The Daddy

GB Lions should not have been brought back

4 minutes ago, winnyason said:

He won't dig into line imo he not in same  class as Marshall, Johnson, dce, keary. Tries hard that won't win you test matches with 7 on your back.

And he's the reigning Man of Steel...

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

31 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

And he's the reigning Man of Steel...

Yeap and that there I a huge worry. He might be a great club player but that does not make him an international player in top tier. 

1 minute ago, winnyason said:

Yeap and that there I a huge worry. He might be a great club player but that does not make him an international player in top tier. 

I think, given what he's proven in club rl, he deserves more than a tour to prove his value. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

10 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

I think, given what he's proven in club rl, he deserves more than a tour to prove his value. 

He been terrible him and widdop are useless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Buderus said:

As an Aussie i'm not too fussed if it's GB or England, however you can make a decent argument for Great Britain despite the shambles of a tour. 

Often the argument is brought up that it is simply England in a different shirt, however that may not be the case over the next few seasons and imo shouldn't have been this year. 

Morgan Knowles and Regan Grace are 23 and 22 with multiple tests for Wales. Knowles almost certainty would have been picked for Great Britain if not for injury and imo Grace should have been. If their career trajectory continues they could easily be in the top 17 for Great Britain as early as next season. 

Wales last 4 Home Tests have been played in front of crowds of 1257, 902, 1028 and 1253. There is nothing wrong with that for an emerging nation standard. However for 2 elite players in Regan and Morgan that is poor compared to test matches a Great Britain team would be involved in (both crowds and stature). 

On top of that, performance wise Wales is also struggling to match the more elite teams. Again, nothing wrong for an emerging nation, however elite players want to play with other elite players. In 2017 WC, Wales were smashed 50 to 6 against PNG and 72 to 6 against Fiji. You can imagine the kind of score line they would be hit with against the likes of Australia or England. 

Fast forward to the end of the season and Australia are about to play an Ashes Series against England. Morgan Knowles can choose between being a part of a sold out Ashes Series or a low key test in front of 2000 at most. Morgan will play for England (as he has every right to do) and Wales will lose him. Regan Grace who is Welsh born has a similar choice, I have no doubt Regan qualifies for England via residency or some type of grandparent. Either Regan plays for Wales in front of 2000 or in a high profile Ashes series. So Wales lose both players to a rival country, or worse they go to Union. 

If it's Great Britain they can both play in high profile games without needing to change their country. They can play as Wales in WC or even if it's just Great Britain all the time at least they can represent Wales as part of GB. 

Rugby League in Wales is not attractive to players at the moment. The opportunity to play in big games for Great Britain makes it more attractive to players both emerging and senior. Wales can still play games at an emerging level with the Serbia's and Italy's same as England Knights. However the elite players from Wales have an opportunity to play for Great Britain. I also see no reason why an Ashes test for GB can't be taken to Millennium Stadium, just like the 2013 WC that attracted 40,000. 

Not attractive enough? Regan Grace said it was his dream to play for wales. 

• Like 1

I want Welsh players to have a genuine chance of winning the WC. IMO have the WC like it was between 1988 and 1992, why couldn't the recent series between NZ and GB have bn for WC points? 2 points per test match, and for a further 2 against PNG on Saturday 🙂 

On 10/11/2019 at 21:36, Themusician_2 said:

Not attractive enough? Regan Grace said it was his dream to play for wales. 

In what sport? Football or RU?

But to be serious, I don't doubt Grace's desire to represent Wales at RL. I also think he'd probably quite like to play for GB in front of much bigger crowds than Wales are likely to command.

I don't see why he can't have both, or at least aspire to both. If we were playing regularly as GB, there's no reason why Wales can't also have matches. Surely England vs Wales would be the obvious choice for mid season - perhaps minus the NRL players.

• Like 1

Listening to the latest BBC podcast with Dave Woods, it didn't sound as though Kevin Sinfield was hugely keen on GB playing again. He certainly didn't rule it out, but his first response when asked "Would you want to see Great Britain back again?" was to say "I'm not sure".

Even allowing for the fact that he maybe didn't want to commit to anything right there and then, it wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the GB brand. I would have expected him to say "yes, definitely - but we need to think carefully about when and where."

Wait till they find out how much money all this cost...Christ they've just flew ash handley halfway round the effing world and then not picked him...cos of course Blake Austin is better on the wing!!

Effing shambles ..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

17 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Listening to the latest BBC podcast with Dave Woods, it didn't sound as though Kevin Sinfield was hugely keen on GB playing again. He certainly didn't rule it out, but his first response when asked "Would you want to see Great Britain back again?" was to say "I'm not sure".

Even allowing for the fact that he maybe didn't want to commit to anything right there and then, it wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the GB brand. I would have expected him to say "yes, definitely - but we need to think carefully about when and where."

