TRL Expansion Club

Eddie

How about us TRL forum contributors set up a new expansion club, we clearly know what we’re talking about and what everyone else has done wrong. 

I’m thinking Montevideo because there is already a rugby culture there, cost of living is low and the weather is nice but am open to other suggestions. If we’re staying in Europe then maybe Krakow. The aim will be to get into League One in 2021 and reach SL by 2028. 

I’m an accountant so am happy to run the finance department. Who’s in and what will you bring to the table? A billionaire or two would be handy.

Accra, Ghana.  Great weather, same time zone as UK, 40K stadium already been used for RU, 2 million people, low cost of living. Airport only 10kmfrom stadium. Plenty of hotels.

10 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

What would I bring? I'd be in charge of the ducks, obviously. Although I also have extensive experience with chooks, geese and turkeys.

Speaking of turkeys, I doubt this thread will survive Thanksgiving (expansionist reference), let alone Christmas (traditionalist reference).

But I do like the idea of both Accra and Montevideo, though I don't think I'd buy a season ticket for either.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

31 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How about us TRL forum contributors set up a new expansion club, we clearly know what we’re talking about and what everyone else has done wrong. 

I’m thinking Montevideo because there is already a rugby culture there, cost of living is low and the weather is nice but am open to other suggestions. If we’re staying in Europe then maybe Krakow. The aim will be to get into League One in 2021 and reach SL by 2028. 

I’m an accountant so am happy to run the finance department. Who’s in and what will you bring to the table? A billionaire or two would be handy.

A northern only franchise based on the border of the pennines. No southern players (not as tough as northerners), a badge with a red and white rose on it, only pies and real ale sold in the stadium (which is terraced with no roof because theres no need for owt fancy). Oh and a massive north stand terrace vs a single row south stand just to emphasise northern superiority.

?

36 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Port Stanley... it would have enough fit athletic players.

Call it Sporting Stanley.   

59 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Fantastic city Montevideo. Went there after 2 weeks in Argentina and was so much calmer and frankly nicer

The rugby is all posh school based so they'd probably hate league

If we have the billionaire on board though we can either pay them to convert or hire heavies to make them? 

After David Attenborough's documentary last night, it has to be Antarctica. There's a whole continent untapped. Those harsh conditions are just like the North of England, although I would guess more prone to frozen pitches. So a UK base would also be needed and I suggest Leigh as it has a guided busway running to it.

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Fantastic city Montevideo. Went there after 2 weeks in Argentina and was so much calmer and frankly nicer

The rugby is all posh school based so they'd probably hate league

If we have the billionaire on board though we can either pay them to convert or hire heavies to make them? 

We could get Uruguay’s working classes into it though, sell it to them as anti-elite. If we can get the big football teams like Penarol and Nacional on board it will increase the fan base too, we’ll probably have to use the Monumental as our home ground once we’re in super League. 

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We could get Uruguay’s working classes into it though, sell it to them as anti-elite. If we can get the big football teams like Penarol and Nacional on board it will increase the fan base too, we’ll probably have to use the Monumental as our home ground once we’re in super League. 

We'll need to keep reliable attendance records so we'll have to recruit some key forum contributors from TRL forum to help count

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Rome Gladiators. Plenty of Australians who could get/already have an Italian passport, great city, great history and good weather in the summer months. 

They could play at the ' coliseum ' it's in better nick than belle Vue and the jungle ?

5 hours ago, overtheborder said:

A northern only franchise based on the border of the pennines. No southern players (not as tough as northerners), a badge with a red and white rose on it, only pies and real ale sold in the stadium (which is terraced with no roof because theres no need for owt fancy). Oh and a massive north stand terrace vs a single row south stand just to emphasise northern superiority.

?

Its been tried.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Amsterdam Reefers?

They would have to have a toke n Dutch player!  Then they could DR with Fev and be the Dutch Capper's

And no I am not responsible for the TRL headline ' Bath ready to clean up'?

Archived