Jamaica developing strength-in-depth ahead of 2021

https://hecanplayfor.weebly.com/jamaica.html

A total of 35 players across Super League, Championship and League One. There are 2 or 3 more players whose eligibility we're yet to determine but think they may have Jamaican parentage or grandparentage. Anyway their stocks are certainly stronger than what they were 3-5 years ago.

If at full strength they can definitely compete with the celtic nations.

P.S. @Pulga - here you go mate.

What’s your involvement in this WM? Just interested really. 

Would be good to see a mix of heritage and home grown players in the Jamaican W/C team, there was an interview on chasing kangaroos last week with someone from their federation who was keen to stress that they don’t just want a load of heritage players which was encouraging, sounds like the game there is expanding nicely despite lots of adversity ?

42 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What’s your involvement in this WM? Just interested really. 

Would be good to see a mix of heritage and home grown players in the Jamaican W/C team, there was an interview on chasing kangaroos last week with someone from their federation who was keen to stress that they don’t just want a load of heritage players which was encouraging, sounds like the game there is expanding nicely despite lots of adversity ?

Yeah they had 2 players over for the Knights game recently, I think they’re going about it the right way. producing some quality on the island over the next decade will go a long way in many respects.

The website is mine, I simply update it and add to it when necessary... its 80% dialogue with players myself, 15% research and information provided from others and 5% general knowledge/accepted fact. 

Can't see more than 2 homegrown players involved in this World Cup. It's not necessarily a problem, imho.

In addition to this, Romeo's recently talked in a podcast, saying they're open to Australia touring team, etc. for test matches in Europa (I can imagine: England based players + 1/2 domestic) and for tests in Northern America (v Canada and the US). 

Having this group of English heritage players can really give as more tests in Europe. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

The more players they can get to play for them through heritage the stronger they will get similar to what happened with Tonga before the last WC with players "transferring " from New Zealand. Jamaica for me is genuinely the next big international team for the game. I hope the RLIF are sensible when it comes to team bases as if they can draw over 7,000 at Headingley for a one off match as they did, I would base them in Leeds to allow them to become a focal point for Jamaica RL. Get them in the schools etc as they do and work with the the Jamaican hertiage communities based there, you could easily inspire a generation. 

2 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

The more players they can get to play for them through heritage the stronger they will get similar to what happened with Tonga before the last WC with players "transferring " from New Zealand. Jamaica for me is genuinely the next big international team for the game. I hope the RLIF are sensible when it comes to team bases as if they can draw over 7,000 at Headingley for a one off match as they did, I would base them in Leeds to allow them to become a focal point for Jamaica RL. Get them in the schools etc as they do and work with the the Jamaican hertiage communities based there, you could easily inspire a generation. 

The team might get stronger but it’s not really growing the game if it’s people who are already playing RL in England and are from here.  If however this gets kids in Jamaica playing and people there watching them then great. 

I think it's a great development. If they can get their full strength side together they could beat France or Wales, and create more options for Northern Hemisphere internationals. You could have your own mid-year test weekend in the UK - a Headingley double header might be a great event. There's an interesting hook for media, and potential to attract a new community to rugby league. It's growing the game even if it only attracts new English fans of Jamaican heritage... Though from what I've read, they're actually doing a bit more than that and generating a bit of local interest. Who knows? They could one day be the team that captures media attention in the US too.

Jamaica had a population of 2.9 million so its not a tiny population like some of the Pacific Islands. They also have the obvious heritage players to call on. There is certainly a lot of potential there and it would be great for the sport if the IRL could assist in them purchasing a permanent ground for the sport so they can build on the great development work that is going on.

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Three former South London Storm/Croydon Hurricanes players in that list. And to think someone who moved the club across the capital said that this area was not a good RL area.

Does anyone know if this/these clubs are still active? I just had a look online, and the Hurricane's twitter hasn't been used since 2018 it seems, and their website doesn't work.

I also can't find out much about the South London Storm either anymore.

1 hour ago, Click said:

Does anyone know if this/these clubs are still active? I just had a look online, and the Hurricane's twitter hasn't been used since 2018 it seems, and their website doesn't work.

I also can't find out much about the South London Storm either anymore.

Sadly, neither is around anymore. Storm were 'moved on' and united with West London Sharks to become today London Chargers. One of the reasons given was that Croydon is not, nor will ever be, a  Rugby League area! After Storm were killed off the Hurricanes withered and died due to (IMHO) an ill-considered ground change and poor management (the latter, I'll share the blame). 

The positives are that for a non-RL area there are now two clubs based within a mile or two of Storm's old base in Thornton Heath; Brixton Bulls (who have a junior section) and South London Silverbacks.

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

The team might get stronger but it’s not really growing the game if it’s people who are already playing RL in England and are from here.  If however this gets kids in Jamaica playing and people there watching them then great. 

You can have both things.

Especially given Jamaica RL has the government's recognition and help and is inside Universities.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

6 hours ago, Copa said:

As long as team selection policies have the support of those on the ground in Jamaica then all is good.

Only the Jamaicans themselves will know where to draw the line regarding home grown v heritage players.

Heritage players are fine for the short term ,but like all nations they need to get into schools, and built up their junior playing base.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/11/2019 at 15:32, Number 16 said:

After Storm were killed off the Hurricanes withered and died due to (IMHO) an ill-considered ground change and poor management (the latter, I'll share the blame). 

Given the limitations you had to work with, I wouldn't beat yourself up. You more than did your bit, not sure who could've made the StormIcanes work long term. 

We subsequently found out all sorts of stuff which meant that club was unsustainable. 

Archived