Sam Burgess to retire today (Wednesday)

My favourite memory of SB was the point in the GF where there was about 4 minutes left and they were up by 24 points and Sam and GI were crying because it had sunk in that they couldn't possibly lose from there. You could see all the tension drain away as they realised they'd done it.

I think it was when Reynolds scored with about 2 minutes left.

RFL Facebook account announcing the retirement of Sam Burgess with Immediate effect.

Thanks for the memories Sam. One of the very best.

Heres hoping he stays active within the game for a long time to come.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

He does only say he won't be playing in the NRL next year. Nowhere does it say he is retiring. 

Some articles do. 

I get the speculation around whether this might mean he signs for a SL club but it really wouldn't make sense. Nobody could match what he was on at Souths and it's not like the game is particularly different for forwards in SL than it is the NRL so surely he'd have just stayed where he was? 

Even though he's now separated from his wife I can't see that he'll be wanting to move halfway around the world without his children. I'd expect a coaching role with Souths to be announced and/or a big punditry contract with Fox. 

Said all there is to say about Big Sam already , but reading the tributes from highly respected and leading figures in the game - many Australian - just reinforces it .  Will go down with our all time elite players . I wish him well . He leaves a hole in a team when he’s not there and opponents say thankyou for it 

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Said all there is to say about Big Sam already , but reading the tributes from highly respected and leading figures in the game - many Australian - just reinforces it .  Will go down with our all time elite players . I wish him well . He leaves a hole in a team when he’s not there and opponents say thankyou for it 

He'll be talked about for many years to come.  The impact he had, the Russell Crowe 'Slammin Sam" story.  Made me proud to be British watching that.

3 other instances.  The Fui Fui smash, running over SBW and how he bullied the bully throughout the game and lastly, his Grand Final efforts.

Best wishes to him, whatever he does. 

37 minutes ago, Bert1 said:

Hopefully he gets on strictly or something and helps lift the profile of the game of that awful programme.

Changed for order of importance and accuracy!

Sad to see anyone finish early but when they're your heroes like Sam it's alway too early!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

57 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Even though he's now separated from his wife I can't see that he'll be wanting to move halfway around the world without his children. I'd expect a coaching role with Souths to be announced and/or a big punditry contract with Fox. 

punditry

Souths are having to pay out his full contract (which is something like 4 years). They are negotiating Salary Cap dispensation with the NRL for next year. I think him suddenly popping up at Leeds will have massive implications.

He is done. Great player.

We'll look back on him in a few years time as one of the greats. At his peak he was immense, probably the best all-round forward in my time watching the game. Just an absolute champion athlete.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Archived