Good luck England

Blue Pike

They lost and I am glad. I have no time for Union after I was barred from playing  the game for playing RL in the sixties. I played Union in the army and at school but outside of those areas if you played League you were black listed. A load of hypocrites. Boot money was very relevant in those days and they also banned RL during the war in France. All the RL assets going to Union via the Vichy government and the Nazis.

Each to their own colin.

I'm happy to support england in a crib tournament. They performed well until today. A victory would have given the country a really good vibe and boy does it need one!! I would happily have celebrated heros whos parents weren't even born at the times you mention.

But, if you are "glad" that England lost, that's entirely your call. I just cant imagine being glad at an england loss. Poor do for me that.

3 hours ago, jamescolin said:

They lost and I am glad. I have no time for Union after I was barred from playing  the game for playing RL in the sixties. I played Union in the army and at school but outside of those areas if you played League you were black listed. A load of hypocrites. Boot money was very relevant in those days and they also banned RL during the war in France. All the RL assets going to Union via the Vichy government and the Nazis.

And RL is cleaner then clean? Don't think so! 

I think we have moved on from the sixties .Both my sons play for Pontefract RUFC and they are very welcoming in the Club House and bear no malice towards RL in fact they are Fev Rovers friendly. I have always thought that even though RL is a better game. I think they beat us in the social aspect of the game. I think Colin on this rare occasion you are very wrong in spitefully saying you are glad that England have lost as like Robin says we desperately need an event to put a smile on our faces especially with the Brexit fiasco plus other stuff bringing our country down.

11 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Sorry folks. Just it still lingers in my memory.

Colin. If I've got your age correct, at the time you started school the luftwaffe were dropping bombs all across Britain. We were shooting at Germans all over the continent. In the far east british troops were being shot to bits. Some of those survivors were treat to appalling treatment and conditions by the Japanese.

In britain there are millions of VWs, mercs, BMWs, Audis... nissans toyota and mitsubishi.... the rugby world cup has been in japan. Its been a huge success seemingly enjoyed by everyone.

The world has moved on Colin....

2 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

I think we have moved on from the sixties .Both my sons play for Pontefract RUFC and they are very welcoming in the Club House and bear no malice towards RL in fact they are Fev Rovers friendly. I have always thought that even though RL is a better game. I think they beat us in the social aspect of the game. I think Colin on this rare occasion you are very wrong in spitefully saying you are glad that England have lost as like Robin says we desperately need an event to put a smile on our faces especially with the Brexit fiasco plus other stuff bringing our country down.

Yes. It's 2019 and I've always heard good things about Ponte RU. But let's face It, they have to be as RL friendly as possible given where they are.

Venture further afield and find the old prejudices of Union people against League us alive and well and there are plenty of examples in the 21st century of the type of petty c rap Colin had to put up decades ago 

it was like watching paint dry.  I can only think it must be either drugs or mass hypnosis that fills the stadiums because it certainly isn’t the product.  The skill level was abysmal too, could throw two passes together to save their lives.   

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

31 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes. It's 2019 and I've always heard good things about Ponte RU. But let's face It, they have to be as RL friendly as possible given where they are.

Venture further afield and find the old prejudices of Union people against League us alive and well and there are plenty of examples in the 21st century of the type of petty c rap Colin had to put up decades ago 

I agree Why should Colin sweep is prejudices under the carpet because its 2019? People sometimes have deep feelings about all things in this life. If he doesnt like Rugby Union then he doesnt like Rugby Union. I dont. Not for the reasons Colin outlines. I just dont?

52 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

The only person at wath making any anti-league comment in my ear shot was tony price..... and that was decades ago... 

It really isn't an issue down there these days Mark

20 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I agree Why should Colin sweep is prejudices under the carpet because its 2019? People sometimes have deep feelings about all things in this life. If he doesnt like Rugby Union then he doesnt like Rugby Union. I dont. Not for the reasons Colin outlines. I just dont?

