Scotland - All in or All out?

Less than 300 watching a qualifier in Glasgow. Is there the interest? Have we done enough? How many questions can I ask? I believe their league is about 10 teams if that. We see what were once alien areas to the sport having a good amateur set up now (London and Newcastle), but should we invest more time and effort or sadly pull out of any more investment?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Isn’t 300 a good crowd for a totally alien sport that’s barely played and not invested in at a Police Ground on a Friday/Saturday night? 

Not at all. They should have built on the world cup success against NZ at Workington and kicked on

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

In that case maybe it shouldn't have been at Workington ?

Then I’d have missed two of the best days of rugby I’ve been to . They were awesome occasions . 15,000 watched those and plenty round us from Scotland . Shame it’s fell off a cliff since then , those fans loved it 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Then I’d have missed two of the best days of rugby I’ve been to . They were awesome occasions . 15,000 watched those and plenty round us from Scotland . Shame it’s fell off a cliff since then , those fans loved it 

Obviously not enough 

The real lack of interest is from the  sports management. If you don't invest significant time and money nothing will happen. You reap what you sow.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I'd be happy if we applied genuine minimum standards, as there is a very good chance they will be in the World Cup again despite this 300 crowd.

But I am not surprised about the crowd. This is the lowest key international they have staged in the decade I have been following them up here.

A couple of half decent crowds in Galashiels have just been wasted.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Isn’t 300 a good crowd for a totally alien sport that’s barely played and not invested in at a Police Ground on a Friday/Saturday night? 

Totally alien? They've been in 4 WCs, been on BBC and drew with NZ, which was big news. Even with all that nothing has come from it. 

2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

The bottom line is are the Scottish public even interested in RL? 

Good question. Soccer and Rugby Union seem to be the games that the Scots have bought into. There not even good at Union judging by the world cup results. 

36 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Totally alien? They've been in 4 WCs, been on BBC and drew with NZ, which was big news. Even with all that nothing has come from it. 

There’s about ten clubs in the whole country, the last WC saw, IIRC, no games held in Scotland and possibly their best result ever took place in Cumbria, England. It’s alien. 

Why not get something different and play an international up North, rather than in the major lowland cities? How about playing a match in Inverness or Aberdeen? Perhaps the highlanders will be more receptive

i also never understood why when a Scotland played Australia in the 4Nations in 2016 they didn’t play it at Easter Road. They could have capitalised on the loads of Aussies in Edinburgh.

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

There’s about ten clubs in the whole country, the last WC saw, IIRC, no games held in Scotland and possibly their best result ever took place in Cumbria, England. It’s alien. 

Because there's never been anything "Scottish" about it. They should start from the bottom and develop their way up. It's unfair seeing them in WCs all the time thanks to heritage players when they do zero development. And you can't say they haven't had chances. 

5 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

no we can get 1500+ at partick

When has that ever happened before?

2 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Because there's never been anything "Scottish" about it. They should start from the bottom and develop their way up. It's unfair seeing them in WCs all the time thanks to heritage players when they do zero development. And you can't say they haven't had chances. 

That requires money, which there is not a lot of. It’s all well and good saying what could happen but it’s easier said than done. 

Archived