The Daddy

GB Lions should not have been brought back

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

England cricket wear various shades of blue and red. England hockey wear red.

England rugby league's only problem is that the obvious kit is already in use by St Helens.

yep i do agree.. 

IIRC i think cricket is like football using the colours of the ECB/TCCB as they used to tour as the MCC in a different jumper etc too. 

Hockey also use the traditional red and yellow three lions I think as a badge which is an interesting way to go and would have liked to see that when we changed over using those as the colours to use... 

There has to be a way around the "St Helens" look .. with all the design possibilities in this world

1 minute ago, RP London said:

There has to be a way around the "St Helens" look .. with all the design possibilities in this world

Have you seen the England women's football red shirt?

That colour. White chevron.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

England cricket wear various shades of blue and red. England hockey wear red.

England rugby league's only problem is that the obvious kit is already in use by St Helens.

Yes that is the most obvious design, and a shame they can't use it for fear of alienating other supporters.

A look back at some of the recent England shirts on oldrugbyshirts.com) and for me there isn't enough of an obvious visual distinction that differentiates from RU. Again, you wouldn't have Pepsi selling their version of cola in a similar looking can to that of Coca Cola. It reminds of those own brands that you get in Aldi or Lidl that mimic the known brands but are cheaper knock-offs.

image.thumb.png.9c9669f574da6634e87ddd450abe5c3f.png

We need to be bold and different, and emphasise that RL is different and be proud of it.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That would look class. We'd just need to persuade Wales to adopt a lot more green and white on their shirt and we're in business!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

problem is that is very much like the welsh shirt right now too.. which IMHO would be problematic for the "distinction".. whatever they do the badge needs to be bold and obvious so that the badge shows its not "wales" or "saints" shirt.. 

Id go one bold red v, red sleeves, red shorts... get rid of the badge as is (its too narrow).. and make it nice and bold.. 

3 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

That would look class. We'd just need to persuade Wales to adopt a lot more green and white on their shirt and we're in business!

yes if they did that i'd be happy to go with the red shirt, white chevron and put some yellow in too... (maybe i've moved towards the nice old eagles shirt too much :kolobok_ph34r:)

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

problem is that is very much like the welsh shirt right now too.. which IMHO would be problematic for the "distinction".. whatever they do the badge needs to be bold and obvious so that the badge shows its not "wales" or "saints" shirt.. 

Id go one bold red v, red sleeves, red shorts... get rid of the badge as is (its too narrow).. and make it nice and bold.. 

One off charity match. England in white, Wales in green. Winner gets the right to wear red.

Edited by gingerjon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

One off charity match. England in white, Wales in green. Winner gets the right to wear red.

sorted.... LSV on a Tuesday night for sure

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 03/11/2019 at 07:56, gingerjon said:

True, but there wouldn't have been a tour like this as England. We're only doing it this way because the nostalgia associated with GB.

Is that true though?

What would England have done this year?

The Aussies still wouldn't play us, we had the Kiwis here last time, and we didnt want the Ashes this year as we wanted it next year to lead into the WC.

Once the 4N was consigned to history, instead of the planned expansion to 8 teams, we suddenly have a huge gap.

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is that true though?

The Aussies still wouldn't play us, we had the Kiwis here last time, and we didnt want the Ashes this year as we wanted it next year to lead into the WC.

Once the 4N was consigned to history, instead of the planned expansion to 8 teams, we suddenly have a huge gap.

My memory, and I'm sure I could be wrong, was that the Lions tour was in the diary first and then rather than be flexible on it, we've stuck with it.

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

My memory, and I'm sure I could be wrong, was that the Lions tour was in the diary first and then rather than be flexible on it, we've stuck with it.

IIRC the only flexible option was for the Aussies to come here this year (which I was supportive of), but then that still leaves us with the problem of next year. We either have the Kiwis here again, or do this tour next year.

We were also originally mean to tour as the Lions in 2015 which got shunted because the Aussies didn't want to play, so an element of flexibility had already been shown.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

You completely missed my point. My point was that using GB Rugby League Lions is baffling as it has never been used and shows insecurity regarding the brand. The term was always Great Britain Lions and the RFL now seem too scared to use this, instead giving away our heritage to Union.