Phil. Not liking any sport is purely a personal choice. What i struggle with is those lads went out today as reps of our country in a world cup final.... and being glad they lost???? I just don't get it.

Each to their own.

16 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

The only person at wath making any anti-league comment in my ear shot was tony price..... and that was decades ago... 

It really isn't an issue down there these days Mark

Yeah mate. Sure. All Union folk are three headed monsters? Of course not. But there has been a colossal quantity of c rap thrown at League by Union and it still goes on.

Wath was ok- ish. I was big mates with Pete White's son. Pricey was the bigwig there so if folk took their cue from him....

Did you know a fullback called Gummersall who was a fireman? I got some choice unilluminated  comments from him once about the 13 a side code.

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yeah mate. Sure. All Union folk are three headed monsters? Of course not. But there has been a colossal quantity of c rap thrown at League by Union and it still goes on.

Wath was ok- ish. I was big mates with Pete White's son. Pricey was the bigwig there so if folk took their cue from him....

Did you know a fullback called Gummersall who was a fireman? I got some choice unilluminated  comments from him once about the 13 a side code.

Gummer was in my form at school!!?

Again, that must have been decades ago. Time moves on

I don't like Union because (no matter how many times I give it another try)  I just don't understand the rules.  It confuses me because we have similar terms like knock-on and forward pass but they seem to mean completely different things in Union.  The other reason is that whenever I watch it, and whoever England play,  year after year, there's a French bloke in charge who decides after a couple of minutes that England are infringing at the scrums making it difficult for us to win.  (Not that I am suggesting refs are biased against my team btw).

That said, I think it is a much better game / spectacle than it used to be back in the 80's when I used to watch it for a laugh.  Doctors, lawyers and headteachers playing with a letter rather than a number on their shirt. 

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

I don't like Union because (no matter how many times I give it another try)  I just don't understand the rules.  It confuses me because we have similar terms like knock-on and forward pass but they seem to mean completely different things in Union.  The other reason is that whenever I watch it, and whoever England play,  year after year, there's a French bloke in charge who decides after a couple of minutes that England are infringing at the scrums making it difficult for us to win.  (Not that I am suggesting refs are biased against my team btw).

That said, I think it is a much better game / spectacle than it used to be back in the 80's when I used to watch it for a laugh.  Doctors, lawyers and headteachers playing with a letter rather than a number on their shirt. 

Its like a penalty shoot out whenever I watch it which is not very often I must admit. They continue to maul even though sometimes Ive spotted a six man overlap. Whats that all about? Anyhow Ive nothing against people enjoying it cos theres lots that do looking at the crowds for big games.

I have watched RL since 1939. I went to the King's School and played RU. I played for Fev under 18's in 1951/1952 . Whewn I was called up for my National Service I played Union in the army. There when they found out that you had RL experience you were straight into the first   

(Carry on folks) fifteen. When I left the army I played some more amateur RL. At 34 (1968) I thought I would like a game and chose RU as I thought I was too old for RL. When they found out that I had played League and that I was a Fev supporter I was shown the door.  Yes time has moved on but it still isn't fair. Listen to the Tele or read the newspapers RU is just described as rugby, not RU. Quizzes show it as rugby not RU, We are not given a faIr crack of the whip  and to my mind the old anti RL prejudices are still there. Covered up a bit but I don't think time has moved on as much as you think.  Ok my views are out of date in some ways but not entirely. OK we can talk about representing England in other aspects but they have had no connection with RL. That class distinction still exists and I have had experience of it in more ways than one. As a working class lad I joined banking in 1956 I was invited to play for the bank RU team. as an old Pomfretion . When they found out I had played RL I was not spoken to again on this matter.   Time marches on but I reckon if you dig deep you will still see the same attitude from Southerners. I have two degrees but if I speak to anybody from down South they think that northern people are of a lower class to them no matter what their experience or qualifications are..  . 

Archived