The problem is that if we had a massive international calendar and England played loads of matches then you can have GB as the cherry on the top... but we dont, and therefore the whole things looks like a right dogs breakfast at the moment. 

England dont play stand along games

England do play but as GB

The coach uses GB to experiment for England.. 

If England played a few games (3-5 would be nice) a year and GB played once every 4 (and isnt just England in another shirt) then fine.. but the reality is is that that is not where we are so for the moment lets get the nations underneath sorted before we even think about GB on the top.

If I were Kevin Sinfield who is going to be charged with England team success I wouldnt want GB rearing its head for a god long while!

Edited by RP London
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, RP London said:

The problem is that if we had a massive international calendar and England played loads of matches then you can have GB as the cherry on the top... but we dont, and therefore the whole things looks like a right dogs breakfast at the moment. 

Bang on. But it also needs the other home nations to be playing loads of matches. And these need to be meaningful, high profile games in order to get the buy-in from the better players. It can't be playing in front of the proverbial man and a dog like we've seen previously.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Bang on. But it also needs the other home nations to be playing loads of matches. And these need to be meaningful, high profile games in order to get the buy-in from the better players. It can't be playing in front of the proverbial man and a dog like we've seen previously.

When has it ever been anything but that though? Especially for Scotland. I recall Wales had a couple of decent crowds around the mid 1990's when they still had their RU converts, but did they ever before that or since then?

Although I hope I'm wrong, I can see Wales, and especially Scotland and Ireland, never amounting to anything at international level.

10 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

When has it ever been anything but that though? Especially for Scotland.

It definitely won't be easy, but they'd need to throw some money and effort at it. They got over 20k at Coventry (on bonfire night) for the 4N game against Scotland a few years back, with apparently over 40% of tickets sold to people form the Midlands, so it shows that people from non-RL areas will go and watch big games. Approx 7k went to Edinburgh to watch London v Bradford in the 90s if I recall.

Having had a look, it seems as though Scotland were getting around 1-1.5k when hosting games at Galashiels - which is in the middle of nowhere - and now seem to have dropped lower having moved a game to a park pitch in Glasgow. Choosing to play on park pitches with zero promotion condemns these games to be low key and non events, so we need to aim a lot higher. Unfortunately, the home nations governing bodies don't have pots to piddle in, so this is where it's in the interests of the RFL (who admittedly don't have much of a pot either...) to help them out.

I recall Wales had a couple of decent crowds around the mid 1990's when they still had their RU converts, but did they ever before that or since then?

Some high profile RU converts definitely wouldn't hurt each home nations team's profile!

Although I hope I'm wrong, I can see Wales, and especially Scotland and Ireland, never amounting to anything at international level.

Unless something different and innovative is tried then I agree. They're never going to generate massive audiences, but I don't see why they couldn't become significantly bigger events for a niche audience. For example, Scotland and Ireland have had sellout crowds (admittedly at smallish grounds under 10k) for fixtures against England. As things stand, they're never going to penetrate the public's consciousness if their internationals are so low key and so few and far between.

An annual Euro Championships that is well marketed and promoted, and includes fixtures against a full England side would help to change this IMO. However, it would take strong, persuasive leadership, and highly effective planning and marketing to get all their ducks in row and make a concept like this come off. Which is alas why I believe it's fantasy land stuff. But that doesn't make it a bad idea in principle.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

It definitely won't be easy, but they'd need to throw some money and effort at it. They got over 20k at Coventry (on bonfire night) for the 4N game against Scotland a few years back, with apparently over 40% of tickets sold to people form the Midlands, so it shows that people from non-RL areas will go and watch big games. Approx 7k went to Edinburgh to watch London v Bradford in the 90s if I recall.

Having had a look, it seems as though Scotland were getting around 1-1.5k when hosting games at Galashiels - which is in the middle of nowhere - and now seem to have dropped lower having moved a game to a park pitch in Glasgow. Choosing to play on park pitches with zero promotion condemns these games to be low key and non events, so we need to aim a lot higher. Unfortunately, the home nations governing bodies don't have pots to piddle in, so this is where it's in the interests of the RFL (who admittedly don't have much of a pot either...) to help them out.

Some high profile RU converts definitely wouldn't hurt each home nations team's profile!

Unless something different and innovative is tried then I agree. They're never going to generate massive audiences, but I don't see why they couldn't become significantly bigger events for a niche audience. For example, Scotland and Ireland have had sellout crowds (admittedly at smallish grounds under 10k) for fixtures against England. As things stand, they're never going to penetrate the public's consciousness if their internationals are so low key and so few and far between.

An annual Euro Championships that is well marketed and promoted, and includes fixtures against a full England side would help to change this IMO. However, it would take strong, persuasive leadership, and highly effective planning and marketing to get all their ducks in row and make a concept like this come off. Which is alas why I believe it's fantasy land stuff. But that doesn't make it a bad idea in principle.

We live in the age of social media where marketing costs next to nothing 

• Thanks 1