly simple, but does most of it pretty slowly which doesn't help a struggling pack. That's when you need to bring in a Roby or Clarke to change the dynamic, run from acting half and exploit a slow ruck defence. It was a bizarre decision by Bennett the super dooper coach. 

Ah dammit, I've agreed with Dave T.... Ha ha... 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Send him back to Canberra for a rest after a great season with the Raiders.

Can’t abide his cumbersome selfishness. The game is about halfbacks, not hookers.

Agree, I have enjoyed his performances for Canberra but he is not a fit for the national side. Canberra have no half backs so he runs the team. GB/England just need quick ball from a hooker and a threat from dummy half.

The whole GB side just has a lack of pace, and they play that way... In particular with Hodgson around the rucks and with Graham at 13. Everything trundles through at medium pace. Lomax sped things up a little out wide today, and when Clarke came on there was a definite lift in speed/intensity in the middle too. They should stick with Clarke, and bring George Williams in either the halves or off the bench. 

15 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

The whole GB side just has a lack of pace, and they play that way... In particular with Hodgson around the rucks and with Graham at 13. Everything trundles through at medium pace. Lomax sped things up a little out wide today, and when Clarke came on there was a definite lift in speed/intensity in the middle too. They should stick with Clarke, and bring George Williams in either the halves or off the bench. 

Steady on! Back in '82 (ask your dad) we said that there was no point trying to beat the Aussies with pace, we needed to slow the game down and use our superior skills. It worked a treat, something that Bennett has clearly remembered from that series.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived