1-2 Nov: Rugby League World Cup Qualifiers Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's World Cup qualifiers here.

FRIDAY 1st NOVEMBER
Rugby League World Cup Qualifiers
Greece v Scotland    19:30 (OurLeague App)
at New River Stadium, London

SATURDAY 2nd NOVEMBER
Rugby League World Cup Qualifiers
Italy v Spain    16:00
at Stadio Communale G Teghil, Lignano

Was at New River Road for Greece"s first match there, and will be there again in Friday. I think they will give Scotland a decent game, but there is not enough quality to cause an upset. 

Italy and Spain could end up being the closest game in the qualifiers. Spain can take confidence from their first half against Ireland  Italy like Great Britain last week may be under prepared, so we could well be seeing Spain at the World Cup. 

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

17 minutes ago, flyingking said:

Was at New River Road for Greece"s first match there, and will be there again in Friday. I think they will give Scotland a decent game, but there is not enough quality to cause an upset. 

Italy and Spain could end up being the closest game in the qualifiers. Spain can take confidence from their first half against Ireland  Italy like Great Britain last week may be under prepared, so we could well be seeing Spain at the World Cup. 

Italy played two tests down under (v Malta and Philippines), so my hope is that the team had the time to gel. Euro based guys – like Gioele, who plays in Wales – will be involved too. 

By the way, Spain are a tough side to play this season.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

3 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Italy A host Germany in a warm up game to the main event.

Yeah.

Both games will be broadcast live on the FIRL Facebook page.

Fella (Castleford) and Brugel the only not homegrown players that will play v Germany. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

The upset is very much on, half time Greece 16 Scotland 18. Greece have been sensational going forward, really hope they can pull it off. 

1 minute ago, flyingking said:

Crowd not happy as Child awards a Scottish try which was clearly forward. 

I thought it was ok tbh. Hard to tell from the opposite side of the ground.

Another couple of tries on the RHS of the Greek defence.

Great evening in North London, Greece matched Scotland for all bar the last ten minutes. A fantastic effort and so close to being one of the shock results in international rugby league. Very much hope we will see the Greeks in 202, they would be a fine addition to the World Cup. Healthy crowd too, probably 5 to 6 hundred, including a number who came to the previous game

3 hours ago, JonM said:

I thought it was ok tbh. Hard to tell from the opposite side of the ground.

Another couple of tries on the RHS of the Greek defence.

Was forward as was in line with it and arguably the game breaker though Scotland added couple of legitimate tries following. For a team of relative novices, very impressed by Greece and they fought to the end though looked bit tired in last ten.

Not impressed with Childs refereeing as his onside was atrocious all game.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

40 minutes ago, JonM said:

Three - Katsidonis (Rhodes),  Nianikis (Aris), Koutsimporgiogos (Aris).

FOUR!  Stefanos Bastas, although he played this season with Doncaster, is a domestically-produced player.  Since got released by Doncaster at season's end and is now with Villegailhenc in French Elite 2.

Archived