It may be we are confusing each other, since the GB name as always been associated with the Lions since 1940s

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

IIRC the only flexible option was for the Aussies to come here this year (which I was supportive of), but then that still leaves us with the problem of next year. We either have the Kiwis here again, or do this tour next year.

We were also originally mean to tour as the Lions in 2015 which got shunted because the Aussies didn't want to play, so an element of flexibility had already been shown.

I'm very grumbly about how poorly this tour has been done and the overall lack of thinking, investment and compromise shown when it comes to international RL.

Otherwise I would probably accept you may have a point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I'm very grumbly about how poorly this tour has been done and the overall lack of thinking, investment and compromise shown when it comes to international RL.

Otherwise I would probably accept you may have a point.

me too mate, and my point is not a good one, it is a joke that we have built up the 4N to a decent level, and then abandoned it to hold triple headers and random poorly supported games with no real context. 

The top 8 playing in a Comp in between WC's is such a no-brainer. Surely these could have been staged in some of the more developing nations at a relatively modest risk.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is that true though?

How could you do that? 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

1 minute ago, MatthewWoody said:

How could you do that? 

2 groups of 4, with semi finals for teams placed 1 and 2 in each group leading to a final. Or if we're worried about blow-outs, a super group with 3 teams qualifying for semis and a minnow group with 1 team qualifying.

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

2 groups of 4, with semi finals for teams placed 1 and 2 in each group leading to a final. Or if we're worried about blow-outs, a super group with 3 teams qualifying for semis and a minnow group with 1 team qualifying.

Money comes to mind.

Just my idea, eh. 

1 minute ago, MatthewWoody said:

Money comes to mind.

Just my idea, eh. 

You'd probably have to host it somewhere that would provide a guaranteed level of income. E.g. either UK or put it out to tender with some watertight financial guarantees from prospective hosts.

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

You'd probably have to host it somewhere that would provide a guaranteed level of income. E.g. either UK or put it out to tender with some watertight financial guarantees from prospective hosts.

Well, I'm just not seeing all those non tier 1 nations travelling to Europe for a non World Cup event.

If you have, the only chance is in Australia, which means players are already there.

Still, you'd need a 5-6 weeks International window which I'm not sure would be accepted by clubs.

3 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Well, I'm just not seeing all those non tier 1 nations travelling to Europe for a non World Cup event.

If you have, the only chance is in Australia, which means players are already there.

That relies on the Australians to sell the concept, and I'm far from convinced that they want to push anything other than Origin.

4 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Still, you'd need a 5-6 weeks International window which I'm not sure would be accepted by clubs.

That's the bigger issue, and one that I think probably leaves it dead in the water.

9 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

That relies on the Australians to sell the concept, and I'm far from convinced that they want to push anything other than Origin.

That's the bigger issue, and one that I think probably leaves it dead in the water.

Origin works and they right in considering it the pinnacle of the game. But events like the Kiwis, Tonga and (God help us) England beating Aus could change things. 

Though, I believe Origin and International football can live together. 

Again on clubs, English clubs are imho to blame more than the NRL ones.

For example, think about the England coach having to select no more than 3 players per game for the Samoa test. Embarassing. 

And while the Aussie make space in their calendar for a Rep/Int weekend, Super League doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Origin works and they right in considering it the pinnacle of the game. But events like the Kiwis, Tonga and (God help us) England beating Aus could change things. 

Though, I believe Origin and International football can live together. 

The concern I have is that for internationals to be given the kudos that they deserve, they would need to be viewed in as high a regard as Origin, and I'm not sure if that fits the Aussie narrative.

One way around this would is for them to be more open with Origin selection whereby players no longer have to commit to representing Australia. Am I right in thinking this is now the case, with some players playing Origin also opting for Tonga and Samoa? Or does anyone committing to NSW or Queensland still have to commit to Australia? Previously, this was one of the rulings that was really limiting international RL (and may still be for all I know).

5 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Again on clubs, English clubs are imho to blame more than the NRL ones.

I agree. The club game in Australia seems to be doing pretty well, with ever-increasing broadcasting deals and higher profile. Over here, the short-sightedness of the clubs is massively limiting the development of the game IMO. We're beginning to reap what we sow with the prospect of ever-reducing broadcasting deals, and clubs fighting over the scraps. More internationals will ultimately help to generate more interest for the club game.