TRL Helpdesk: classical opera music

I’ve always liked concert orchestra type classical music but haven’t gotten into vocal stuff.  On holiday, we went to see these chaps:

And it was bloody fantastic.  Front row seats and them belting out songs louder than I thought possible and in a quality I couldn’t quite believe.  I still have the songs rattling round in my head today from when we went on the 16th.

So, TRL Helpdesk: go on then, give me some others that I may enjoy, especially albums or songs I can download to test my car’s volume levels with.  I especially have Con Te Partiro battering around my head and that’s a must if you can recommend a good artist.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what you are looking for.

This is the acist 

I am also big fan of Gregorian Chants, great for calming you down when stuck on a motorway.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Cav'n'Pag, aka Mascagni's 'Cavaliera Rusticana' and Ruggiero's 'Pagliacci' are a rightly popular double bill of one-act operas. 

If you want something a little different, my dad's music festival did a great double bill of 'Susanna's Secret' by Wolf-Ferrari (cool name), which is a comic opera about smoking. Some lovely melodies in this, as well as the humour.

This was paired with 'Mozart and Salieri' by Rimsky-Korsakov, which is more serious and ends with an offstage choir singing the opening to Mozart's Requiem. Really effective and haunting, as the composer lies dying on stage.

Then there's always 'Hansel und Gretel' by Engelbert Humperdinck (not the Seventies crooner), whose overture is a stunner.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

The Pearl Fishers Duet - my mums favourite.

And pretty much the only memorable aria in the whole 'Pearl Fishers' opera, just like Delibes' Flower Duet from 'Lakmé'.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

And, although it is considered a subset of mainstream opera, don't neglect Gilbert & Sullivan. Some brilliant writing, both words and music.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

La Wally

Terrible name, to English ears. Mind you, they parleyed the search for a bootleg tape of it up into a whole movie.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, ckn said:

I’ve always liked concert orchestra type classical music but haven’t gotten into vocal stuff.  On holiday, we went to see these chaps:

And it was bloody fantastic.  Front row seats and them belting out songs louder than I thought possible and in a quality I couldn’t quite believe.  I still have the songs rattling round in my head today from when we went on the 16th.

So, TRL Helpdesk: go on then, give me some others that I may enjoy, especially albums or songs I can download to test my car’s volume levels with.  I especially have Con Te Partiro battering around my head and that’s a must if you can recommend a good artist.

Me and the missus watch the touring operas as much as we can. Usual assortment of Verdi or Pucconi classics. Always great fun. To see less well known stuff we watch live screenings 

Oxford always loads of classical nights we enjoy, Wintereisse by Schubert was great in the summer

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Got it on my to do list to visit Bayreuth and do the full cycle.... 

Listen to Wagner fairly regularly. Sometimes hard to square with his questionable beliefs 

Years ago, there was a full performance of the Ring Cycle in Leeds, and my parents bought tickets for all four parts. They saw the first three... then our house got snowed in and they missed 'Gotterdammerung'.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

By the way, if you find the plot of 'The Ring' hard to follow, here's a guide. :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Years ago, there was a full performance of the Ring Cycle in Leeds, and my parents bought tickets for all four parts. They saw the first three... then our house got snowed in and they missed 'Gotterdammerung'.

Bet it was a frosty atmosphere in the Futtocks family that evening ?

I'll def do all 4 parts one day. Loads of versions on YouTube about that I've watched. Would sure be something to see it all over in Bayreuth though

On 27/10/2019 at 19:45, ckn said:

One drawback for me in listening to classical music on motorway journeys is that it is too absorbing. 

Anyway, there's a whole wealth of music for voices out there, including music from the religious choral traditions, plus opera and oratorios etc. How about Spem In Alium by Tallis for something sublime, not to mention 40 part polyphony. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT-ZAAi4UQQ

Tallis, Gibbons, Byrd and Purcell are good starting points for discovering English choral music.

Opera was popular entertainment in the 18th century and at times since, and  its exclusive reputation in this country in recent decades is regrettable. 

On a separate note, I'd recommend singing as good for the morale, particularly singing in a choir.

On 27/10/2019 at 19:53, Padge said:

Depends what you are looking for.

This is the acist 

I am also big fan of Gregorian Chants, great for calming you down when stuck on a motorway.

I'm meant to be singing in a performance of Carmina Burana next year.

Looking forward to it.

16 minutes ago, longboard said:

One drawback for me in listening to classical music on motorway journeys is that it is too absorbing. 

Anyway, there's a whole wealth of music for voices out there, including music from the religious choral traditions, plus opera and oratorios etc. How about Spem In Alium by Tallis for something sublime, not to mention 40 part polyphony. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT-ZAAi4UQQ

Tallis, Gibbons, Byrd and Purcell are good starting points for discovering English choral music.

Opera was popular entertainment in the 18th century and at times since, and  its exclusive reputation in this country in recent decades is regrettable. 

On a separate note, I'd recommend singing as good for the morale, particularly singing in a choir.

As far as choral music is concerned, if you can find a recording of a Russian choir doing Rachmaninov's Vespers, it is a powerful and beautiful thing. I've heard Western choirs attempt it, but they don't have the physical condition and experience of that open-throated singing, especially in the baritone and bass sections. This is a long a cappella choral work, and I've heard good English choirs run out of steam long before the end.

As for pop crossovers, Todd Rundgren recorded a version of 'The Lord Chancellor's Nightmare Song' on his self-titled 1974 album. It is a Gilbert & Sullivan patter song, and Todd's attempt is a fun tribute.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

As far as choral music is concerned, if you can find a recording of a Russian choir doing Rachmaninov's Vespers, it is a powerful and beautiful thing. I've heard Western choirs attempt it, but they don't have the physical condition and experience of that open-throated singing, especially in the baritone and bass sections. This is a long a cappella choral work, and I've heard good English choirs run out of steam long before the end.

As for pop crossovers, Todd Rundgren recorded a version of 'The Lord Chancellor's Nightmre Sog' on his self-titled 1974 album. It is a Gilbert & Sullivan patter song, and Todd's attempt is a fun tribute.

Yes, the Vespers is great.

The low notes are a challenge for most basses.

Archived