W Bennet's Replacement

RayCee

I was happy with WB up to the last WC but since I not been so impressed. If he does go, who would be an ideal replacement? I think an English coach but wonder if there is a succession plan. Any ideas?

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edwards should not be allowed anywhere near a role in RL after the way he behaved with Wigan.

Powell is a reasonable call, whilst Wane will likely be on his way back to RL now the RUWC is over. Anderson is the current England Knights coach.

I understand Watson and Ward are Bennett's current assistants so presumably being lined up for the future, maybe it's time to bring one of them up.

Whomever it is they need to be coaching the 2020 games to help prepare for the 2021 RLWC.

2 hours ago, DiH68 said:

I’ve always thought Powell would be a good choice. Surprised he hasn’t had a crack yet... but maybe he doesn’t want it?

I think Powell declined to be an assistant IIRC. He should be the next coach IMO. He has Trent Robinson style qualities in getting the best out of players. We can spout all we want but individually the best 17 players in England aren't that great. It needs some innovation and smart tactics to get the best out of them.

If England go for safety in a coach, they will deliver mediocrity IMO. They need a coach to get them being adventurous. England scored six points against Tonga and eight against NZ. The forwards lay the platform and the backs don’t do that much. Is there a coach that can improve that side of things?

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

6 hours ago, Scubby said:

I think Powell declined to be an assistant IIRC. He should be the next coach IMO. He has Trent Robinson style qualities in getting the best out of players. We can spout all we want but individually the best 17 players in England aren't that great. It needs some innovation and smart tactics to get the best out of them.

Co-sign. We need a dynamic coach, but no matter how good he might be, he'll have limited playing resources in comparison with our Southern Hemisphere opponents.

I'd go for Daryl Powell. I wonder if Wane would consider an assistant role. Or maybe even a player development role.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

17 hours ago, The British Lion said:

He is lost to the game im afraid.

Good!

6 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

It has to be Powell IMO supported by Watson and Ward.

It has to Watson supported by Powell and Ward for mine.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

Good!

I'd in some way agree, Oxford. However, to go back to the route problem....our games vision and administration is the main reason why he has been lost to the game, like many other League legends recently. No pathway, no vision. The only other option - coach in RU. I don't blame Shaun Edwards for continuing his career in RU. I do have a small problem with him stating he would be the next Wigan Warriors coach, then reneging. But, he is human, and is looking after his life and his story (which one of us doesn't do that?) 

Look at the international RU players - Owen Farrell, George Ford etc.... from RL legend offspring.

We have to look at 'ourselves' as to why.

6 hours ago, The British Lion said:

I'd in some way agree, Oxford. However, to go back to the route problem....our games vision and administration is the main reason why he has been lost to the game, like many other League legends recently. No pathway, no vision. The only other option - coach in RU. I don't blame Shaun Edwards for continuing his career in RU. I do have a small problem with him stating he would be the next Wigan Warriors coach, then reneging. But, he is human, and is looking after his life and his story (which one of us doesn't do that?) 

Look at the international RU players - Owen Farrell, George Ford etc.... from RL legend offspring.

We have to look at 'ourselves' as to why.

We do have to look inwards to solve our problems but not because of the things you brought up. I don't blame him for going but he's gone.

The legends offspring are pretty irrelevant also.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Does Pep Guardiola know anything about RL?!

Brian Noble for me.

Brian Noble has accolades far above his station, he was in the right place at the right time,  he inherited a team from Matty Elliott and then had tbe biggest cheque book to add to the team, his tactics were one dimensional and had no where to go if plan A failed there was no plan B, and look at his record post Bradford it is diabolical, he also had a couple of years at the GB helm best forgotten,  tell me you are joking Hawkman you can't be serious?

Archived