New club born in West Oxfordshire

Oh my God. Another false dawn. I went to watch Oxford and Oxford Cavaliers before that. I had hope for Oxford Cavaliers but it fizzled out. I never expected the Oxford semi-pro club to last. I won't be letting myself get excited about this one. My programme collection includes dozens and dozens from teams I have been to watch since 1971 that no longer exist. Everyone of them was heralded as a bright new dawn. Rl clubs are dying off in droves in the heartlands every season but we still have people that get excited when somebody tells them Santa is coming. More chance of a team succeeding from Brigadoon than Oxford.

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Get them in Super League @scotchy1 lad. They’re thinking outside of the box and representing a region, not a city. 

Great. It worked well for West Wales Raiders didn't it? Another team that I have watched over 20 times, especially as Scorpions at Neath. I actively support all new clubs but don't expect them to last. This is RL, it's a minority sport and unless a club has huge financial resources it is doomed to failure.

5 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Oh my God. Another false dawn. I went to watch Oxford and Oxford Cavaliers before that. I had hope for Oxford Cavaliers but it fizzled out. I never expected the Oxford semi-pro club to last. I won't be letting myself get excited about this one. My programme collection includes dozens and dozens from teams I have been to watch since 1971 that no longer exist. Everyone of them was heralded as a bright new dawn. Rl clubs are dying off in droves in the heartlands every season but we still have people that get excited when somebody tells them Santa is coming. More chance of a team succeeding from Brigadoon than Oxford.

Have you read the article?

4 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Have you read the article?

No. I don't read many articles in newspapers either. Once you have seen the headline you know the story. I have read too many of them before anyhow. I have spent thousands watching new RL clubs of all standards and will continue to do so but it's the most frustrating sport in the world. I know its the greatest sport on Earth but I wish I could find something that entertained me more so that I could give it up. I was even responsible for starting a new team up in Hull once, even though I have never lived there, but they only lasted about 5 seasons. I have been fighting a lost cause for too long.

14 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Great. It worked well for West Wales Raiders didn't it? Another team that I have watched over 20 times, especially as Scorpions at Neath. I actively support all new clubs but don't expect them to last. This is RL, it's a minority sport and unless a club has huge financial resources it is doomed to failure.

No place for your negativity in the World League, big cities and big thinking only. 

5 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

No. I don't read many articles in newspapers either. Once you have seen the headline you know the story. I have read too many of them before anyhow. I have spent thousands watching new RL clubs of all standards and will continue to do so but it's the most frustrating sport in the world. I know its the greatest sport on Earth but I wish I could find something that entertained me more so that I could give it up. I was even responsible for starting a new team up in Hull once, even though I have never lived there, but they only lasted about 5 seasons. I have been fighting a lost cause for too long.

You’re a right laugh at parties, aren’t you?

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You’re a right laugh at parties, aren’t you? 

I really hate parties. You will always find me sat at a table in the kitchen where the beer is. I much prefer a good funeral and I get to a lot of them these days. Everybody gets the crying out of the way early then gets on with celebrating the deceased's life. I well remember the funerals of Crusaders (at Wakefield Trinity) and Chorley Panthers (at home to York). Strangely enough both teams won. 

23 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

That’s the spirit. 

23 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Perhaps read the article then. The Cavs have certainly not fizzled out - they are now successfully developing juniors, working in schools and broadening their reach

29 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Get them in Super League @scotchy1 lad. They’re thinking outside of the box and representing a region, not a city. 

Oxfordshire isn’t big enough for Scotchy’s league, they’ll have to call themselves the Northern Hemisphere Cavaliers to get in. 

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Perhaps read the article then. The Cavs have certainly not fizzled out - they are now successfully developing juniors, working in schools and broadening their reach

Good luck to them then, they are going to need it. Been around over 20 years then, we should start seeing the fruitage of their labours soon. It that ginger haired lad from Halifax still involved? Can't remember his name but he was very passionate. I first saw them away at Ipswich Rhinos many years ago.

Just now, Celtic Roosters said:

Good luck to them then, they are going to need it. Been around over 20 years then, we should start seeing the fruitage of their labours soon. It that ginger haired lad from Halifax still involved? Can't remember his name but he was very passionate. I first saw them away at Ipswich Rhinos many years ago.

No i don't think Ed Sheeran is involved

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

If you read this thread, it's pretty obvious that the biggest weakness of rugby league is rugby league fans. 

There is no RU fan that thinks less of the game than the people who comment on here. 

I agree. Perhaps we are too honest. RL does not have the money to support Super clubs without it being to the detriment of the rest of the game. Lack of genuine wealth is the main problem. We will never compete with RU in that department. They have a truely national and international game, even though I can't take to it myself.

27 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Would you rather everybody gave up so that you couldn't watch it?

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/new-club-born-in-west-oxfordshire/

Not heard or seen anything of this before..............didn't know there was junior development in Oxfordshire, really encouraging to hear. Not sure if any of these seeds were sown by the semi-professional team which was there, or whether it's unrelated.

You should read Rugby League World, then.

There's a four page feature on this in the current issue.

https://shop.totalrl.com/product/single-issues/

Archived